Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 06:16 AM

2,719 posts, read 5,361,017 times

Advertisements

I think that some parents get upset when these things are marketed towards younger girls because they (the parents) are put in a position to have to say no and they don't want to be the bad guy especially if half the class is wearing it.

I'm in the "if you don't want your young daughter wearing make up, then don't buy it" camp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 06:24 AM

25,964 posts, read 22,143,367 times
This sounds so unfortunate but when it comes to making a buck or hooking someone early, I suspect they will all jump on this one. Sadly, those chemicals are absorbed into the body and now they are starting earlier so more health issues will probably surface. Don't think the skin absorbs chemicals? Think birth control patch, nicotine patch, etc. Nothing like sexing up an elementary age girl for the pervs that lurk behind every corner these days!

Old 02-01-2011, 09:37 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,054,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
...Sadly, those chemicals are absorbed into the body and now they are starting earlier so more health issues will probably surface. Don't think the skin absorbs chemicals? Think birth control patch, nicotine patch, etc....
People tend to forget about that, don't they? Our skin is our largest organ ... anything we put on our skin is absorbed into our bodies and must be processed by our other internal organs just as anything else that we might put in our mouths. And yet nothing that is considered "body care" like lotions, soap, makeup, chemical treatments, etc. and even things like the fragrances in laundry soap and fabric softeners (or the number of other chemicals in laundry products) have to be deemed safe for consumption by the FDA.

Kinda weird when you really stop to think about it.

It kinda makes me wonder if chemical addiction isn't just limited to things like cigarettes, alcohol, drugs (illegal or otherwise), food, or etc. Is it possible to become addicted to things like makeup or certain body care products as well? I know someone who will only use Snuggle fabric softener. She literally "loses it" if she's out and cannot find the particular kind she wants at the store. When she was overseas and couldn't get it, she had people in America ship it to her. Was Snuggle her drug de jour? Sounds bizarre, but you have to wonder...

Old 02-01-2011, 11:04 AM

705 posts, read 1,760,185 times
So....did you guys miss the part where some of the Walmart products have 'anti-aging' properties? Really. Not only do we teach our young girls that they 'aren't enough' without makeup, we now think that 8 year olds need to put crap on their faces that prevent aging? really.

And before anyone gets all upset, when I say 'we teach our young girls' I mean as a society. And yes, parents can choose to teach their girls that what is on the inside counts, everyone has different beauty......sure. But I have to tell you, I have a hard time not being affected by the media culture, and I am 45. Really tough to ignore all the messages when you are only 8. Really, really tough.

Walmart's 'anti-aging' makeup for 8-year-old girls - The Week

Old 02-01-2011, 11:06 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,711,708 times
Isn't this just one of the hundreds of clear cut cases of people are simply going to do what is right for their family/children based on their own values? Family X may not think that makeup is appropriate for girls of that age, but Family Y may think it's completely fine. Why then does Family X's values trump those of Family Y's? If Family X feels that their values are threatened then they have done a poor job instilling those values and most likely find that their reasoning is arbitrary.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:31 AM

13,427 posts, read 9,962,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Isn't this just one of the hundreds of clear cut cases of people are simply going to do what is right for their family/children based on their own values? Family X may not think that makeup is appropriate for girls of that age, but Family Y may think it's completely fine. Why then does Family X's values trump those of Family Y's? If Family X feels that their values are threatened then they have done a poor job instilling those values and most likely find that their reasoning is arbitrary.
I see what you're saying, but I think it goes deeper than an individual family's values. I think it is a broader issue that is capable of effecting young girls as a whole - we're saying (as a society) by offering this line and trying to get them to start a beauty regimen at an age where beauty should be the least of their problems, that they are not good enough without it.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I see what you're saying, but I think it goes deeper than an individual family's values. I think it is a broader issue that is capable of effecting young girls as a whole - we're saying (as a society) by offering this line and trying to get them to start a beauty regimen at an age where beauty should be the least of their problems, that they are not good enough without it.
Aren't there plenty of things where societies values often cross with those of individual families? To presume that the mere availability of makeup geared towards children causes a line to be crossed wherein we reduce our girls self esteem is a bit of a stretch. The ultimate authority on these issues is still the parents. If your conviction that it is wrong is that strong, than you will not fall into the societal pressure trap to buy it for your child. There are obviously enough people who feel that it's acceptable so it exists, nor does it mean parents who buy it are reinforcing a negative self image despite what your opinion may be.

Again, your opposition to it is valid for you, but that doesn't mean that the opposing view points are wrong. This to me is an issue where you are somewhat asking society to legislate morality. Last I checked, it has always been the family that generated morality while society constantly assaulted it.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:50 AM

705 posts, read 1,760,185 times
There is a vast difference between legislating morality (ie passing laws forbidding a thing) and recognizing that as a society we are valuing the wrong things.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:04 PM

13,427 posts, read 9,962,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Aren't there plenty of things where societies values often cross with those of individual families? To presume that the mere availability of makeup geared towards children causes a line to be crossed wherein we reduce our girls self esteem is a bit of a stretch. The ultimate authority on these issues is still the parents. If your conviction that it is wrong is that strong, than you will not fall into the societal pressure trap to buy it for your child. There are obviously enough people who feel that it's acceptable so it exists, nor does it mean parents who buy it are reinforcing a negative self image despite what your opinion may be.

Again, your opposition to it is valid for you, but that doesn't mean that the opposing view points are wrong. This to me is an issue where you are somewhat asking society to legislate morality. Last I checked, it has always been the family that generated morality while society constantly assaulted it.
I didn't say opposing viewpoints are wrong. I am saying I think, IMO, it's a deeper issue, that goes beyond the individual, and whether or not the individual will buy it for their child. If you don't think so then that's your right. I don't know why people ask a question and then when somebody responds to it they get annoyed that they do so.

I also don't think it's a moral issue. I'm not asking society to legislate morals, I'm asking it to not make our little girls who are really too young to be thrown into this to feel like they have to wear makeup to be "pretty".

I don't think it is a bit of a stretch to think that marketing this stuff to little girls is going to damage their self esteem. After all, cosmetic companies have been damaging the self esteem of grown adult women for years and years. Look at how much money they make. They prey on women's insecurities about how they look. That's the basis of the entire business model. I hate to see it starting so young.

8 year old girls should not be feeling the need to mess with their perfect skin. They are going to have many many years of feeling inadequate about it (and the majority does and will. There are some women who don't give a hoot. But most do, and they're stuck in that trap for life.) I would like to leave our little girls out of it.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88txaggie View Post
There is a vast difference between legislating morality (ie passing laws forbidding a thing) and recognizing that as a society we are valuing the wrong things.
However, all of that is objective. What you view as unacceptable, I may view as acceptable. The debate is all fine and dandy and is a healthy dialogue. The problem enters when one side begins to insinuate that "such a thing" should not be sold or marketed. That is crossing the line into legislating morality.

The thing I find interesting here is that people's values may occasionally be in conflict with societies values, that is a given. However, the assumption that the mere existence of something that offends those values undermines those values is what I see as the key. If your values and opinion are so weak as to be influenced by something as innocuous as what society says is OK, are they really values? If it is the simple fact of not wanting to deal with kids asking for something that goes against your personal beliefs and fearing as some on here have implied that their standing is weakened, why do they still consider it a value? To me, a value would stand that test easily.

I think people make mountains out of molehills based on passing thoughts that they consider "values", but are really just opinions.

For example, people extropilate the opinion that young girls shouldn't wear makeup and apply it to the macro value of self image/worth. The value is wanting to instill a positive self image/worth in your child. It is nothing more than an opinion that letting them wear makeup undermines that value. You can have an 8 year old done up like Tammy Faye Baker with a fantastic self image/worth. You can also have an 8 year old with no makeup on that has a poor self image/worth.

Basically, don't get all worked up over nothing and do what's right for you and yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting