Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2011, 02:31 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times

Advertisements

Oh gosh, I loved the Red Tent. After placing a big order with B & N last week, my book club chose to read Wench, so I went back last night. So many book, so little time. I really don't like TV as much as I love reading. My mother was a librarian when I was a kid, which may have a little to do with that.

I just got back from a day of blueberry picking. All I had to do was hold my bucket under a cluster, and had over 5 lbs in less than an hour. So happy! Now I have to get them in the freezer to keep the boys from chowing down on them tonight.

I will have to check out Ann Creel. Our resident author is Karen White, but she writes chick lit and I hate her stuff. It can be embarrassing.... I went to school with Mary Jane Clark, who was the daughter in law of Mary Higgins Clark. Mary Jane's sister was my elementary school BFF.

I have heard good reviews of Room.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:33 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,957,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Just returned from running to the mall with DS. That doesn't happen very often! He needed some jeans and shoes and I needed a few things. Usually, he hates doing stuff like that - we are in and out of someplace in about 15 min with him rolling his eyes if I ask him to try something on before I buy it. This was actually pleasant today. We even had lunch! I love having that one on one time....I take it however and whenever I can get it!
This is a good idea. I may need to use that tactic to get DS to a store to get some clothes. He really, really needs them but it's the most torturous thing ever. He is so tall and skinny that it is a nightmare finding him anything. But if food is involved - especially eating out - I may be able to rope him in.

I was going to Kohl's yesterday and wanted him to go with me but there was no way he was going. Said he'd wait right before school started. Kohl's rarely has anything he can wear anyway.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:44 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
I'm not much of a TV watcher either. DH loves TV and movies. He never was a big reader but about 10 years ago he had eye surgery (detatched retinas). He had some permanent damage and his eyes just get tired easily. Working takes a lot out of him. He will occasionally read a bit of nonfiction though....

Old 07-09-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
This is a good idea. I may need to use that tactic to get DS to a store to get some clothes. He really, really needs them but it's the most torturous thing ever. He is so tall and skinny that it is a nightmare finding him anything. But if food is involved - especially eating out - I may be able to rope him in.

I was going to Kohl's yesterday and wanted him to go with me but there was no way he was going. Said he'd wait right before school started. Kohl's rarely has anything he can wear anyway.
I was shocked he agreed. He even didn't object to stopping at the used book store. He even came in and petted the 10 week old kitty they had...Usually, shopping with him entails listening to him say "I don't really care" and "can we be done now?"

Old 07-09-2011, 03:17 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
I just had a crazy thought. We could start our own book club. Who says we have to be in the same room for it to work?
I could go for that if y'all picked something good.

Stephanie Meyers (Twilight books) lives in our area. Maybe I've mentioned this before but I see her in our local B&N and think, "What is this like for you?" To see your own books and all the merchandise and hoop-la when you are out shopping with your kids must be incredible. Especially since she's pretty much an ordinary mom up here. Not exactly the literary center of the universe.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
I just had a crazy thought. We could start our own book club. Who says we have to be in the same room for it to work?
Or even just share some of our favorites - I'm always looking for stuff to read. We may not all have the same taste in books but even if we find one or two that might appeal to us that's always a good thing!

Which reminds me - when I was coming out of the used book store today, someone was going in with a box of books. On the top? Peace Like a River. I told DS as we were walking out that I'd have to go back and grab that (I had noticed earlier that they had several copies). That's a book I enjoyed and always regretted not owning. Someone lent it to me to read. Having you guys bring it up again reminded me of how much I enjoyed it. Now I want it on my shelf. I wouldn't mind rereading it since it's been quite a number of years since I originally read it.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:23 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
mm- thanks for the book offer. One of the reasons those 2 are up next is because I own them both! Someone recommended The Red Tent, and when I saw it at Goodwill, I grabbed it. Olive Kitteridge is one I bought for book club last summer, then never read. The club is on a 2-month break for summer at the moment.

We're going to a wedding tonight. It is outside, so I really hope the thunderstorms can hold off for one day!

Old 07-09-2011, 03:46 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
rkb - Have a good time!

We stopped in at a used bookstore after lunch. I found one of my very favorite books in the clearance section for a buck. "A Country Year - Living The Questions" by Sue Hubbell. It's her story of living the simple life on a farm in the Ozarks. Perfect condition. Also got "Bella Tuscany" by Frances Mayes for a buck and "Moon Shot" by Alan Shepard and Deke Slayton (Mercury astronauts) for $2.00. I walked out of there happy!

Old 07-09-2011, 05:13 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,853,029 times
I have a strange history with reading. I actually didn't learn how to read until I was in 2nd grade. I tricked everyone into thinking I could read because I would memorize everything that was read to me. I could turn the pages at the right spots every time. Most of that was because my kindergarten teacher laughed at me when I saw a funny looking g (you know the ones that almost look like a fancy 8) and asked her what it was. I was so embarassed that I just pretended like I knew how to read after that.

Anyways, in second grade a teacher caught me just before Christmas break and worked with me. I was reading on a 5th grade level by the end of the year. I read some, but when I was about 12 my mom gave me a book that she liked and thought I might like it too. That book is the book that got me into reading. I thought that if there are more books with stories like that, I wanted to find them all. Here is that book Amazon.com: A Land Remembered (9780910923125): Patrick D Smith: Books. My brother was never a big reader, but about 3 years ago he read it (long story on why he actually read a book) and loved it so much he bought all of the books by that author. He is now into reading too.

Does anyone else have "that book" that got them into reading? Or am I just strange. I mean... I know I am strange , but am I strange on that point?

Old 07-09-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Does anyone else have "that book" that got them into reading? Or am I just strange. I mean... I know I am strange , but am I strange on that point?

LOL!

I came from a family of readers and honestly don't remember NOT being able to read. I don't really remember being read to by my parents, although I'm sure they did but stopped once I could read to myself. Both my kids were kind of reluctant readers. I read to them constantly which they enjoyed immensly but they just didn't get into reading on their own unless it was absolutely necessary. Getting them to read for that requisite 1/2 hour a day was a battle, which always amazed me. I would have been in heaven had someone ever told me here's a book, now go spend 1/2 hr reading. When I was in jrhigh in CA, we had to take reading as a subject every year. Once or twice a week the whole class period was set aside for reading. I always thought that was the best thing ever. It kind of balanced out my intense hatred of PE (which was also required).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting