Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 02:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
I'm more concerned that if the sterilization were allowed, it would set a precedent for others to be sterilized under conditions in which the patient were deemed incapable of making decisions. As an "out there" argument, one could argue that a 13 year old is incapable of making this type of decision, therefore, a parent can choose sterilization, rather than abortion or adoption.

This is a tough situation and I can't fault the mother for wanting to do this. However, I do have a problem with the permanent removal of reproductive ability without a woman's consent, even one who is mentally challenged. I would not normally advocate forcing birth control shots against the patient's consent, but if there was no other option, I'd rather see that than forced sterilization or abortion in this particular case.
Actually, sterilizing disabled women used to be a pretty standard practice.

I don't buy the argument that you could then make a case for a 13 year old to be sterilized as well.

I do agree with those who have said the grandparents shouldn't have to be taking care of baby after baby. Even very young grandparents will eventually age and die, probably before the kids come "of age" if this goes on until the mom is at the end of her child-bearing years. As has also been stated, compliance with birth control is not always achievable, and even the best bc can fail. No easy answers. If the younger woman is disabled enough to need a guardian, I think the guardian should be able to make the decision. I say this with some reservation, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 10:00 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,583,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
I'm more concerned that if the sterilization were allowed, it would set a precedent for others to be sterilized under conditions in which the patient were deemed incapable of making decisions. As an "out there" argument, one could argue that a 13 year old is incapable of making this type of decision, therefore, a parent can choose sterilization, rather than abortion or adoption.

This is a tough situation and I can't fault the mother for wanting to do this. However, I do have a problem with the permanent removal of reproductive ability without a woman's consent, even one who is mentally challenged. I would not normally advocate forcing birth control shots against the patient's consent, but if there was no other option, I'd rather see that than forced sterilization or abortion in this particular case.
I think there is a marked difference between a 13 year old who makes bad judgments (as most do at that age) and a mentally disabled adult who has already become pregnant twice. The 13 year old is temporarily incompetent and may eventually have the capability to be a good parent upon reaching adulthood, where as the adult who is mentally disabled is permanently incompetent, at least in terms of being able to support herself and adequately and independently raise a child. While it's lovely that she can enjoy a relationship with her also disabled boyfriend and could even care for children in other capacities (perhaps through volunteering), if it will be up to the grandmother (and eventually the state) to raise any other children, it may be the best of the bad options to have her sterilized now.

It's an awful decision to have to make and I feel for all involved. I just have to question whether it would be less painful to stop after two children, rather than to allow her to have 10... at some point, the grandmother will be incapable of caring for them all (including the adult daughter she must care for) and will eventually not be around any longer. Additionally, will it at some point become more traumatic and medically dangerous for the daughter to have abortions, or to go through so many pregnancies only to have her children given up for adoption one by one? Sometimes there isn't a good choice to be had, but families are forced to choose from the best of heartbreaking options.

Last edited by h886; 02-27-2011 at 10:09 AM..

Old 02-27-2011, 04:02 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,054,775 times
Once again we are focusing on the woman.

I would also like to see the parents/gaurdians of mentally incompetent males held financially responsible when they impregnate someone.

The parents/guardians of a mentally incompetent male should be in the same position as the parents/gaurdians of a woman in this type of circumstance. Take the child that is born to raise, financially support it, or have the male sterilized.

We have to get rid of the idea that the right to have children is sacred.

If someone is mentally unable to care for a child, they shouldn't be permitted to willy nilly run about and produce children they will NEVER be able to care for......male or female.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting