Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 06:17 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

SAN DIEGO — A San Diego woman has sued the company that owns the Chuck E. Cheese’s family restaurant chain, claiming that many of the games intended for children at these locations are actually illegal gambling devices — like slot machines.

Denise Keller, a local real estate agent and mother of two daughters ages 3 and 5, filed the potential class-action suit in U.S. District Court March 29. According to court documents, she is asking for a jury trial and damages and restitution of at least $5 million.

Chuck E. Cheese's sued for tot 'slots' - SignOnSanDiego.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 06:36 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Gee.....I wonder if this woman has ever considered just not going there if the thought of arcade games is so offensive. What an idiot! Greedy idiot!

Last edited by Zimbochick; 05-15-2011 at 07:58 PM..

Old 05-15-2011, 07:47 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,327 times
Incredible! People will sue for anything as long as they think they can get something out of it. She wasn't foreced to bring her kids there, that was her choice. If she didn't like it, she should have just left. I hope the courts throw the book at her for a frivolous lawsuit and a complete waste of the courts time.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:51 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,968,262 times
the worst part.... she will probably win and get those machines taken out of chuck e cheese forever gotta love the way our judicial system works -_-

Old 05-15-2011, 08:00 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
the worst part.... she will probably win and get those machines taken out of chuck e cheese forever gotta love the way our judicial system works -_-
That thought had crossed my mind, instead of just walking out and not going back, she's just got to ruin it for everyone else.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:26 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,968,262 times
gotta wonder sometimes if because these sorts of people sue over retarded crap like this and get it removed... does that mean i can sue them because they forced a change of something that ruined it for me or my children?

Old 05-15-2011, 09:21 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,511,056 times
Some people just want to ruin all the fun. And get all the money. $5 million in damages?!

Old 05-16-2011, 02:30 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,654,669 times
I'm not sure what the damages are about, but I think she has a point about some of the machines. They're not all like skeeball or whack-a-mole, where you get tickets based on the number of points you get; some of the 'games' are akin to slots or other gambling machines like that. If that's illegal, it's illegal, whether you're talking about a gambling parlor or a kids' play place. I was disappointed in the games like that the last time we went - they were set up for the kids to feed tokens in with minimal rewards, *not* designed for the kids to enjoy a fun game.

We didn't go back, because my guys didn't enjoy those, and that was almost the only type of 'game' they had. I'm all for getting rid of those, and having more games designed for the kids to actually enjoy playing. Playing, not gambling.

In a class-action suit, aren't the damages awarded to whomever patronized the place, and wants to sign up? So the money wouldn't go to her personally?

Old 05-16-2011, 05:55 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
OMG How absolutely ridiculous!!! If this is the case, then I guess *all* arcades will have to be shut down. How silly. How absolutely silly.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:32 AM

623 posts, read 1,602,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
I'm not sure what the damages are about, but I think she has a point about some of the machines. They're not all like skeeball or whack-a-mole, where you get tickets based on the number of points you get; some of the 'games' are akin to slots or other gambling machines like that. If that's illegal, it's illegal, whether you're talking about a gambling parlor or a kids' play place. I was disappointed in the games like that the last time we went - they were set up for the kids to feed tokens in with minimal rewards, *not* designed for the kids to enjoy a fun game.

We didn't go back, because my guys didn't enjoy those, and that was almost the only type of 'game' they had. I'm all for getting rid of those, and having more games designed for the kids to actually enjoy playing. Playing, not gambling.

In a class-action suit, aren't the damages awarded to whomever patronized the place, and wants to sign up? So the money wouldn't go to her personally?
Isn't something as innocent as collecting types of cards gambling then? I have to pay x amount of dollars in the hopes I get one of the hard to find or rare cards. I am in a sense gambling in the hopes I am going to get that card. Are we going to sue collectible card manufactures next? They should have to list every card in the pack so our kids know what they are buying. And I better never see another person charging money for a grab bag because I will sue them too.

Where does it end?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting