Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 10:29 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,358,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopes View Post
i could say i did that on purpose so you wouldn't feel badly for not knowing what a county was. :d everyone makes mistakes, especially about other people's countries!
lol!

Old 08-29-2010, 10:31 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,358,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The List Price for the TI-83 is $129.00.

The only people who pay list on these, are people who can afford to pay list, and therefore wouldn't complain about the price.

You can get a mint-condition new one on e-bay for $64.00 buyout; several sellers have them listed for that price, complete with the necessary whatever-those-things-are that attach to the thing.

I just mentioned it because it was in the Zellers flyer and it said it had a lowest price guarantee. I'm in canada remember. If I really needed one I would research it better. I have no idea what a good price for those is anyways.

Last edited by KylieEve; 08-29-2010 at 10:33 AM.. Reason: .

Old 08-29-2010, 10:46 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,867,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The List Price for the TI-83 is $129.00.

The only people who pay list on these, are people who can afford to pay list, and therefore wouldn't complain about the price.

You can get a mint-condition new one on e-bay for $64.00 buyout; several sellers have them listed for that price, complete with the necessary whatever-those-things-are that attach to the thing.
We sold all three of ours (Yes we had 3. I had one my sis had one then she lost hers bought a new one and found the old one) on Craig's List for $50. The one without the instruction went for $40. My mom was just happy to rid our house of the ever growing pile of "things" from when we where in high school.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:50 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,439,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
We sold all three of ours (Yes we had 3. I had one my sis had one then she lost hers bought a new one and found the old one) on Craig's List for $50. The one without the instruction went for $40. My mom was just happy to rid our house of the ever growing pile of "things" from when we where in high school.
Craig's list is a great idea! I probably have at least 5 of them laying around the house. I'm going to sell them on Craig's List. Thanks!

Old 08-29-2010, 12:57 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,089,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
No thank-you! Yeah I'm sure it will get less expensive but then I have 3 kids total so....
Obviously, I can't speak for Canada, but school supplies are just as expensive, if not even more, for middle school than for elementary school here in Colorado. Honestly, I don't mind the expense. I think my local schools do a tremendous job of educating kids, and I consider it important to support their efforts.

One thing we are very careful to do is save things from year to year. My kids use the same rulers, scissors, backpacks, calculators, pencil cases, protractors, erasers, and lunch boxes year after year. If folders/binders are still in good condition, we re-use those, too. The plastic pocket folders my son used in second grade were just fine to use for third grade.

School supply lists seem to change very little, so we watch for sales during the year. Most of the time we end up buying supplies at Target, which has awesome sales in late summer. If there's a really great deal, we buy extras and put the items in a large box for homework and school projects. It also gives us a head-start on next year's list.

Here's my third-grader's list...

60 #2 pencils with erasers, sharpened, Ticonderoga Brand (no mechanical pencils or erasable pens)
1 Pair Fiscar 6” student scissors
2 Boxes large/jumbo Kleenex (150-200 count each)
1 Containers anti-bacterial wipes
1 Tub Clorox wipes (For Library/Computer Lab to be used for cleaning desks/keyboards. No aloe or diaper wipes)
1 Box (48) crayons
2 Sharpie black permanent markers
2 Hi-Lighters (any color)
1 Metric/standard wooden ruler (no flexibles)
1 Box (24) colored pencils, sharpened
5 Laminated sturdy pocket folders - plain
4 Composition notebooks (black speckled)
5 Red pens
1 4 oz. Bottle Elmer’s white school glue (no colored glue)
1 Pencil box (approximately 8” x 5 ��”)
1 Large glue stick
1 Large pink eraser
3 Wide-ruled spiral notebooks
2 Packages Post-It notes (lined, 4” x 4”)

Most of the stuff was really inexpensive, with the exception of the post-it notes. I suspect that his supplies were about $40 this year. My sixth-grader's list was just as long and a bit more expensive, as she needed binders for each one of her core classes. I think we paid about $2.50 each for those. She also needed a special locker organizer, because the middle school lockers are extremely narrow, two combination locks, and two PE uniforms.

It's the activity fees and pledges that typically take my breath away. (The elementary school requests $125 per kid, and we give the same to the middle school, plus fees for any special activities like after-school sports, theater, and music.) But, I don't typically complain, unless I'm really convinced there is egregious waste. As I said before, I think our schools are top-notch, and I feel good supporting them in any way I can.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 08-29-2010 at 01:46 PM..

Old 08-29-2010, 02:00 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,065,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post
. It also sucks that you cannot buy the dollar store pencils.
One reason that you are not supposed to by the dollar store pencils is that they often do not sharpen well and break frequently.

I am finding it difficult to get really good #2 pencils anymore.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:07 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,919,037 times
Dixon and Ticonderoga are great, and the Staples' pencils are made by one of those two. Basically you're needing real wood, rather than composite. If you get real wood with graphite leads you shouldn't have any problem at all.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:09 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,065,029 times
Ticonderogas are now made in China. Are they still real wood?

Old 08-29-2010, 02:59 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,919,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Ticonderogas are now made in China. Are they still real wood?
Yes. Ticonderoga and Dixon are actually both made by the same manufacturer. Ticonderoga #2 is cedar - same wood they've used since the brand originated. Dixon uses a couple of different types of wood, and they have a eco-friendly pencil made from the wood of reforested trees in some rainforest somewhere.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:03 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,112,673 times
What in the world do elementary school kids need all the spiral notebooks AND composition books for? That to me seems ridiculous. Just give the kid a binder with paper in it, and all is good. That's what we did, and we didn't have any problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.