Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 07:27 PM

89 posts, read 175,059 times

Advertisements

I placed an add on a local freecycle type website, announcing that I give away 2-3 bags of my baby's clothes, no stains, some never worn. I also mentioned that whoever gets them should come pick them up.

I received 4 emails in a row stating the same thing, from different people: they were giving out their mobile numbers, so that I would call THEM (my phone is listed in the announcement too) and so that they could give me pointers on to where should I go, to bring them the bags.

I really was not expecting eternal gratitude or some statue and a pansy, but ....I thought when you want stuff for free, you go at least and pick it up?
Told my husband, he also told me about his friend who wanted to give away a bike spare part and also announced the only condition was to come get it. Got as well emails "Could you take the subway to X station please, you're kinda far"

I guess I'll just keep the clothing for some friend / acquaintance that might have babies in the near future. Or myself, baby nr2. But anyways. Were my expectations over the top?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 07:28 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,355,088 times
Crazy. Just give the bag to Salvation Army, or something.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:39 PM

992 posts, read 2,372,803 times
Ugh. Freecycle. I go through this, too. I like to freecycle what I can, but with no shows and "can you take a picture" crap it's such a hassle.

I can't stand the emails with misspellings or "I want it". Ok...then tell me when you're coming and I'll hold it for you. Gah. Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:49 PM

89 posts, read 175,059 times

It's first time I actually try to give something away through Freecycle.
It looks very neat and I actually thought I can help a family without much hassle. I know how expensive baby clothing can be and that the babies also barely wear them 1-2 weeks and then move on to the next size.

I ended up with 3 bags full as most people brought as present clothing from the same age group: 0-2 months

We do not have Salvation Army but I'll just store them until I find some place that comes and picks them up. It;s impossible for me to carry the baby in one hand and the 3 bags in the other.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:08 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,907,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ina.Click View Post
I placed an add on a local freecycle type website, announcing that I give away 2-3 bags of my baby's clothes, no stains, some never worn. I also mentioned that whoever gets them should come pick them up.

I received 4 emails in a row stating the same thing, from different people: they were giving out their mobile numbers, so that I would call THEM (my phone is listed in the announcement too) and so that they could give me pointers on to where should I go, to bring them the bags.

I really was not expecting eternal gratitude or some statue and a pansy, but ....I thought when you want stuff for free, you go at least and pick it up?
Told my husband, he also told me about his friend who wanted to give away a bike spare part and also announced the only condition was to come get it. Got as well emails "Could you take the subway to X station please, you're kinda far"

I guess I'll just keep the clothing for some friend / acquaintance that might have babies in the near future. Or myself, baby nr2. But anyways. Were my expectations over the top?
Our freecycle doesn't seem to have problems with people picking up, but.... I would not put my phone number in the general ad. Oh, in freecycle, our rule is that you put a general location in the subject header, so people know approximately where you are though you never give out the address until they say they will pick up.

Usually, the person who wants the item emails, then I give them my phone or ask them when they want to come and pick up. The time is arranged and the person comes and picks up at that time. If they don't show, the next person on my list gets it, etc. So far, I have not had any no shows at all.

Perhaps your freecycle covers too large an area. Ours is really just a small area including a couple of towns. I never respond if the location is too far for me. I am sure others are the same.

Subway station? LOL. We don't have public transportation here. Maybe that is the difference too.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:12 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,907,200 times
Btw, another option here is yahoo groups that are specific to our area. I can usually give things away on my homeowners group fairly easily. Our Friends of the Library group has even been having a booksale and I sold all the donated romance novels through that group. (At 50 cents a piece, they were a bargain and the money went to the group that is trying to get a new library built).

Old 07-12-2011, 08:15 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,468,489 times
You can also donate them to a local ministry or young mothers home.

I can't believe people want you to bring it to them rather than them just picking it up. Ridiculous.

I used to give away a lot of stuff on Freecycle. I would usually meet the person at a neutral location simply because I didn't want people coming to my apartment. I have also dropped stuff to people simply because I wanted it gone.

In your ad, though, you mentioned they would have to pick up. I don't get where their confusion comes in??? Whenever I got stuff on Freecycle, I would be more than happy to go pick it up!

Old 07-12-2011, 08:46 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,924,677 times
I haven't done Freecycle, but I have given lots of stuff away in the free section of craigslist. People come from far away to pick up the most random crap! I usually gather a bunch of things, put them out on the front porch, and when people respond to my ad I tell them to come get it off the porch. I've never been asked to meet someone for a free thing, they always come pick it up. But I think some people prefer to meet because they don't like to give out their address. I don't like to hold stuff for anyone, because too often they don't show. For some reason I still agree to it too often, I guess I'm a sucker. Just tonight I had a no-show from craigslist who had asked me to hold something for him (not free).

Old 07-12-2011, 09:01 PM

973 posts, read 2,141,547 times
That is ridiculous. If I want something off freecycle, I'd go get it. I'd never expect someone GIVING me something to have to bring it anywhere. I suppose if they have no means of transportation, or a sob story & ask, but to expect? *shakes head*

Old 07-12-2011, 09:29 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,162,138 times
I do freecycle too and have never expected someone to bring the free stuff to me. You might wait and see if you get someone who sounds very grateful and offers to come pick it up. Do you have consignment sales or stores there? A lot of people here sell their gently used baby stuff.

I've had mixed results with freecycle. The first thing I offered was a train table. I had a lot of interest, but the person I promised it to didn't come get it, so I moved on to the next person. I was really surprised with her attitude. She was upset that I didn't call her. Whatever. I'm offering you a free train table... come get it! soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting