Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 10:35 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,205,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
There actually are a lot of kids in our neighborhood, but you never see them outside ever. Not sure why.
Because all of the other children are living the same life you described your daughter has:
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
My child is in school all week and after school has sports activities. On Saturdays, she is in activities all day as well. Sundays is "our" time --- whether is just be for grocery shopping, store shopping, museum, a show, a movie, or just hanging out at home doing nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 10:36 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,325,689 times
Why do people think kids are "supposed" to play in the streets???????

In my job I am forever baffled by the many people who have come into our office to complain about this or that because the neighborhood children wouldn't be able to "play in the streets". Streets are NOT playgrounds. I grew up in the 50's and 60's when that was pretty common, but I'll tell you what ~ my parents dang sure wouldn't have allowed it (I grew up on a farm so it wasn't an issue, anyway).

Today, it's too many video games and computers. And parents are less likely to send their kids outside to play for hours because of too many child predators out there. It's a changed nation where this sort of thing is concerned.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:29 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,935,182 times
I live pretty near to the OP, and I have noticed the same thing. I also live on a pretty quiet cul-de-sac and I know that there are many kids on the street the same ages as my kids. I have been out with my daughter on her bike several times recently in the wonderful weather and we have been surprised that nobody else has been outside. When that happens, we will walk/ride all around the block and talk together, and my dd likes to pick flowers by the side of the road (ie dandelions and buttercups). We often walk the whole block on a Saturday afternoon and don't see any other kids, though we know that many live here.

But then on other days, it is as another poster described. One kid will go out to play, then another will see and join, and before you know it, every kid on the block is out in the cul-de-sac, the parents are milling around chatting, and all is picture perfect. We just have not been successful at being that first kid ourselves I guess.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:56 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,767,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
If the neighborhood is in a safe area, if there is a yard and I can easily see them from the house or have quick access to check on them regularly - yes, I would certainly let them outside in the yard without supervision once they are above 3 and I am not afraid that they are about to break their neck at every step.
My son just turned seven, and we let him go in the front yard by himself this weekend. Until recently, he didn't express much interest in going outside--he'd rather stay inside and play with his Legos. One of his friends (his best friend, I guess) lives in a townhouse a few neighborhoods away, and this boy always wants to go outside. He doesn't have much of a yard at his own house, so when he comes here he wants to go outside. We just got a basketball hoop, and when kids were here for my son's birthday party on Saturday, they wanted to go outside. Great! I think my son is catching on that "outside" can be fun. It seems weird to me, because I was one of those kids who had to be home when the street light came on and I was frequently late, but this is something that my son had to learn. MAKING him go outside made it a punishment or power struggle, so I'd only encourage or suggest it. But yesterday, he asked if he could go outside. He and I went around the block (he rode his bike, I walked, and I ran for a bit to encourage him to go faster), and then he wanted to play catch. I had to come inside after an hour or two to make dinner, and he asked if he could stay outside by himself. We went over the rules and what "stay in the yard" means (there are few fences around here, so it's not as well defined). We kept an eye on him, but he stayed out there for another 30 minutes or so, which is great. I'm hoping to bring his friend home from school once a week (he is in the after-school program because his parents work outside the home), so they can run around outside.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:25 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,325,689 times
Julia ~

I relate. As a child growing up on a farm I was very balanced between enjoying my time inside (playing with toys, TV, drawing or coloring) and running amuk outside. I had an extremely active imagination and was a master at entertaining myself. Therefore, I never understood why so many children aren't the same.

My daughter ~ total, polar opposite. She didn't like to play outside by herself much at all and was couldn't entertain herself worth a darn. Then, of course, along came Nintendo to change things further. I couldn't understand it at all. It drove me nuts and I lacked patience.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:50 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,362,734 times
I push my kids outside. If they say they can't find something to do or they are bored, I won't accept it as an answer. 9 times out of 10 they find themselves becoming engrossed in the world of pretend.

I, too, lament the days of free play outside for kids.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:21 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,202,035 times
sidewalk chalk, ringtoss, hoola hoops, jacks, remote control cars, frisbees, all those types of outside toys are a great way to get them outside but probably the best is a playmate, either kid or adult. This mothers day my girls were the ones to lure everybody outside and we all had a great time. Looks like Sundays are the best times with little team sports, etc. I'll keep trying.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:39 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,767,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
sidewalk chalk, ringtoss, hoola hoops, jacks, remote control cars, frisbees, all those types of outside toys are a great way to get them outside but probably the best is a playmate, either kid or adult. This mothers day my girls were the ones to lure everybody outside and we all had a great time. Looks like Sundays are the best times with little team sports, etc. I'll keep trying.
That's great! My son has two older sisters who do not play outside (I can picture my oldest's face if I suggested she play outside --well, except for the basketball hoop). My son frequently asks to play with a neighbor boy, but his mother always has some reason her son can't play so we quit asking. I'm thinking a playmate will help draw him out. Good idea about the chalk ... we would like to get a ring toss or "cornhole" game too. I'm not sure my son wouldn't drive an RC car into the street, LOL. Maybe when he is a little older.

When I was small, I did spend most of my time with my nose in a book. It wasn't until we moved a few years later that I went outside more and played with neighbor kids.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:54 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,040,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
My son just turned seven, and we let him go in the front yard by himself this weekend.
Your son is seven years old and you just now let him go in the front yard by himself?!?

There is no hope for this generation of kids.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:23 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,362,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
Your son is seven years old and you just now let him go in the front yard by himself?!?

There is no hope for this generation of kids.
Does the fact that I allow both of my sons to play outside, in our yard, since age 3 without supervision negate this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting