Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 08:34 PM

72 posts, read 225,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Wait. That last sentence. Are your children with you in the bed when you are....

Whoa.
Wow, I missed that the first time. That is just disgusting. Child Protective Services should get involved, these children are being "raised" in an unhealthy environment. That is probably considered children endangerment or could be prosecuted as lewd act in front of a child. Some people have no dignity and don't know where to draw the line. Clearly there are a lot of inappropriate things going on in that home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 08:53 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,987,193 times
There's just so much wrong with this thread I don't even know where to start.

Parents of three children, one 7 years old, asking the opinions of a public forum how everyone else feels about them bedding down with their kids. While the family bed is a cute old fashioned notion, it's old fashioned because as a previous poster mentioned, it used to be there was only one room in a house, and sometimes, only one bed. It was a matter of practicality, not "progressive parenting."

Then there's the whole kids falling asleep to the TV. Great way to raise kids, just shove all that mind-numbing artificial interference into their brains, so when they get old enough, they won't know the difference when you switch to prozac because they suddenly discover there's life beyond the LED screen and they don't know how to handle it.

Now let's add sex in the family bed, while the family is there. Or perhaps - let's not, hm? Progressive my left butt cheek, that's just nasty. I don't care if you're descended from a native american princess or you saw it on Dances with Wolves - parents shouldn't be boinking while the kids are in bed with them. Period.

Then there's the whole education thing. Unschooling, if done by -educated- parents, might be an interesting and useful experience for the children. But when presented by a waitress and a car mechanic? And not just any waitress and car mechanic - a waitress and car mechanic who think it's a good idea for the kids to be in bed with them while they have sex, and one of them *definitely* old enough to ask some pretty intense questions if the grunting wakes her up.

Sorry. The whole thing is just wrong.

Added: And then txtqueen telling us that her SIXTEEN year old brother sleeps with his MOTHER sometimes? Are you kidding me?

Wrong. On just SO many levels. The whole. Darned. Thread.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:01 PM

6,190 posts, read 8,015,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

Parents of three children, one 7 years old, asking the opinions of a public forum how everyone else feels about them bedding down with their kids. While the family bed is a cute old fashioned notion, it's old fashioned because as a previous poster mentioned, it used to be there was only one room in a house, and sometimes, only one bed. It was a matter of practicality, not "progressive parenting."

Then there's the whole kids falling asleep to the TV. Great way to raise kids, just shove all that mind-numbing artificial interference into their brains, so when they get old enough, they won't know the difference when you switch to prozac because they suddenly discover there's life beyond the LED screen and they don't know how to handle it.

Now let's add sex in the family bed, while the family is there. Or perhaps - let's not, hm? Progressive my left butt cheek, that's just nasty. I don't care if you're descended from a native american princess or you saw it on Dances with Wolves - parents shouldn't be boinking while the kids are in bed with them. Period.

Then there's the whole education thing. Unschooling, if done by -educated- parents, might be an interesting and useful experience for the children. But when presented by a waitress and a car mechanic? And not just any waitress and car mechanic - a waitress and car mechanic who think it's a good idea for the kids to be in bed with them while they have sex, and one of them *definitely* old enough to ask some pretty intense questions if the grunting wakes her up.

Added: And then txtqueen telling us that her SIXTEEN year old brother sleeps with his MOTHER sometimes? Are you kidding me?

Boink boink boink....
Yeah its disgusting all of it.
And he's emotionally stunted and clingy and needy. For the majority he sleeps in his own room but he's super sensitive and needy and not at all independent.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:09 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,391,914 times
and I'm guessing the OP is well aware that cosleeping with a 7 yo is not the norm, and shouldn't have been surprised at her friends' reactions.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:22 PM

13,904 posts, read 10,209,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily2204 View Post
Wow, I missed that the first time. That is just disgusting. Child Protective Services should get involved, these children are being "raised" in an unhealthy environment. That is probably considered children endangerment or could be prosecuted as lewd act in front of a child. Some people have no dignity and don't know where to draw the line. Clearly there are a lot of inappropriate things going on in that home.

Let's not get carried away now. The OP said that she and hubby occaisionally did the do in the bed at night, and that they mainly do it in other rooms and at other times, and also said that the children have their own beds that they sleep in for periods of time so you don't know whether the kids were in the bed or not, she never stated that they were.

She and her hubby may raise their family in a different way than you (which has been pointed out numerous times is common in other parts of the world and has been the norm in the US for a relatively short period of time) but that doesn't mean it's time to send in the decency police for gawd's sake, or quite possibly get the wheels in motion for having the children removed and put into some horrible situation away from their loving family.

I would also think that the absolute worse that would happen in this situation is that they would do it very quietly in their bed while their children are sleeping - and although it may be something you and I would not do it hardly ranks up there with swinging from the rafters with a bunch of hookers and blow while the children look on, which is more what I would consider "lewd acts in front of a child".

Quite frankly, I find the fact that people overreact so vehmently just because somebody else is a bit outside the norm far more disturbing than anything the OP has to say so far.

I also don't see how it's clear that there are "other innapropriate things going on in that home."

Old 09-05-2010, 09:26 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,132,446 times
If you look at what the OP said, there is nothing that says they have sex when the children are in the bed. You don't have to have sex in bed or when the kids are there. Aside from that the kids do have their own room and do sometimes sleep in that room, so there is no need to think that the parents are doing anything wrong. Reading comprehension would be nice and not making leaps from cosleeping to sexual behavior would be nice too.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:31 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,252,058 times
and the little one said "roll over".....

Old 09-05-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
and the little one said "roll over".....
Lol.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:44 PM

More like the little one said "stop humping"

Old 09-05-2010, 09:45 PM

13,904 posts, read 10,209,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

You know I love you, AnonChick, but I have to take issue with this part. What makes you think a waitress and a car mechanic can't be educated?

There are a lot of highly educated waitresses around today, can't get their educated asses into an educated job that doesn't exist. Car mechanics are pretty skilled as well. Do you eat in restaurants and get your car fixed? If you do, then I would propose these professions are valuable to you as well as society and that these parents are not necessarily unqualified in raising their kids in the way they see fit, even if the blessed general public disagrees with them.

And she said she had sex in the bed when they were feeling lazy, not that the kids were in the bed at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting