Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 09:14 AM

13,453 posts, read 9,978,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
For what it's worth, I had a gap when I was a child that was fixed instantly with a small surgical procedure. As I recall, that ligament on the gums that runs above my front teeth was the cause of the gap. It was too taut or something like that. He gave me a couple of novacain shots, then snipped the ligament and sent me home with some tiny rubber bands to put over the two front teeth and pull them together. That was it. Gap gone in two days or so. Ask your dentist if that would work on your child.
Cool, thanks. That's really good info to know should she decide she's uncomfortable with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 09:15 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,141,054 times
The British are notorious for thier bad teeth. Don't know if they don't have orthodontia like we do or if it's just a part of their culture. Princess Diana used to refer to Camilla as the "horse with the terrible teeth".

I don't think it's about "perfection" per se. Just some people are more bothered by things than others. Who am I to say nobody should get something corrected if it is bothering them.

Having said that, when I look at the horrendous plastic surgery botch jobs on some celebrities, it makes me cringe. Surely nobody thinks of getting teeth fixed as cosmetic surgery? Yes it can be cosmetic but it also can reduce many teeth problems in mature adults, like inability to bite properly or difficulty in cleaning when teeth are overlapping.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:17 AM

852 posts, read 1,366,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
That's interesting. So you wouldn't leave it to your child to decide? Is there a hair color or other physical attribute that you don't find attractive that you'd have fixed as well?

Not trying to be snarky, just interested in how far people would take this kind of thing.
My daughter has a friend (11) whose mother forces her to get highlights because mom doesn't like that her daughter's hair is changing from blond to brunette. This has been going on for three years.

3,805 posts, read 6,361,529 times
Quote:
Cool, thanks. That's really good info to know should she decide she's uncomfortable with it.
Just know that it may not be the answer for all gaps. It was in my case, but maybe not for all. Your dentist should be able to tell you on your next regular visit.

28,163 posts, read 25,335,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
My daughter has a friend (11) whose mother forces her to get highlights because mom doesn't like that her daughter's hair is changing from blond to brunette. This has been going on for three years.
That is so wrong.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
That's interesting. So you wouldn't leave it to your child to decide? Is there a hair color or other physical attribute that you don't find attractive that you'd have fixed as well?.
OMG how many people, male and female color to get rid of grey hair?
It's a decision most women have to make at some point in their lives.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:26 AM

13,453 posts, read 9,978,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
That may not have been the best example, but my point was that if it's just an imperfection and not otherwise bothersome, is it the right thing to "fix" it because you personally don't find it attractive. Women that color their own hair when they're adults are adults and are not parents fixing an imperfection in their child.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:32 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,386,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I think Finster was referring to parents who force their children to color their hair or make other cosmetic changes. Adult women should be free to do as they wish.

I have dark brown hair and would never consider letting it go gray. But, most of the women here in rural Vermont don't dye their hair and plenty of women walk around with long salt and pepper hair or waist-length gray braids. Not my style, but I'm glad they feel comfortable enough in their own skin to accept the physical changes that come with aging.

Same with makeup. I don't think I've ever left my home without it, even when my water broke at 1 a.m. in the morning and I had to rush to the hospital. But, again most women here don't wear it and shouldn't feel obligated to.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:45 AM

No it is wrong to color a child's hair. IMO
I'm of the generation where Tonette home perms were de rigeur for most little girls with straight hair. I think that was wrong.

But something like "bad" teeth is something which needs to be addressed at a young age. Yes it would be best to let each person decide for themselves as adults but by then the damage might be too great. I mean physical damage to the jaw or pyscological damage to the kids self esteem. As parents we have a responsibility to make the best decisions for our kids health as we can and I see braces as a health issue, not so much as an appearance issue. But that certainly comes into play.

Now a simple gap might not be that important. There are gaps and there are gaps. One with a buck tooth problem definitely would be one I as a parent would handle at an early stage.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:50 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,755,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post

OMG that is just awful!!! Way to go mom on helping your daughter realize that she's beautiful!

"here sweety the only thing that is going to make you pretty is in this little bottle, because natural you, ick" great message!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting