Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 11:23 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,063,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Apparently you missed the thread discussing this trend of asking for donations instead of gifts. A lot of us were lukewarm about this, especially when the donation is for a specific charity. Speaking for myself, I don't like to be told what charity to donate to. Memberships are great, but aren't they a little expensive?
Guess I missed that thread, sorry if my thoughts don't apply here.

The cost of memberships depends on the place and type of memberhip. Also, if you buy more than one at a time you sometimes get a discount. We recently bought a gift membership to a Botanical Garden for a friend's family for $45 for the year. It's normally $60 for the year but because we renewed our own family membership at the same time they offered a discount.

Some families right now would even appreciate something like a CostCo membership or something along those lines. Not exactly great to give to kids for a birthday, but for a family in tough times it's a great gift. Or just an offer of a CostCo trip and splitting the cost and dividing up items or something a long those lines.

We once gave a family a states park pass. We live in an area where we have tons of beautiful state parks and they are very popular spots for family weekends.

Also, punch cards for the pool are fun gifts for kids. At our pool I think they are around $30.

Magazine subscriptions are also fun gifts for kids. My kids used to love the National Geographic for Kids and the Time Magazine for Kids editions when they were younger. Ranger Rick and Highlights are also classics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 09:10 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,748,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Gift-giving is one of the oldest and most useless forms of pageantry in human culture. The only reason it is retained is because the retail market for consumer goods keeps spending billions of dollars persuading people that NOT giving a gift is a direct path to social ostracization.

I do not ever want anybody to give me a gift, for any reason or pretext. If i need it or want it, i already have it. Which is a guarantee that If I don't already have it, I don't need and don't want it.
That's irrelevant to a little kid, though. They want stuff. You probably did too at that age.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,922,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Guess I missed that thread, sorry if my thoughts don't apply here.

The cost of memberships depends on the place and type of memberhip. Also, if you buy more than one at a time you sometimes get a discount. We recently bought a gift membership to a Botanical Garden for a friend's family for $45 for the year. It's normally $60 for the year but because we renewed our own family membership at the same time they offered a discount.

Some families right now would even appreciate something like a CostCo membership or something along those lines. Not exactly great to give to kids for a birthday, but for a family in tough times it's a great gift. Or just an offer of a CostCo trip and splitting the cost and dividing up items or something a long those lines.

We once gave a family a states park pass. We live in an area where we have tons of beautiful state parks and they are very popular spots for family weekends.

Also, punch cards for the pool are fun gifts for kids. At our pool I think they are around $30.

Magazine subscriptions are also fun gifts for kids. My kids used to love the National Geographic for Kids and the Time Magazine for Kids editions when they were younger. Ranger Rick and Highlights are also classics.
$30-45 is way more than I would spend for a birthday present for a kid's party.

Here is the thread where this charitable donation issue was discussed:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/paren...-question.html

Old 04-07-2011, 01:15 PM

5 posts, read 5,029 times
Default saving and spending choices

[quote=no kudzu;18201845]

So I started asking them :"which do you want - a family day trip to the zoo or a boat load of plastic toys " of course they wanted the zoo.

To me, this is a great question. When you let the kid make a real choice, they start to see how money works. I've been looking at these kinds of forums, seeing how people teach their kids to manage money. There are different ways, but I think it's all about giving the kids choices. We let the kids pick out some things they want to save for - add to it a college saving, just a bit, and a charity - then let them spend their money. They feel independent and see how you can't buy everything, you have to make choices.

Last edited by JustJulia; 04-08-2011 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: New members may not post links

Old 09-28-2011, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMomma123 View Post
In my opinion, the way that we give gifts through our children’s childhood is completely wasteful. I read that by the time a child is 18, they have received anywhere from 15,000 to 30,000 in gifts through birthdays, holidays, graduations, etc

I mean why do we put so much emphasis on little toys, trinkets or gift certificates when we could actually be making significant contributions to our children’s future? (Saving for college, first car, etc)
totally agree, I intend to get a time-teaching watch for my 4 y.o. granddaughter's birthday. The display uses activity pictograms ( a little teddy bear, a tooth brush...) , instead of digits or hands. The child is supposed to rapidly associate activities (lunch, play, nap...) with key moments of the day.

Anybody knows of this method?

Cheers. Daphne.

Last edited by JustJulia; 09-28-2011 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: new members may not post links, sorry

Old 09-28-2011, 12:32 PM

17,431 posts, read 16,608,757 times
Kids enjoy opening up presents and playing with the toys that they want now. I wouldn't take that away from them.

College funds are important, too - but those are b-o-r-i-n-g when kids are little.

Maybe the solution would be to buy a toy and put an equal amount into a savings plan.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:23 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,231,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daphneB View Post
totally agree, I intend to get a time-teaching watch for my 4 y.o. granddaughter's birthday. The display uses activity pictograms ( a little teddy bear, a tooth brush...) , instead of digits or hands. The child is supposed to rapidly associate activities (lunch, play, nap...) with key moments of the day.

Anybody knows of this method?

Cheers. Daphne.
You mean instead of "both hands are on 12 which means noon" it shows something like a sandwich? It implies we have to eat at noon. I vote No. Teaches regimentation more than how to tell time.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:16 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,093,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You mean instead of "both hands are on 12 which means noon" it shows something like a sandwich? It implies we have to eat at noon. I vote No. Teaches regimentation more than how to tell time.
The child will grow up and work at McDonalds, and on the cash register, just press a button with a picture of a Big Mac on it, instead of the numbers 4-9-5.

Undershirts! Every kid needs undershirts.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:55 PM

572 posts, read 1,300,749 times
OMG... I hate wasteful gift giving... My MIL buys the most ridiculous toys for my kids (in ridiculous quantities). One year I told her that the kids enjoyed toy kitchen stuff. She bought over 1,000 pieces of fake plastic food-- I KID YOU NOT. Then had a poop fit when I sold them this year at a garage sale-- dude my kids are 5 and 7, they don't play with their toddler kitchen set anymore. I can't keep EVERY SINGLE TOY.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:09 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,387,249 times
I don't think gifts are wasteful, but they can certainly be overdone. I remember reading in the Tightwad Gazette once about a tipping point, where once you put a certain number of gifts under the tree adding more won't make a child any happier or more satisfied.

We usually buy our children one special gift for Christmas or their birthdays. It's always something they really want and will use. Past examples have been American Girl dolls, Ipods, laptops, Wi gaming systems and digital cameras and camcorders. They're grandparents and aunts and uncles tend to gift gift cards which they love and save until they can purchase what they want on sale.

We'll also stuff their stockings with small, fun gifts and this seems to satisfy them. We live in a small house on a limited budget. Filling the house with gifts that will soon be forgotten wouldn't work for us on any level.

But, to each their own. I have a wealthy family member who buys her kids so many presents that they have to haul them home in a trailer (they celebrate Christmas out of state). They can afford it and have a 5,000-square-foot home so storage isn't an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting