Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 01:57 PM

313 posts, read 450,842 times

Advertisements

I was speaking with a co-worker this morning about a contractor she's had working in her house. She said that he has 10 children (not a Mormon or Catholic, she said) and they've all been home-schooled. The sons learn the trade under their father's wing. When the father had heart bypass a couple of years ago and had to take a long recovery, his 16-year-old son took over the business and managed it just fine. And he still works alongside his father sometimes.

The boy has learned some valuable tools.

Now THIS is something that's almost dead 'n' gone in American families.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:15 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,640,756 times
I have a couple of friends with small kids who are mostly in their mid to late 20s, some are married, some are in relationships and 2 are single moms. I just can' believe how much 'partying' they do! I mean, I'm single...live on my own and completely support myself and not even I have enough time or energy to go out 3 or 4 times a week to the bars and clubs, much less doing it with a kid or two at home.

I got in a little kerfuffle with a friend of mine recently because she got angry that I wouldn't go out with her on a weekday night to a local bar.. I had to work early the next morning and politely declined. She told me that I was 'ignoring' her and I told her that she could easily get that attention back if she paid attention to her 9 month old baby. She apparently didn't like that.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:17 AM

852 posts, read 1,365,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I have a couple of friends with small kids who are mostly in their mid to late 20s, some are married, some are in relationships and 2 are single moms. I just can' believe how much 'partying' they do! I mean, I'm single...live on my own and completely support myself and not even I have enough time or energy to go out 3 or 4 times a week to the bars and clubs, much less doing it with a kid or two at home.

I got in a little kerfuffle with a friend of mine recently because she got angry that I wouldn't go out with her on a weekday night to a local bar.. I had to work early the next morning and politely declined. She told me that I was 'ignoring' her and I told her that she could easily get that attention back if she paid attention to her 9 month old baby. She apparently didn't like that.
We have friends like that too! The father works and attends meetings 13 or 14 hours a day all week long, and when the weekend rolls around, the two kids are left with grandma so that the parents can fulfill "social obligations." He's planning to run for some local political office in the next couple of years, so I understand that some hobnobbing is necessary, but these people party all weekend every weekend. And yes, their children are hard to be around.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:28 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,907,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Idiocy is not limited to parents or parenting. There are plenty of non-parents who are morons as well.
LMAO ...I think I get what you are getting at

Old 11-16-2010, 12:31 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,907,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
ROFLMAO! You guys gotta tell me sooner... Then again...Alien to Human, Human to Human. What I really meant was instead of choosing the right mate for your kid, anyone is having kids just to have and we're just crossing between eachother...I called it cross breeding..
wha...?

Yeah, I think nana053 is spot on...spot on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting