Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 12:02 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,752,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Spot on! My daughter Kalinda has a "different" "weird" name since she isn't a Caitlin, Kaylee, Ashley or whatever. My unborn daughter's name will be Anjali. Both names are Sanskrit in origin and have special meanings to me. I think different names give variety, and variety is the spice of life.
Nothing wrong with the name Caitlin. Actually hardly anyone spells it that way either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 12:30 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,867,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I feel that way with the name Riley....
Yeah, my cousin has a dog named Riley, a male. I work in a pediatric office where there are loads of little girls named Riley and I'm always expecting a boy when I see that name.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:11 AM

904 posts, read 2,875,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
Someone I know named their child YoungBlood.......Not even joking...

Were stuck on the name landon...for now until my pregnancy hormones tell me I dont like it anymore.
I don't think Landon is so strange. I know a kid named Landon and he is a wonderful, bright, funny kid.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:33 AM

22,615 posts, read 47,734,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
Nothing wrong with the name Caitlin. Actually hardly anyone spells it that way either.
In MY area, that is the preferred spelling....

Old 12-05-2010, 11:51 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,501,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
Where in my post did I say that something was 'wrong' with it? Likewise, there is nothing 'wrong' with the name Kalinda simply because it isn't a Top 40 name like the aforementioned. My name isn't top 40 either. As for spellings of Caitlin, that's how it is traditionally spelled...

Old 12-05-2010, 11:58 AM

My opinion about the bias shown to people who have African and foreign sounding names is that if people are prejudiced, then that's what they are. Naming your child Gertrude Chen isn't going to change that. In my case, my first name is Spanish in origin and when I married, so is my last name. If people do not want to hire "Spanish" people, the surname Garza sure gives it away! Besides, you can't associate names with race anymore. There are a lot of white Keishas and black Johannas. The name Kali isn't Anglo.

I'm not against top 40 names, neither am I for naming kids names that have no real meanings at all -- i.e. D'Brickashaw, Pilot Inspektor, Bronx (what the heck?? I guess if you name someone brooklyn you mind as well do all the boroughs). However, I'm all for parents naming their kids a variety of names, whether they be an ode to their ethnicity, a Top 40 name or a foreign name that sounds "weird". Personally, I like Cecilio over Cecil (my father in law Anglicized his name) and I like Carlos Antoniho over Charles Anthony (my father's portuguese name). But that's here and there.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:20 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,021,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
My opinion about the bias shown to people who have African and foreign sounding names is that if people are prejudiced, then that's what they are. Naming your child Gertrude Chen isn't going to change that. In my case, my first name is Spanish in origin and when I married, so is my last name. If people do not want to hire "Spanish" people, the surname Garza sure gives it away! Besides, you can't associate names with race anymore. There are a lot of white Keishas and black Johannas. The name Kali isn't Anglo.

I'm not against top 40 names, neither am I for naming kids names that have no real meanings at all -- i.e. D'Brickashaw, Pilot Inspektor, Bronx (what the heck?? I guess if you name someone brooklyn you mind as well do all the boroughs). However, I'm all for parents naming their kids a variety of names, whether they be an ode to their ethnicity, a Top 40 name or a foreign name that sounds "weird". Personally, I like Cecilio over Cecil (my father in law Anglicized his name) and I like Carlos Antoniho over Charles Anthony (my father's portuguese name). But that's here and there.
There's a big difference between an immigrant's name that comes from a foreign language and is common in that language, even if unfamiliar to English speakers and one that is obviously made up on the spot, including random English words and letters. The two are not comparable.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:44 PM

2,719 posts, read 5,362,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post

But anyways I was watching Supernanny and the boy's name was Crew.

[snip]
I mean how weird.

Thoughts?
At least they didn't spell it: Krue, Kroo, or Crooh.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:47 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,156,127 times
One of my favorite websites concerning this very subject...

Baby's Named a Bad, Bad Thing

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-05-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
There's a big difference between an immigrant's name that comes from a foreign language and is common in that language, even if unfamiliar to English speakers and one that is obviously made up on the spot, including random English words and letters. The two are not comparable.
My post was not a comparison at all. Of course, there's a difference between a butchered English name and a foreign name (though not all people who possess foreign sounding names are first generation immigrants).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting