Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 09:15 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I don't accuse of righteousness, I applaud it. And I see very little in American "family values" to applaud.
There has to be something between smacking a daughter's face, shoving her into concrete stairs and the everything goes you see in some American families.

I wondered what the daughter did or said -- my Dad was/is a great Dad but I would have imagined him reacting like this if one of his kids said the "f" word at him. He never went crazy but we always thought that if pushed he might or that was the fear.

Some American parents do allow much disrespect from their kids, but not all but I think the problem is when parents wait too long to try to get respect from their kids.

This little girl may still have it better than those kids - Americans or others - who have zero respect for their parents. One guy was telling me that he and his wife have no control at all over their 15 year old, she comes home drunk at 4 am, they have no idea who she's out all night with, if they ground her, they check the room and there's nothing but an open window, she tells them "F... off" if they try to tell her anything. They worry but they don't know what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 12:46 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,471,703 times
I love the way the guy comes up and shoves the "father" and then pushes him up the steps. I wish the men who were there would have ganged up on this piece of garbage and beat the living dog***** out of him.

I don't care about other "cultures" or "customs" --- NO ONE has the right to beat on a child the way this dirtbag was beating on that girl or in any way at all. I don't know what country this happened in but, since he seemed so comfortable doing this in public, I'm sure nothing happened to him.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:51 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianIce View Post
What disturbed me quite a bit was that no one reached out to the daughter to make sure she was okay. I do applaud the people for standing up to the father, but it took awhile before a couple of women came over to the girl to see how she was doing.

This is so sad. Especially because the girl barely reacts. You can tell she's used to this sort of treatment.

And in response to the PP, many, many Americans push their children around. In ANY culture, the type of behavior displayed in this video is abusive. Forget cultural values, this is a question of HUMAN values. Humans protect their children. They instinctively know not to harm someone smaller than them, especially their own offspring. It shouldn't be a question of culture. Yes, I know certain practices are more common in certain cultures, but that's not a free pass.
A lot of the people there were men, and it wouldn't have been acceptable in the girl's culture for them to do it. The Hasidic culture is very insular, and relations between men and women are very strict.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:01 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I don't know what country this happened in but, since he seemed so comfortable doing this in public, I'm sure nothing happened to him.
The family lives in France. It happened while they were vacationing in Israel. Israel deported the father back to France. No word on where the daughter is.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:08 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
A lot of the people there were men, and it wouldn't have been acceptable in the girl's culture for them to do it. The Hasidic culture is very insular, and relations between men and women are very strict.
Yet a man is who came and took her away. I think the reason it took so long is because they were dealing with the father and the mother was aruging with them. Most of the people who ended up gathering there didn't actually witness the incident. The ones who witnessed it were busy dealing with the father and the mother. Did you notice how the one man backed away from the mother as if he feared she would physically attack him? It probably took the newcomers a few minutes to figure out what was going on before they went to check on the girl.

But I found it disturbing that nobody in the daughter's family checked on her, not her mother, not her siblings. The girl looked like she was used to this type of treatment.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:43 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Yet a man is who came and took her away. I think the reason it took so long is because they were dealing with the father and the mother was aruging with them. Most of the people who ended up gathering there didn't actually witness the incident. The ones who witnessed it were busy dealing with the father and the mother. Did you notice how the one man backed away from the mother as if he feared she would physically attack him? It probably took the newcomers a few minutes to figure out what was going on before they went to check on the girl.

But I found it disturbing that nobody in the daughter's family checked on her, not her mother, not her siblings. The girl looked like she was used to this type of treatment.
He was also a cop, though, and she really reacted when he touched her on the shoulder.

I found it sad that no one in the family checked on her, too.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:02 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
When this happens in YOUR country, where you have a democratic right to participate in the enactment of civil and criminal laws regarding people's behavior, and you can compel them to act the way that conforms with YOUR social upbringing and customs, then come back and let us know, and we can talk about it.

I am getting really tired of Americans running around the world demanding that everybody do everything according to American customs. Policing everybody's family values, as if ours was any glowing standard of moral righteousness.
I don't care if you are from France, Israel, the U.S or Mars, it's not okay to beat your children like that. How disturbing that people would think this is okay and a private family matter.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:15 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,035,544 times
Why did he do it in front of the CCTV camera? He should know that parents are supposed to discipline their children at home and not for the world to see.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:11 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,852,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
Why did he do it in front of the CCTV camera? He should know that parents are supposed to discipline their children at home and not for the world to see.
Wow. There are so many things wrong with your statement that I don't know where to start. Maybe we were watching 2 different videos. The video the OP posted didn't show any discipline. It showed a man beating a girl who is much smaller than him, but no discpiline. The fact that it is her father just makes it much worse since he will have more power over her than anyone else (pretty much assuring she won't run away), and her father should be the person she turns to for help if a large man started beating her.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:13 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,294,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
Wow. There are so many things wrong with your statement that I don't know where to start. Maybe we were watching 2 different videos. The video the OP posted didn't show any discipline. It showed a man beating a girl who is much smaller than him, but no discpiline. The fact that it is her father just makes it much worse since he will have more power over her than anyone else (pretty much assuring she won't run away), and her father should be the person she turns to for help if a large man started beating her.
Absolutely couldn't have said it better! RIGHT ON!!! Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting