Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2011, 12:18 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,580,094 times

Advertisements

That sucks rkb. The most tragic part of malignant melanoma is it's is (mostly) so preventable. Around here everyone uses tanning beds, my neighbors have one in their basement, and they all use it, including the young teenagers. So silly.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:04 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,485,720 times
I meant to thank you for that reminder on sunscreen Zimbo. It is especially important out here in the high altitude. It doesn't take much to burn and we are often distracted and forget to put it on - especially early in the season. DH and DD took Macie to the dogpark this afternoon and I was glad to see DH applying the sunscreen to his face, neck and ears. He forgot a couple of weekends ago when he went golfing....

DD headed home a bit ago, after the requisite Costco run. I got some yardwork done. Sat outside on the deck with DH for a bit. We are really pleased with how our yard is turning out as it matures. It ought to look really good by the time we're ready to move.

jkcoop - we really need a renovation in our master bath also. Unfortunately, that will most likely be the very last place we put money since no one sees it but us. It definitely will need to be done before we could ever sell the house though. I really would like to do a mini-kitchen makeover next. New sink, countertops and lighting. Must play lottery soon.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:12 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,217,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
DD headed home a bit ago, after the requisite Costco run. I got some yardwork done. Sat outside on the deck with DH for a bit. We are really pleased with how our yard is turning out as it matures. It ought to look really good by the time we're ready to move.
Very nice!

It's dead quiet here. DH is miserable because of his face. I finally asked if it hurts and he said "Yes". So I gave him a big dose of Motrin and sent him to bed. Usually when he's sick he let's me know . (Man-rule.) So for him to be quiet I knew he was really hurting.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
DH is miserable because of his face.
What is wrong with his face? Did I miss something? With DD here I've been off and on here....

ETA: Nevermind...I see it now.......poor guy. Hope he feels better.

Last edited by maciesmom; 06-12-2011 at 04:26 PM..

Old 06-12-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I meant to thank you for that reminder on sunscreen Zimbo.
Actually FR was the first to bring it up, so thanks FR. I must admit to being more diligent with myself than the kids who have WAAAY more melanin than me. They are good about putting on sunscreen, but they are both terrible about keeping hats on. And they swim all day long.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:19 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,979,846 times
I am pretty pissed that I did burn.
I am usually pretty careful and never have gotten this brown before, its weird seeing myself and how brown my arms are.
I just don't know whats up with this summer. I am brown...and I mean really brown.

I wore nothing but tank tops/spaghetti straps in Tennessee and just the running around driving my grandmother everywhere being outside etc, I just browned that whole time.

I do have separate sunscreen for faces. Its an oil free. SPF 30. And my make-up that I use, some Almay stuff that goes from white to the color of your skin, it has an SPF of 15 I think and I use chap stick with an SPF as well.

Since the burn I have been staying inside and not going out until night time.
I think my mom and I might go to walmart today and I'll throw in a bottle of sunscreen. They took the bottle that I had last summer and never gave it back.

Anyways, after this burn I am going to be much more careful but I do plan on being out side a lot this summer. I have trips to Elitches planned and WaterWorld, I plan on hanging out with my brother at the skatepark a lot, someone needs to keep him out of trouble, there have been some kids harassing him and his friends he's a good kid but he's arrogant and runs his mouth and mocks the kids. They really are pretty stupid but he shouldn't point it out to them and I need to start running for police academy. Not looking forward to the running but I think I will start out with short runs with my dog.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:23 PM

We had such a laugh today. My MIL (a very nasty person) saw pictures of me and DH dressed up for a 60's party. I had frizzed out my hair chanelling Janis Joplin, and DH had cultivated and groomed Sons of Anarchy facial hair for the party. MIL had no idea why we looked the way we did, but thought this was our new thing , so she phoned my mother to phone me to tell us that she did not approve of our new look. My mom was at the party, so she explained to MIL, but when she phoned to tell us, she could barely speak as she was laughing so hard.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:24 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,133,745 times
I'm giving maciesmom some competition on the cleaning and organizing front this weekend. I'm amazed at what I've accomplished! Almost every room is completely cleared out, organized and cleaned. There are some odds and ends to pull together tomorrow. When hubby is off starting Tuesday, we'll tackle the attic together and my house will be completely done!

I have precancer all over my right arm and the edge of my shoulder. That means I got it from being a passenger in the car growing up. It's not melanoma, but that precancer that can turn into squamous cells later. I had one removed by my regular doctor for biopsy. I'm waiting for my dermatologist appointment to have the rest removed. There's one on my neck and one on my ear too----all on my right side. I haven't driven in a car as a passenger much since I got my driver's license at 16. This is all sun damage from childhood!

Old 06-12-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
I'm giving maciesmom some competition on the cleaning and organizing front this weekend. I'm amazed at what I've accomplished! Almost every room is completely cleared out, organized and cleaned. There are some odds and ends to pull together tomorrow. When hubby is off starting Tuesday, we'll tackle the attic together and my house will be completely done!

Yay! Good for you. I really find that I feel so much "lighter" when I chip away at those tasks that I dread. Do as much as you can while you're on a roll....but try not to overdo it.....

Old 06-12-2011, 06:31 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,217,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Wanna come over? I'll feed you lunch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.