Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 10:53 AM

Location: Phoenix...until next week, then Maryland...tick tock tick tock
169 posts, read 607,965 times

Advertisements

How does this (broken link) happen???

I am trying not to be judgmental (ok, yes I am), but how does someone forget their child in the car...especially when it's 110 outside?!? I feel bad if I put my son in the car before I've started it & turned on the A/C, & that's only about a minute or so to strap him into the car seat. This idiot left the 3-month-old in the car for 2 HOURS!!!! How in the hell do you not notice your 3-month-old BABY is missing for 2 hours?!? I get suspicious if my son is too quiet for a couple of minutes (cuz you know if it's too quiet, something nefarious is afoot!)

I think if this were my husband, I'd file child abuse charges & divorce his sorry a*s...actually, I think I might just "forget" that he's staked to an anthill in the middle of the desert...

This crap bugged me before I ever had kids. It happens at least 2 or 3 times a summer in Phx (I'm sure if you count idiots leaving their pets in the car, the number would be much higher...). I still could not fathom how a parent could forget their kid in the car oven...& it irritates me even more now that I have a kid.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 11:02 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,659,259 times
It happens here alot as well and always shocks and angers me. How in this world does this happen? We had a guy here that left his child in the car. He had a motion sensor in his car that actually WENT OFF a few times in the parking lot but he "reset" it every time. His child was in the car. You know the rest. I can hardly watch the news for the stories like this one and worse. Poor little guys. D#$nit this breaks my heart

Old 06-29-2007, 11:06 AM

550 posts, read 2,826,280 times
That is just SICK. I wonder how many of them are on drugs so they really do forget. Sick, sick, sick.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoe View Post
That is just SICK. I wonder how many of them are on drugs so they really do forget. Sick, sick, sick.
Yeah, that's what one of my coworkers suggested, too. I just feel so bad for the little baby, despite the fact that the father is a crack head (or whatever).

I feel a little bad for bringing negative vibes with this thread, but this is one of those things that just really pushes my buttons. I just can't wrap my brain around this. Maybe I've not done the right drugs/been that drunk, but I have never been so blotto that I'd forget my kid.

On the contrary, there are many days when I'm coming to work after I've dropped off my son at day care that I forget he's not with me. I'll look back at his car seat & be shocked for a second that he's not there. I guess some people just don't have that deep of an affection for their children...I know my mother didn't, but it's still tough to fathom for me...& I never liked kids!! Maybe that's not the right way to put it, but I just can't figure out how that can happen.

This whole thing just makes me very sad...

Old 06-29-2007, 01:05 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,908,956 times
I hate to be gross..but I wonder if their is more to the story than we know..meaning...maybe he was mental and didnt want the kid..and figured that if he "left" him in the car, he could say "heat exhaustion".

I have a very soft spot for children...and agreed to the poster with the A/C running.. I have a starter for the Northeast winters and humid summers...I wouldnt go in a cold or hot care myself..why should my kids!!!!!

And how could you NOT know.. I can understand..forgetting bottle of water, shoes, sneakers..but how do you forget a kid...in a car seat for goodness sake?

Old 06-29-2007, 01:06 PM

P.S. Can you imagine the damage that has now been done to the childs brain....I hope and pray for this infant...that he lives and has a normal life.

Hopefully there will be a followup story.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:10 PM

Never mind..this bothered me so much being that its been close to 100 here in NY..that I had to find the followup....Of course its not good.

Three-month-old girl left in SUV dies | EastValleyTribune.com (http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/92404 - broken link)

Old 06-29-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
Never mind..this bothered me so much being that its been close to 100 here in NY..that I had to find the followup....Of course its not good.

Three-month-old girl left in SUV dies | EastValleyTribune.com (http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/92404 - broken link)
Yeah, I just saw that, too. I was actually going to post the update, but you beat me to it.

I was listening to news of it on the radio while I fetched my lunch & they gave advice on how to not forget your child in the car seat. They said you should put something important in the back seat that you have to have when you go in so you'll remember to check the car seat. They suggested your wallet or cell phone. WTF??! So now my wallet or cell phone is more important than my child??? I have forgotten both my wallet and my cell phone in my car on numerous occasions, but have yet to forget my child.

What is this world coming to that people will remember their cell phone over their child? *sigh*

I just feel so very bad for this little girl's mother. I also heard that this is the 10th child-left-in-the-car heat related death this year.

Old 06-29-2007, 03:22 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,556,201 times
These stories are so very sad. On a brighter note, a toddler was left in a hot car a month ago, and had the smarts to honk the horn and get people's attention. Now, that is one smart little boy!

I don't get it, either. I don't understand how anyone could simply forget! And it is a sad, messed up world, when a person has to leave their wallet or cell phone (inanimate objects!) near their living, breathing kid as a reminder!!!

There was another story a few years ago in which a woman left her kids alone for two weeks (!) locked in their apartment while she went to go meet some guy she had met online. Neighbors heard the girls crying, and the woman was arrested. The girls were young, too, like 7 and 4 maybe? I was so outraged!!! I'm not calling her a "mother", just a "woman". A real mother would NEVER do something like that! I wouldn't leave my young children alone for two hours!!!

Old 06-29-2007, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
A real mother would NEVER do something like that! I wouldn't leave my young children alone for two hours!!!
Good Lord.

I concur. I've also heard of a lot of people who'll leave their kids alone while they're sleeping to go do stuff (i.e. kids are in bed, so let's go clubbing). I can't even bring myself to do a quick food run while my son is asleep. Yeah, he'd probably be fine, but sh*t happens & I want to be there for him if it does.

Sometimes I question my ability as a mother...I don't always feel I'm doing the best job I can. I try, but sometimes I just don't feel it's good enough...& then I hear about crap like this...I just don't understand people sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting