Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 10:02 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,919,037 times

Advertisements

It was neither yes nor no. Sorry you didn't grasp that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 10:02 AM

11,642 posts, read 24,006,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Jealous again. Our store brand is full of crap.
The store brand at the supermarket is full of crap. But there is a local Italian market that sells both Boars Head and their own stuff made in the store which is just meat and spices. Surprisingly their store made stuff is usually cheaper than the Boars Head. It's the same place that has the $1.89 chicken breast.

The supermarket sells Boars Head and usually has something on sale.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:10 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,867,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
The store brand at the supermarket is full of crap.
Most store brands are manufactured by the same companies as brand names.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:12 AM

4,264 posts, read 6,206,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Most name brands are crap too. There are very few options that don't contain sodium nitrates and msg.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Well-when you look at the list of ingredients the store brand has lots of chemicals that are not in the Boars Head. Some of the Boars Head meats have chemicals in them, some do not. You have to look at the labels.

The local Italian Market makes their stuff out in the open. They even gave me their seasoning recipe for the roast beef. Sometimes they even make roast pork for slicing at the deli counter. My kids like that but they don't always have it.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:33 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,867,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Well-when you look at the list of ingredients the store brand has lots of chemicals that are not in the Boars Head. Some of the Boars Head meats have chemicals in them, some do not. You have to look at the labels.

The local Italian Market makes their stuff out in the open. They even gave me their seasoning recipe for the roast beef. Sometimes they even make roast pork for slicing at the deli counter. My kids like that but they don't always have it.
I didn't realize you where talking about meat. I was referring more things such as chips and pasta and all that. It's really all the same.

I usually buy the packaged lunch meats. It lasts longer and I like the taste.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:43 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,100,329 times
I had to put a Key Lock on my pantry closet. My son and his friends will tear thru the pantry and eat till its empty. He gets 1 soda a day, and some amount of sugar snacks, I keep them locked up so he and his friends don't clean me out. It not just the snacks, they will go thru soup, Mashed potato mix, beans etc. Since I don't go thru the trash, I don't know all of what they have eaten. I go to make dinner, knowing what have 'in stock' Open the pantry to find it gone. I don't have a problem with him and his friends eating, but sometimes they just eat because they are board, or little hungry 45 min before dinner. I don't want them eating up a storm, then I make dinner and they are not hungry, they just had a huge 'snack'.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
I didn't realize you where talking about meat. I was referring more things such as chips and pasta and all that. It's really all the same.

I usually buy the packaged lunch meats. It lasts longer and I like the taste.
Many times the store brands are great. But lunch meats are not, at least not where I live. BUT-the Italian market's in store lunch meats are great. I wouldn't mind the prepackaged lunch meats if they had ones that don't have chemicals in them but the ones I see around here all have lots of chemicals in them. We try to avoid eating lots of chemicals.

One of the local supermarkets here has their own organic store brands (Publix Greenwise brand). Very good quality food at much less than the brand name organic brands.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It was neither yes nor no. Sorry you didn't grasp that.
How hard it is to give a straight answer to a question?

Old 09-09-2010, 02:23 PM

13,982 posts, read 26,080,013 times
I'm with you Momma_Bear. The one time I tried to make a pound of turkey last longer than a day, my sons complained they couldn't find the meat on their sandwiches, lol.

What I don't understand, is why such an innocent question should create such vitriol. C'mon people, either you have lunch ideas, or you don't. Nobody is asking for advice on how much they should feed their kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting