Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2010, 03:06 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,204,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
so how in the world could a 6 year old choose what to study and be expected to come out of it at the end having studied what they need to make a career out of it? If college students don't know what they want, why would a middle schooler?
You are assuming that an unschooled child only studies one thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
no, it's not. Compared to unschooling, though, I'm beginning to have a much higher opinion of homeschooling. Some of you defenders of home- and un-schooling get defensive if they are lumped together, but other times refer to them as basically the same thing.
Well, contrary to common belief, we don't all march in lockstep. We don't even all look alike.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:08 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,220,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Indeed, it would be ideal if public schools were different than they are. I don't choose to hold my breath waiting for it.

Not sure I understand the funding/safety references, unless you're suggesting that it's more expensive and dangerous to educate many public school kids (I mightn't argue with you on that).

No one's suggesting that zoo or museum classes are the only thing homeschoolers do. Simply that they're more available to us than to those whose day is monopolized in large part by a fairly rigid schedule.

Like I said a bit upstream, for the most part, public school parents can do everything homeschoolers can. They just have less time in which to do it. And IMO, if I'm already creating the best educational experience for my child on my own time, why make her sit through seventh grade math in an overcrowded classroom with kids who aren't interested and don't want to be there? Why take up that teacher's time, that school's resources, when they can be better spent on children whose parents cannot teach them?
what I meant was, if a school district wanted to offer options like sending your kid to a museum class but getting school credit for it (just an example); the district would have to pay some one to deal with approval of the classes, and all that admin stuff. As far as safety, I meant the risks and liabilities of sending kids off campus for classes. If one gets kidnapped taking a bus downtown, is the school responsible? That's the kind of problems I was thinking of. Theoretically it is a great idea. In real life, I can see why it isn't done.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:09 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,220,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
You are assuming that an unschooled child only studies one thing?
no... A kid could choose all kind of things they find interesting and still have nothing to put together for a career when they're done.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:13 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,497,953 times
But still - to "school" is simply the process of teaching/learning...I still see it as a silly thing to call it "un" doing anything. If you are actually teaching/learning at home - you are homeschooling. I understand there are many philosophies - just like in traditional brick and mortar "schooling" there are many philosophies but it is all still called "schooling"...this "un" thing is just to make a silly point IMO. Either your kids are being taught (at a school building or at home) or they are not.

Last edited by maciesmom; 09-07-2010 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: mortar/mortal....2 different things.....

Old 09-07-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
One of my problems is that by the very act of home schooling or unschooling, I feel like the parents are saying "public education is not good enough" or "no school is good enough" "no teacher is good enough" for your kid. As a mom who sends my kids to public school, I feel like you are thinking that I am doing something wrong, or that the school may be good enough for me, but not for you. Do you parents think that, or am I way off?
Nope. None of my business how you educate your kids.
I don't know you. I don't know where you live, what your children are like, what your patience levels or educational background or personal capabilities are. I don't know what your school system is like. I do know what my kids are like, where I live, what our school system is like. In fact, I have children who graduated from public school. However, my youngest daughter is not a good fit with our current school system, and her brother is the sort of kid who could be well-educated under a lot of different circumstances. Why should I not choose what I feel is best at this particular time for my own younger children, just because something else works well for someone else?

That having been said...sure, there are sanctimonious homeschoolers who will say "it is the best, for everyone, forever, end of story". The same can be seen amongst public schoolers, Libertarians, Baptists, and city dwellers, too. Assholiness and broad-brush wielding are, sadly, human nature. They're not unique to homeschoolers.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
what I meant was, if a school district wanted to offer options like sending your kid to a museum class but getting school credit for it (just an example); the district would have to pay some one to deal with approval of the classes, and all that admin stuff. As far as safety, I meant the risks and liabilities of sending kids off campus for classes. If one gets kidnapped taking a bus downtown, is the school responsible? That's the kind of problems I was thinking of. Theoretically it is a great idea. In real life, I can see why it isn't done.
Well, yeah. Throw in the percentage of bridgetrolls masquerading as seventh graders in our particular school district, and I'm absolutely thrilled they keep them on campus whenever possible.
Again, though-- if I can, and want to, provide that for my children, if I can and am willing to provide advanced classes or therapies or other things that cost additional dollars to the district, why take up the taxpayers' monies educating my kids (and doing a less-stellar job of it in the bargain)? It's not like I don't still pay for everybody else's. My taxes still go to the district; I don't get them back. Near as I can see it, it's a win-win.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
no... A kid could choose all kind of things they find interesting and still have nothing to put together for a career when they're done.
It's possible. It's also possible to go completely through the public school system and be unfit for employment. (For that matter, it's possible to get your degree and still be unemployable, according to a friend who wrote her dissertation in Medieval French Lit.)
I could argue that education and vocational training are not necessarily the same thing, nor should they be, but I suspect that's a whole different thread. Optimally, both would occur-- simultaneously or separately-- before a child is deemed "adult"; unfortunately that is not always the case.
If Junior is still living in Mumsy's basement at 25, no matter where he was educated, as long as he doesn't run afoul of the law that's Mumsy's problem, IMO.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
But still - to "school" is simply the process of teaching/learning...I still see it as a silly thing to call it "un" doing anything. If you are actually teaching/learning at home - you are homeschooling. I understand there are many philosophies - just like in traditional brick and mortar "schooling" there are many philosophies but it is all still called "schooling"...this "un" thing is just to make a silly point IMO. Either your kids are being taught (at a school building or at home) or they are not.
Well, there's the rub. Passive voice, or active voice? Unschoolers are big on that active voice.

edited to add: dang, I'm wordy. Off to do algebra with the Boy. Cheers, ladies and gentlemen.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:30 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,191,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Don't get too excited and start house hunting in Pennsylvania yet. You couldn't easily "unschool" here since it doesn't sound like "unschooling" has any structure whatsoever. Homeschooling is regulated by the state. You would have to have a curriculum approved by your district superindendent, submit proof that the children are learning from the curriculum, and your children have to take the standardized tests like everyone else. If they aren't progressing appropriately, you can't continue to homeschool children in Pennsylvania. Homeschooling parents often say Pennsylvania's laws are anti-homeschooling. I think the laws are appropriate because the state allows homeschooling, but not to a child's detriment.
I'm not an unschooler, I just know people who do it and became curious about it so I read a bunch about it over the years. The type of homeschooling that I'm doing would be considered "eclectic".

My state also has regulations regarding homeschooling. Children need to either take standardized tests or be evaluated by a certified teacher beginning in 3rd grade. There are some districts that I know of who allow kids to participate by taking PT classes at school or getting involved in extracurriculars. Unfortunately I don't think that my district is one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting