Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 11:28 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,760,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
We were far from rich but we always had a sports car. Even when the kids were little. (They weren't upper end Porsches.) One car to haul the family in and one car because, well just because that's our family. Gear heads. Same when I was a kid. My dad always had a pretty cool sports car and my mom drove the station wagon. Your budget gets adjusted in other places when you are totally car-oriented as my family is.

(DH could also name every sporty car (V-8, turbo) that had a backseat that would handle car seats.)

We did, just for fun, go to the Porsche dealership to take a look at the new Panamera. Four doors and four seats! Anybody have an unlimited budget?
If I had an unlimited budget it would be a Bentley sports coupe for my days of shopping on my own and a Mercedes R Class for toting the kids around. The Porsche Cayenne would be Mr. X and a Bugatti Veyron although he would be out of gas by the time he got down the road.

Reality states we can only have one suv Mr.X uses for work and a bike that Toddler X and I hop on for trips to town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 11:31 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,964,484 times
I don't get all the fuss about minivans - we LOVE ours! When we went to get a second car, we went with a small SUV for me to run around town with the kids in, but when we have extra kids, a car trip lasting longer than 20 minutes, lots of groceries, vet visits, etc - the minivan is a HUGE blessing! Also, dh chooses the minivan vs the SUV when given the choice - I keep my SUV in mint condition (6 months later, it still has the 'new car smell') but the minivan is a mess - every 6 months, I make him drive it to a self-car wash and all four of us work on it. A week later, you generally can't tell.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:57 AM

53 posts, read 57,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
What does that mean? I sort of understand it but I don’t….
It means that the adults' world didn't come to an end when a child was born.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:06 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,989,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakija9311 View Post
Maybe you missed the point that it was a joke? The adult world doesn't come to an end, but some adjustments are made, no?

Old 01-21-2011, 12:06 PM

13,658 posts, read 10,059,388 times
Quote:
I'm assuming this hasn't changed though, since you had a little one:

11 Step Program for Those Thinking of Having Kids | downstream parenting (http://downstream-parenting.com/11-step-program-for-those-thinking-of-having-kids.html - broken link)
Quote:
Remember, a sense of humor is one of the most important things you’ll need when you become a parent!?

(http://downstream-parenting.com/11-step-program-for-those-thinking-of-having-kids.html - broken link)

Old 01-23-2011, 04:02 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,221,956 times
Quote:
I am confused. I have parents tell me “EVERYTHING changes, it’s no longer about you, AT ALL when you have kids” all the time.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:46 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,309,179 times
Everything doesn't have to come to an end. As a mom, every decision I made had to involve DD, but I still take time out for myself to have some fun and me time. This is a point of contention with some parents, they don't believe they should do that until the children are away at college. Hey, whatever works for them.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:14 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,909,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
I am confused. I have parents tell me “EVERYTHING changes, it’s no longer about you, AT ALL when you have kids” all the time.
Well, you definitely have less time to yourself to pursue your own interests. It doesn't mean that it is impossible, but you've just made it a lot harder on yourself. This is another reason I stopped with one child. I love my daughter, but I sometimes miss hours spent gaming uninterrupted.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:50 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,836,866 times
That was hilarious! And pretty true. LOL

Before we had kids some friends told us to buy a puppy first as preparation. I thought the idea sounded stupid. But I'll be damned if waking up at all hours to take that thing to pee, cleaning up all kinds of unexpected messes, losing a few of my prized possessions to the puppy's antics, having to think ahead before going away for the weekend or out for a night, and having to learn to toughen up in order to properly train that damn dog didn't mirror a lot of the skills I would end up using as a parent. Heh.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:04 PM

88,918 posts, read 85,450,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Ah, it's all in fun, with a little bit of truth. We dealt with the realities of #6 when DH couldn't fit a car seat into his Porsche. Bye bye Porsche, hello mini-van. You adapt, and in the end it's worth it. You can always drive a Porsche again at 50, no?

LOL, I know of a couple who got divorced and the man did the "Oh, I'm young and single again" self-denial schtick and went out and bought himself a new car, a two-seater (forget what exactly). Problem is, he had two kids and when it came time for his visitation, he couldn't take them both out at the same time, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting