Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 05:09 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,234,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I was thinking about dying the underneath of my hair blonde, so its that half and half. Blackish brown on top and blonde on the bottom.
My niece did just the opposite. She was a natural blonde, but bleached the top hair and dyed the underneath hair black. That was a few years ago, but it looked really good on her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 05:10 PM

852 posts, read 1,366,278 times
I'd encourage her to use a temporary dye at first to see if she really likes it. I have to say, while I'm big on self expression for kids (within appropriate boundaries), I hate the idea of girls messing with their natural young beauty. But experimenting with looks is part of the teen experience, I suppose. My oldest is 11. I guess I'd better brace myself for what's coming!

I overused Sun-In when I was 15. It wasn't pretty.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:21 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,961,888 times
I'd have not issue with a daughter experimenting with hair color. The only thing I would caution on - black hair dye is a whole different animal. You can't just dye over it. It has to be lifted out.

I've been dying my hair jet black for about 6 years now. I love it. But it is high maintenance for sure.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:29 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,867,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
When I was two my father put a bowl over my head and snipped off everything that showed. I'm pretty sure it's the closest my parents ever came to divorce.

(This ties into the "leaving a child behind while you take a trip" thread.)
What in god's name was he thinking?

Old 12-08-2010, 05:34 PM

130 posts, read 579,528 times
Introducing! The New Jan Brady:

Probably just a phase.
Attached Thumbnails
14yo change of hair colour-new-jan-brady.jpg  

Old 12-08-2010, 05:39 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,141,054 times
well---I say don't let her do it. I think 14 is too young to start putting chemicals on her hair. Especially if she is going for the "Goth" look. I would encourage you to talk to her about why she wants it black. If she just wants a change, suggest she wait till her hair grows out and try a different hairdo or encourage her to try something temporary. I really don't like the look of dyed flat black hair on anybody. It is so fake looking.

Now my daughters are all asian and I love their natural brown/black hair. one is 27 and she has promised me she would never get a permanent or dye her hair. the others are 8 and they know how I feel about it.

I remember dying my hair when I was 16 with my best friend and my 80 year old grandfather in the bathroom. He was having a blast! My father was out of the country and I knew I could get away with it while he was gone but my mother made me promise to go back to natural before he came home.

I went to beauty parlor to have it done "right" the day before he came home and the result was a nightmare. They burned my scalp, turned my hair green and when I woke up the next day there was blood on my pillow and scabs all over my head.

Yes that was 48 years ago (dinasours roamed the earth) but it is a very vivid memory.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:41 PM

37,152 posts, read 42,260,441 times
Google "PPD Allergy" and then decide. The earlier you start exposure the more likely you will eventually have a bad reaction. Darker colors are the wrost. Now that I'm 100% gray I need to color my hair I have a hard time with it, even ending up on antibiotics once, and with I hadn't messed with my hair when I was younger "just for fun". That said, my own daughter has been dying her hair since she was 15, she doesn't worry about anything dispite what happened to me. Make sure she only uses then temporary type that washes out in 8-10 shampoos and always, ALWAYS, do the allergy test 24 hours beforehand.

The goth look is very YESTERDAY and doesn't look good on anyone btw. Maybe she could dye it pink instead since she already looks like a boy? Or maybe this is all her way of breaking some news to you?

Old 12-08-2010, 05:45 PM

130 posts, read 579,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I went to beauty parlor to have it done "right" the day before he came home and the result was a nightmare. They burned my scalp, turned my hair green and when I woke up the next day there was blood on my pillow and scabs all over my head.
What a nightmare!

Old 12-08-2010, 05:45 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,483,364 times
I started going grey very young and have probably been dying my hair for at least 25 solid years with no adverse affects.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:48 PM

37,152 posts, read 42,260,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I started going grey very young and have probably been dying my hair for at least 25 solid years with no adverse affects.
"Yet". I was over 50 when my head blew up like a balloon one day after my routine touch up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting