Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 06:32 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,878,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
My "" were there because I don't think either is "jet setting". They are doing their jobs and charity. I doubt the parental Duggars are cleaning out the mini bar in those swanky hotels. They are sleeping there. They'd be just as happy with a Motel6, but that's not what the Today show provides

They might not be though....for all you know the parent's like the pampering....and regardless if they like it or not....my point still stands the girls are not given a fair shake i feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 06:56 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,177,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Sheltered in the sense of what we have been exposed to.

If someone cussed me out. I wouldn't even be phased.
If this happened to a "sheltered person" some people cry and get all shocked and offended and can't cope with their emotions afterwards.

I can get in a car accident and not even be upset.
Yet I was on a car accident last ride along and there was an 18 year old guy who was like meek and fragile and COULD not for the life of him handle a small fender bender, it was as if he had just watched someone die. The BACK passenger door was dented up.

When bad things happen I don't get overwhelmed with emotions. I figure out a plan and put it into action and get things done.
Some people are so caught up in reacting like fools to things that they can't even function. It's pathetic.
Pathetic is in the eyes of the beholder. I find some of what I'm reading here to be pathetic. All a matter of opinion, common sense, compassion, and maturity.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
I just don't get why adults would live a childs life.
Its ridiculous.

You are an adult so you CAN do different things than children.
Yet it seems like they live childish, sheltered lives well into adulthood, none of those adults do any adult things, ever.

Just the other night I enjoyed a glass of wine with the people I nanny for, while sitting outside talking about careers.
I lead now, what I would call a very normal life.
Do you consider enjoying a glass of wine a symbol of adulthood? Do you consider people "sheltered" if they live alcohol free?

Old 10-04-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Let's see...they support their family in a way that fits into their belief system. Yep...pretty childish.

Just because it doesn't fit YOUR idea of a lifestyle YOU would choose, does not make it childish. Having a glass of wine, sitting outside discussing careers is not the end-all measure of adulthood. You have undoubtedly made strides in your own journey towards adulthood. No question there. Happy for you. But there is a whole variety of lifestyles out there that are just as valid as the ones you think you'd like.
Now, don't be getting all rational and mature here.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:42 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,181,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Their views are backwards to you, but obviously not to them.

And I am sure if the Duggars were mean and hateful people reading a public forum like this they might think several on here were weird.

This all comes down to,just because it is not the majorities way of life does not make it wrong.
Exactly. First let me say I know the Duggar's personally (Jim Bob is my husbands cousin). They are good people. What is filmed is a very small portion of their lives there is so much that is not shown.

I try to be tolerant of everyone's differences. I don't kid myself into thinking that everything and everyone should think, act and believe as I do. I can not fathom why there are so many people out there that think anything other than the norm is wrong.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:02 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,295,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
Exactly. First let me say I know the Duggar's personally (Jim Bob is my husbands cousin). They are good people. What is filmed is a very small portion of their lives there is so much that is not shown.

I try to be tolerant of everyone's differences. I don't kid myself into thinking that everything and everyone should think, act and believe as I do. I can not fathom why there are so many people out there that think anything other than the norm is wrong.
Any set of parents that are in the spotlight that can raise 19 kids and you never once hear anything negative about these kids (other than what is said on boards like this one) seems to me as if they have it all together.

Some of the comments I have read in regards to the Duggars are such a sad commentary on what our world has become. I guess I am simple in my thinking but if I disliked what this family stood for as much as some people seem to, I sure wouldn't waste my time watching them on tv, and if I didn't watch them, they why would I even both to post anything about them, seeing as I wouldn't know what happens each week on the show.

Alot of people use the excuse that they can say what they want about the Duggars because they have put their life on national tv, and in that they are correct, I just can't fathom why if you dislike and disgree with the lifestyle they have chosen do you watch the show?

Old 10-08-2010, 12:29 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,292,971 times
Choices, schmoices. Imagine if everyone bred rampantly like that. The planet is already choking under the weight of overpopulation. The world doesn't need to have 20 more people added from just two sets of genes, as though this couple's progeny somehow deserve to take up more space and consume more resources than anyone else's.

Heck yes, I'm judging them. They have no thought for the world around them and their family's carbon footprint. Zero social and environmental responsibility there. Ye gods!

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af266/aviennesnark/notaclowncar.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-08-2010, 02:24 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,267,419 times
Quote:
Just the other night I enjoyed a glass of wine with the people I nanny for, while sitting outside talking about careers.
I lead now, what I would call a very normal life.
You lead what I would call a very sheltered life. Sitting outside, drinking a glass of wine with your employers may make you feel terribly grown up, but you are not yet in the "real world".

Get back to us in 30 years and let us know how much that glass of wine taught you about life and how it is for the other 99.99999% of people on this planet.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:12 PM

556 posts, read 799,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Choices, schmoices. Imagine if everyone bred rampantly like that. The planet is already choking under the weight of overpopulation. The world doesn't need to have 20 more people added from just two sets of genes, as though this couple's progeny somehow deserve to take up more space and consume more resources than anyone else's.

Heck yes, I'm judging them. They have no thought for the world around them and their family's carbon footprint. Zero social and environmental responsibility there. Ye gods!

Really?! I can't believe how many people care more about carbon footprints than human people. I'll take 20 Duggars over 20 trees any day!

Old 10-08-2010, 07:52 PM

422 posts, read 651,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post

Given the fact that they grow food, buy used,sew clothes, recycle, only have 2 vehicles, make their own detergent etc....I think they are FAR more environmentally friendly than the "normal" family of four across the street with their 3 SUV's, lights on 24/7, bottled water crap. That's an excuse to slam them because you disagree with them. And unless you walk everywhere you go in homemade hemp sandals and only use candlelight then give it a rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting