Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 03:24 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,583,675 times

Advertisements

Sooo...when the kids have to enter the real world, what are you doing to prepare them for that?? They won't get to do what they want, when they want in the real world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 03:36 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,896,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Sooo...when the kids have to enter the real world, what are you doing to prepare them for that?? They won't get to do what they want, when they want in the real world.

And what about traditional school prepares you for the real world? How many people actually utilize the skils taught in school? How many people go beyond a basic level of math day to day, or english, or history? I used to wait tables part time and can tell you most kids in school are not prepared at all for the real world. Most of them had very little common sense, and didn't understand the basics of finance. Preparing little ones for the real world is the job of the parents and not the school system. Kids want to know how to do things....so is it more important my child spends the afternoon with his daddy learning how to fix the car or algebra he most likely will never use? Some unschoolers let the children totally dictate, we don't, we don't chose what they learn beyond the basics....but they know they are expected to stick with what they do want to learn . I do understand most parents concerns,but to be honest most of the attacks on it are unfounded bits of emotional reaction.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:42 PM

72 posts, read 225,541 times
This is just so disturbing, it sounds like something that should be addressed on the Dr. Phil show. Those poor children, they are going to be psychologically damaged and not understand why the rest of the world thinks they are so weird. The truth is that one day they will have to function in society and they aren't being given the adequate tools to do so. They are not being given a proper education, not being appropriately socialized and will probably have a very hard time being successful. I have actually seen this being addressed before by professionals, and it mostly has to do with the insecurities that the parents feel. It can be categorized as a psychological attachment disorder. They are keeping their children in their beds because it's easier for them, it makes them feel better emotionally, with no regard to the devastation it has on the child's development. Not to mention it's extremely creepy at the age of 7 to be sleeping with your adult parent. This is borderline inappropriate and child services might be interested in what exactly is going on. Of course everyone has the "right" to raise their children however they feel like it, but that is why so many children end up with crippling mental and psychological problems.

People can do whatever they want, but I don't understand someone who would want to handicap their child in such a way. This is how society is going to view them, like someone else said, it tends not to be kind to anomalies and extremes.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:43 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,583,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
And what about traditional school prepares you for the real world? How many people actually utilize the skils taught in school? How many people go beyond a basic level of math day to day, or english, or history? I used to wait tables part time and can tell you most kids in school are not prepared at all for the real world. Most of them had very little common sense, and didn't understand the basics of finance. Preparing little ones for the real world is the job of the parents and not the school system. Kids want to know how to do things....so is it more important my child spends the afternoon with his daddy learning how to fix the car or algebra he most likely will never use? Some unschoolers let the children totally dictate, we don't, we don't chose what they learn beyond the basics....but they know they are expected to stick with what they do want to learn . I do understand most parents concerns,but to be honest most of the attacks on it are unfounded bits of emotional reaction.
Well, most of the people I know have jobs that are beyond waiting tables and DO use things like algebra every day. I think that most "attacks" aren't really attacks but people that live in the real world and have to deal with kids that were "unschooled"...

Old 09-05-2010, 03:49 PM

50,643 posts, read 64,731,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post
Feeling weird to admit this, but I slept in the same bed with my mom until I was around 9/10 or so (estimating b/c I can't remember the exact age...I may be off). I always found my room to be particularly creepy at night and didn't like sleeping there as a child. I still find my room creepy, although I sleep in it or just rest on the family room couch w/ the TV on. Plus, my dad slept upstairs since his snoring was quite cumbersome and ridiculously loud...more room for me! Eventually, I realized that sleeping in my mom's room was weird (by going to friends' houses for sleepovers and realized that they slept in their own room) and just started to sleep in my own bed in my dark and creepy room.

Needless to say, I still have issues with the dark...at my old, creaky house. Not so much at college. But I have grown accustomed to sleeping with the lights/TV on.
You may have illustrated the point I made earlier. You may have these issues now BECAUSE you slept with your mom, and did not learn confidence and self sufficiency in this area at the time when most children do.

Old 09-05-2010, 04:13 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,338,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
What about waiting tables gave you insight into how ready kids are for the real world?

Old 09-05-2010, 04:27 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,091,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Unschooled children live in the real world every day.

Think of it this way:

When your child is born, they cannot walk. Do you put them in a school to learn to walk? No, you don't. You watch, wait, help if they need a hand, but you cannot and do not teach them to walk (unless you have a special needs child who needs specialized help).

Do you teach them to talk? No, you talk to them, you expose them to speaking, but you don't send them to school to learn to speak (unless you have a special needs child who needs specialized help)

Many of us contend that children also learn to read best when they are exposed to books, read to and taught only if they want to learn and are interested in doing so. The same is true of math skills. These kids will learn when they are ready and have a need for learning.

Children come into the world curious and wanting to learn as much as they can.

YouTube - TYT Debate: Is Unschooling A Good Idea?

Dorothy

Old 09-05-2010, 04:36 PM

4,563 posts, read 10,990,148 times
Regarding the co sleeping thing, obviously do whatever you want for your family.... But be prepared for the reactions you got from the other mothers and on here. If not prepared for that or you don't want to defend it, then the best advise is to not ever bring it up.

As far as what is learned in school. Yes, parents need to teach their kids common sense and real life. But there are things that can be learned in school that go beyond the basics.

For example; how to deal with other people, how to work in groups with people who have different styles of doing things, how to deal with a teacher you might not like, how to push yourself beyond your comfort zone. All of which translate well later on when you have a job and coworkers and bosses.

Old 09-05-2010, 04:36 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,338,426 times
Default unschooling

I didn't watch the whole video. In theory, I see what you are saying. I love to watch my kids learn things by exploring outside or at a museum. But that's in addition to school. There is a lot to be learned at school that can't be duplicated elsewhere. I don't want to go too far off topic, but this un-schooling sounds ridiculous. How will the kids learn basics like showing up on time and sitting quietly in a group? I could go on... I just don't get it.

Old 09-05-2010, 04:56 PM

556 posts, read 801,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Unschooled children live in the real world every day.

Think of it this way:

When your child is born, they cannot walk. Do you put them in a school to learn to walk? No, you don't. You watch, wait, help if they need a hand, but you cannot and do not teach them to walk (unless you have a special needs child who needs specialized help).

Do you teach them to talk? No, you talk to them, you expose them to speaking, but you don't send them to school to learn to speak (unless you have a special needs child who needs specialized help)

Many of us contend that children also learn to read best when they are exposed to books, read to and taught only if they want to learn and are interested in doing so. The same is true of math skills. These kids will learn when they are ready and have a need for learning.

Children come into the world curious and wanting to learn as much as they can.

YouTube - TYT Debate: Is Unschooling A Good Idea?

Dorothy

Could not disagree more! Walking and talking are 2 natural things. Things that do not need to be taught but are needed for survival. Math, reading, history, philosophy etc. are all things that need to be taught.

I'm going to go there....the cosleeping at these kids ages is weird and creepy and lazy enough. Now let's add that they some times have sex in the bed when they are "lazy". NOW add in the fact that those kids aren't exposed to normal people and are being unschooled , my GOD! How is it even legal to "raise" kids like that in 2010?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting