Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 10:11 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,379,847 times

Advertisements

I heard my daughters talking about kids at school & friends that "Cut". They are in Middle schoo/Jr. High. There is also a group called "To Write Love on Her Arms" that is about cutting

Has anyone had experience or know about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 10:20 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,439,438 times
I don't have any experience with it, but I know that cutting is considered a symptom of psychological problems.

Few do it to simply be part of a weird group. Most cutters are often compulsively drawn to cutting themselves.

To learn more, you can research it via google searching "self harm" or "cutting."

Old 12-07-2010, 10:23 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,379,847 times
I've also heard that other kids will call these kids "Emo". I thought Emo was a style of dressing - I guess not!
As a parent of young teen girls this concerns me. I thought I knew about the risks - sex, drugs, drinking, ect. I didn't realise that cutting was common! I guess I need to educate myself a bit more!

Old 12-07-2010, 10:25 AM

I just googled "To Write Love on Her Arms." It's not a group about cutting.

It's a nonprofit to help people with many types of mental illness.

Here's the website: To Write Love on Her Arms > Vision

Here's the first paragraph of the mission statement:

Quote:
To Write Love on Her Arms is a non-profit movement dedicated to presenting hope and finding help for people struggling with depression, addiction, self-injury and suicide. TWLOHA exists to encourage, inform, inspire and also to invest directly into treatment and recovery.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:27 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,069,438 times
I was watching lockdown on MSNBC and they had a cutter in there who used it to take his mind of of the crazy things in his head.

This is a serious problem and a cry for help.

BTW, did you hear about the new EMO lawn? It cuts itself.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:33 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,250,373 times
Here's another article on cutting.

Cutting

Old 12-07-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
I've also heard that other kids will call these kids "Emo". I thought Emo was a style of dressing - I guess not!
Emo are Goth. Not all Goth's cut, and not all cutters are Goth.

But studies have proven that identifying oneself as Goth is the best predictor of self harm and suicide among teens. (Wikipedia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
As a parent of young teen girls this concerns me. I thought I knew about the risks - sex, drugs, drinking, ect. I didn't realise that cutting was common! I guess I need to educate myself a bit more!
Definitely. There's nothing wrong with that. Look up the causes and signs of cutting.

Covering their bodies---wearing long sleeves in the summer, never wearing shorts, etc., is a sign. They hide their cuts.

Here's Mayo Clinic's page of symptoms: Self-injury/cutting: Symptoms - MayoClinic.com

From my quick searches, it seems the causes range a multitude of mental illnesses.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:36 AM

12,979 posts, read 14,619,191 times
TWLOHA is a great organization.

Cutting comes up in the news every now and then when a celebrity divulges it. I wonder if the OP's daughter is talking about it because the latest to admit to it is Demi Lovato. Many celebrities have discussed this openly. If I remember correctly Johnny Depp, Drew Barrymore, Princess Di, Angelina. There was another celebrity in the news the last day or too, a youngster that took me by surprise, I can't remember who it was though.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:38 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,878,198 times
My daughter experimented with cutting a few times in high school. It was very scary for me! And for her too I think. She suffers from depression and has been on antidepressants since she was 11.

She has not cut in over a year that I know of. Oh and she is far from emo--she has a ton of friends, a great boyfriend, lots of activities and is doing great in college. She seems to be growing out of the teenage self-centredness that drives some of the self destructive behaviours.

Cutting won't kill, only scar. You can't punish and you can't really stop it. It is a symptom. You just need to make sure the child has the chance to talk to someone and to get treatment if depression is diagnosed.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:54 AM

12,979 posts, read 14,619,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
My daughter experimented with cutting a few times in high school. It was very scary for me! And for her too I think. She suffers from depression and has been on antidepressants since she was 11.

She has not cut in over a year that I know of. Oh and she is far from emo--she has a ton of friends, a great boyfriend, lots of activities and is doing great in college. She seems to be growing out of the teenage self-centredness that drives some of the self destructive behaviours.

Cutting won't kill, only scar. You can't punish and you can't really stop it. It is a symptom. You just need to make sure the child has the chance to talk to someone and to get treatment if depression is diagnosed.
I'm glad to hear that your daughter is doing better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting