Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 09:04 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,755,924 times

Advertisements

Have to say the hold down method is just what it comes down to sometimes. They HAVE to take the medicine for no other reason than they need it, I paid for it and I'll be damned if I'm paying the deductible for a hospital stay for something that can be treated at home with a cup of medicine two or three times a day.

My oldest was the only one we ever had a real issue with when it came to medicine. He simply refused to take anything for a long time. The middle one would drink the whole bottle if we would let her, lol. We always tried to be nice about it at first, but we would only give him a couple "nice" chances before we just made him take it. You really need two people to do it right and the key is to use the syringe and squirt it into the back of the cheek or straight down the throat, they have no choice but to swallow.

The only time I felt bad administering medicine was when DS was about 18 months old. He has some "extra" skin even after he was circumcised. Despite daily washings, he managed to develop a yeast infection similar to what an un-circumcised person would get. Well, the treatment is to apply Lotrimin AF directly to the area twice a day. I thought no big deal it doesn't hurt. Well apparently, Wiener + Lotrimin = BURNS LIKE A MOTHER. As soon as we put it on he howled and we had to hold him to keep him from ripping his diaper off. It thankfully cleared up in a week, but I felt so bad for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 10:20 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,073,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post

<snip>

The only time I felt bad administering medicine was when DS was about 18 months old. He has some "extra" skin even after he was circumcised. Despite daily washings, he managed to develop a yeast infection similar to what an un-circumcised person would get. Well, the treatment is to apply Lotrimin AF directly to the area twice a day. I thought no big deal it doesn't hurt. Well apparently, Wiener + Lotrimin = BURNS LIKE A MOTHER. As soon as we put it on he howled and we had to hold him to keep him from ripping his diaper off. It thankfully cleared up in a week, but I felt so bad for him.

Thank GOD this isn't something I ever had to deal with.. So far anyway.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:40 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,716,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
/butting in

Consistency and follow through are the only keys. My younger one is as stubborn as the day is long. When he was 3 I asked him to pick his shirt up off the floor and throw it down the cellar stairs. This was all of about 12 steps. He said no so I told him to stand in the corner until he was ready. He stood there for 3 hours. 3 hours!!!!! With his hands folded staring at the wall. I knew then I was screwed.

Everything has to be consistent with the stubborn ones, because once you give in they know they have you and they will walk all over you.

I've said it a million times...the first baby is a trick, they are always the easy one and fool you into thinking it is not so hard. Good luck!!!
Totally agree with the consistency and follow through comment. Routine...always worked best with my first daughter and maybe that's why she was and is "easier."

Old 11-10-2010, 08:52 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,716,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okpondlady View Post
The first thing you have to do is get hubby on the same track as you are. Agree between you two on what you will and will not compromise on with her. There has to be consistency with you both. You can't become the meanie and Daddy let her off every time she wants to be bullheaded.

Is she a picky eater? I think I remember you saying she is on another thread. Cook one meal. Make sure there is at least one thing she likes.. the rest she joins in with the rest of the family with. Put a normal portion on her plate. Don't let her eat only her favorite one food. No seconds of anything until she at least takes a reasonable bite of each one. No dessert unless she eats it all. No snacks. Nothing between meals except water (if at all). Don't cave. I know it sounds easier than it is but believe me if you are consistent she will eat it.

Whatever behavior it is you want to correct, decide on the right response and don't give up until you get it freely.

The pacifier problem. I had a cousin that wouldn't give it up. My Aunt tried and tried everything to get rid of it..but she kept caving. We went for a visit for a week and she told my mom about it. My mom told her to throw it out. Don't buy another one, don't have one hidden for a rescue. It is gone! They might cry and scream (he did) for awhile..but they will get over it. I don't know anyone that has died from crying. Yes, distract them, play games, whatever it takes to make it some easier..but don't cave.

One behavior at a time, or if you want to tackle them all at once....go for it. Just be prepared, it won't be easy but it will make your life easier in the long run. Realize you are doing it for her own benefit.
I know you're right, too. DH has "his way" and I have "my way" which only adds to the problem.

...and, the crying, screaming and throwing things tantrums??? That's usually what makes DH and me "cave." Youngest DD doesn't have mini meltdowns; they're bloodcurdling screamy outbursts that are draining to all of us.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:02 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,073,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glastron_79 View Post
I know you're right, too. DH has "his way" and I have "my way" which only adds to the problem.

...and, the crying, screaming and throwing things tantrums??? That's usually what makes DH and me "cave." Youngest DD doesn't have mini meltdowns; they're bloodcurdling screamy outbursts that are draining to all of us.
That is the problem. She has figured out it works. My youngest daughter tried that too. I picked her up from the floor of the grocery store and we went to the car kicking and screaming all the way. She got a swift little spanking on the bottom. It was only maybe 3 swats but she felt it. Then I told her if she did it again I would leave her at daycare and come to the store alone. She was 3 or 4 at the time..I don't remember. She tried it one more time and got the same results. Then for about a month I left her at daycare while I went to the store. She seemed to figure it out.
I don't know what to say. You have to figure this out and get it under control. All kids will try stuff like this, you just have to figure out the right response that will stop it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting