Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 07:39 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,306,655 times

Advertisements

Thanks again for all your suggestions. I'm weighing some new options now.

My daughter told me her teacher upset her by telling her in front of the whole class that she won't be getting promoted- even if she passes the state exam, since she can't behave herself.

First, this is NOT what the teacher told me, and I seriously doubt if my child is so miserable she would elect to leave her back another year if she passes the exam. I believe she told her that as a threat. Shouldn't teachers be encouraging?

I know that the classroom atmosphere is not perfect and neither is she- but should I bring this up to her? I try to encurage my child, but she tells me it doesn't matter since that is what the teacher said. *deep sigh* I really can't wait to be away from this place.

It's not all 'them' but it definitely isn't helping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 12:58 AM

378 posts, read 578,403 times
Kids with ADHD learn in different ways. Eventually she will develop the will to sit down, but not right now. Now, she would be best off learning from the world. I have ADD and by living and working in Scandinavia, I learned the languages, history and culture and I plan on returning to the US to take an undergraduate degree in Scandinavian studies. The upshot is, because I already learned the majority of what they can teach at university on my own, they likely will grant me credits for all but 30 credit hours.

Your daughter isn't lost. Far from it. But she needs to learn on her own. Help her do that.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:07 AM

613 posts, read 993,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterific View Post
Thanks again for all your suggestions. I'm weighing some new options now.

My daughter told me her teacher upset her by telling her in front of the whole class that she won't be getting promoted- even if she passes the state exam, since she can't behave herself.

First, this is NOT what the teacher told me, and I seriously doubt if my child is so miserable she would elect to leave her back another year if she passes the exam. I believe she told her that as a threat. Shouldn't teachers be encouraging?

I know that the classroom atmosphere is not perfect and neither is she- but should I bring this up to her? I try to encurage my child, but she tells me it doesn't matter since that is what the teacher said. *deep sigh* I really can't wait to be away from this place.

It's not all 'them' but it definitely isn't helping.
I would seriously, seriously consider spending some time in your daughter's classroom, see how the teacher interacts with her and vice versa, the atmosphere in the classroom.

What really stands out to me is you said in an earlier post that your daughter's personality has changed, and not for the better. Yes, having difficulty with school work can be stressing enough for a child to become very unhappy. But you said she is refusing to do work, not that she can't do it. I would investigate whether the makeup of this classroom suits your daughter. Also, the teacher could have preconceived opinions regarding your daughter's ability due to her dx of ADD.

The teacher's comment in front of the class is completely inappropriate. I would honestly start shifting my focus to the teacher to see if anything she is doing is causing your child to not want to work in class. I have seen more than one teacher, when faced with a child who isn't doing well for whatever reason, shift blame to either the child or a child having a disability.

I am currently having a difficult time with a child in school who has had no previous problems. His teacher I feel has also made inappropriate comments that I have either heard personally or was told firsthand by her. Which of course makes me wonder what she will do or say when no one is within earshot. She even used the taking away of kid's snacks as a form of punishment, and this went on for quite some time before my son told me what was happening. Point being, there can be a lot more going on in this classroom than you know about. And if your daughter is not the problem, imagine how frustrating this may all be to her.

I'm not saying it's all the teacher's fault, just saying that sometimes as adults we automatically trust that adults know what they are doing and therefore it must be the child's issue.

So, I again implore you to investigate further, keep your eyes and ears open and try to get your daughter to open up with you about her classroom, teacher, and classmates.

Good luck.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:16 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,501,257 times
I'm sorry, I didn't read past page 2 However, if your child's grades are being affected due to her medical diagnosis, you are entitled to a IEP. Usually, an IEP might not come unless your child is falling below grade level (almost failing). In my school at least, it doesn't dumb down the work. It sets goals and strategies to achieve the goals. But, if she's not failing due to intelligence level, just due to lack of completion of work, and THAT is affecting her grades (which result in her diagnosis), then you can ask for a 504 plan. I know the 504 plan is good in district testing situations, where she'd be given more time.

Also, speak to the teacher. I have accomodated children that I know had a medical diagnosis (and not just lazy workers), with timers at their desks, working at the desk with me, and special incentives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting