Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 08:39 AM

897 posts, read 2,459,792 times

Advertisements

About to find out about a PT job(3 days) for a newborn- what is the average pay and do they claim you for taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 08:57 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,286,596 times
It all depends on the region for the rate of pay and the family for the tax issue. Lawyers tend to deduct taxes because they risk losing their license.

This is really something you wait to find out after the job is offered. They might bring it up during the interview to clue you in. If not, I wouldn't be the one to raise the question until after recieving an offer. Make it part of your salary negotiations.

If they are claiming it on their taxes, make them be specific about if they will be deducting taxes or doing a 1099. If it's a 1099, your tax rate will be higher and your hourly pay should be adjusted accordingly to compensate you for the larger tax burden.

Overall, most pay under the table IMO.

This is something you'll just have to play by ear and reject offers according to whichever is your preference. So many people need childcare. You shouldn't feel like you must accept a situation that isn't to your liking. Wait to find the deal that fits you best.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:14 AM

37,273 posts, read 41,495,400 times
There are two issues here.

Claiming a credit on personal income tax for child care and paying the payroll taxes for the nanny as a household employee. The payroll taxes impact the employee. The tax credit does not.

It would be hazardous to try to take the credit without paying the nanny taxes. An IRS audit would pick it up.

Here is the IRS publication on payroll taxes for household employees, including nannys:

Publication 926 (2011), Household Employer's Tax Guide

As a nanny, if you are paid more than $1700 in a year, your employer must pay social security, Medicare, and federal unemployment taxes. Giving you a form 1099 is not an option. It would be illegal. In the long run, you receive credit toward your social security account for every quarter you and your employer pay into it, credit toward Medicare benefits later, and the option of filing for unemployment if you lose your job.

Workman's compensation laws vary from state to state. By paying workman's compensation taxes, you and your employer are covered if you are hurt on the job.

Unemployment tax and workman's comp are totally paid by the employer.

State income tax, where it exists, also has to be withheld, and state unemployment tax.

If you accept payment under the table, you will likely be paid less. What you save on taxes now you will lose in future social security benefits.

It has been a long time since we had a nanny. We paid all her taxes, including her share of the social security tax (which was lower than it is now.) And, yes, we did claim the child care credit when it became available.

So, I would be leery of an employer who does not want to do the payroll taxes. It's a pain in the neck to do the paperwork for one employee, but it has to be done. There's probably an app for it now!

What you will be responsible for is your federal and state income tax (if your income is high enough to owe any), your share of the Medicare tax (1.45% of your salary), and your share of the social security tax (4.2% of salary this year). The employer has to match the Medicare tax and pays 6.2% to social security. Usually, employer and employee pay the same to social security. The employee rate was lowered this year.

See here about pay:

Tips: How Much Do I Pay a Babysitter

Be sure you know what you will be expected to do in addition to baby care, laundry for example. If you do additional duties such as cooking or cleaning house, you should get paid more.

If you will be driving an employer's vehicle, make sure his insurance will cover you.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:28 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,241,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There are .... issues here.

If you will be driving an employer's vehicle, make sure his insurance will cover you.
If you are driving your own vehicle, make sure your insurance will cover you and the kid.

Sometimes personal insurance does not cover things if you are using the vehicle for work purposes.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
If you are driving your own vehicle, make sure your insurance will cover you and the kid.

Sometimes personal insurance does not cover things if you are using the vehicle for work purposes.

Yes!

Old 09-04-2011, 12:57 PM

thanks- I got the job and the family is paying my taxes but decided to reduce my hourly pay since they were paying my taxes which i do understand . I am not sure if I am being paid enough though. It is their 1st child so it is for a newborn- 24 hours a week- grandma is keeping the baby the other 2 days but I will keep her when grandma can't- so it could be 32 hours a week- they are paying me $10/hour but said it's really like 11.50 since they are paying the taxes- I am in alabama- older mom but have taught preschool for 13 years so I have experience and we are doing CPR as a group- mom, dad and grandma

Old 09-05-2011, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlsess View Post
thanks- I got the job and the family is paying my taxes but decided to reduce my hourly pay since they were paying my taxes which i do understand . I am not sure if I am being paid enough though. It is their 1st child so it is for a newborn- 24 hours a week- grandma is keeping the baby the other 2 days but I will keep her when grandma can't- so it could be 32 hours a week- they are paying me $10/hour but said it's really like 11.50 since they are paying the taxes- I am in alabama- older mom but have taught preschool for 13 years so I have experience and we are doing CPR as a group- mom, dad and grandma
If they are reducing your hourly rate they are not really "paying" your taxes. And someone miscalculated. $10 per hour plus the tax paid for you (Social Security and Medicare) is equivalent to about $10.56 per hour ($10 + .42 Social Security + .14 Medicare). If they were originally offering more than $10.56 per hour you would do better to pay your own taxes. As you can see, the amount is not very big.

Did you make sure you know exactly what they expect you to do besides care for the baby? And the car insurance thing?

Old 09-05-2011, 08:01 AM

SuzyQ- if I end up paying my own taxes I end up paying 30% not just the 15%- my accountant told me this and I also found it online so i think it is best for me financially to have them pay me the $10/hour - they also plan to use me at other times so I will be getting more hours

I will talk to them about the insurance- don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:10 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,286,596 times
Are you saying that your rate is $10/hour net (after taxes)? Or they reduced your gross (before taxes) is $10/hour?

If your net is $10/hour, that's not too bad since you live in a state with a low cost of living. Make sure you get pay stubs showing your taxes were deducted. You don't want to be paid a lower rate and then have them suddenly 1099 you at the end of the year.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:24 AM

Hopes-net is $10/hour- they said they will give me a W-2 in January
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting