Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 06:27 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Are the kids not normally in school for this? How do the kids get to school otherwise? We don't have Halloween Parades here so I am not sure how they work? Is this something that parents usually attend?
My older son walks with me and younger son has transportation from the county for his preschool, in the afternoons. Yes, this is a pretty big deal for the kiddos in our area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 08:25 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,749,627 times
Your preschooler will have so much fun with the big kids that he'll forget about missing his own event. And I know my first grader would be much more upset at missing parade now than she would have been a couple of years ago.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:40 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I have a first grader and a preschooler. Their Halloween parades are at the same time. But at different schools. Originally, I was thinking I'd go to older son's parade and younger son's party, seemed fair. But my husband takes the car to work so I would have to take the bus. Our bus system is pretty crappy and you can only catch a bus on a route like every two hours; AKA not an option.

Soooo....what do you do?

Do you just not take younger child to his parade/party but let him wear his costume to the older one's parade?

Not go to the older one's parade but to the younger one's event?

Let them both stay home?

Or something else?

Can't Dad take the bus that one day so you can have the car?

And why would you let them stay at home? They shouldn't miss out just because you might have to.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:55 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
My assumption here is that the 1st grader has already had two of these parades previously (pre-K and K) and that this would be the first event for the pre-schooler? If that is the case I would attend the pre-schoolers event and let the 1st grader know that you will not be able to attend, also let them know that if you are in the same position next year, you are going to alternate which you attend.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:58 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Pre-schooler gets to have a fun time at the grade school with big brother. He gets to see what the big kids do and, as an extra bonus, WOW!, this is where YOU get to go to school in a couple of years!!

Old 10-28-2010, 10:02 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,294 times
Please don't take this in an offensive way, but is there a chance you can learn to drive and get you driving license in the near future? I ask, because w/ two young children, it's only going to get worse w/ attending their activities. Eventually, one will feel left out and you're going to miss some precious memories and lost pictures for scrapbooks.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Can't Dad take the bus that one day so you can have the car?

And why would you let them stay at home? They shouldn't miss out just because you might have to.
Did you even read what you quoted? I DON'T HAVE A LICENSE!

Where did I say I was doing that? I was throwing out different options! : smack:

Old 10-28-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
My assumption here is that the 1st grader has already had two of these parades previously (pre-K and K) and that this would be the first event for the pre-schooler? If that is the case I would attend the pre-schoolers event and let the 1st grader know that you will not be able to attend, also let them know that if you are in the same position next year, you are going to alternate which you attend.
I disagree. My 6 year old will be really disappointed if I don't go to his parade. The preschooler won't care. I just didn't want him missing out on the fun at school.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
Please don't take this in an offensive way, but is there a chance you can learn to drive and get you driving license in the near future? I ask, because w/ two young children, it's only going to get worse w/ attending their activities. Eventually, one will feel left out and you're going to miss some precious memories and lost pictures for scrapbooks.
No, I don't think I will be able to. I had my permit and I have been trying for close to two years to get a handle on driving and I freeze up every time I try. I get so nervous that I have panic attacks.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:54 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I disagree. My 6 year old will be really disappointed if I don't go to his parade. The preschooler won't care. I just didn't want him missing out on the fun at school.
Do you know any of the mothers in your preschooler's class that would be willing to take pictures of his party for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting