Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 09:55 AM

24 posts, read 112,527 times

Advertisements

what is the best city/state for a single mom to live? Any feedback will be helpful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 11:07 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,488,962 times
What are you looking for?

Old 06-24-2007, 11:25 AM

504 posts, read 1,765,579 times
Someplace where the child has people that love him/her besides you.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:13 PM

113 posts, read 771,072 times
I would think that any big, major city would be good for a single mom. I was a single mom for 10 years before getting married, and I lived in New York City. There are many ways to seek help as a single mom, but you do have to know where to look. For example, my cousin is a single mom and she gets babysitting vouchers from the city to help pay for daycare, but she had to make a lot of phone calls, do research, and visit a lot of places. She was also eligible for rent assistance as a single mom, but she passed on it.

Also, in bigger cities, there are multitudes of different families... multi/bi-racial, single parent (mom or dad), intergenerational, etc. Being a single mom won't even get you a second look My concern for my son was that he would be the only kid with only one parent, but some of his classmates were being raised by just dads or grandparents. In other words, diversity abounded in the public schools in many ways, not just with race but in family makeup.

There are also many parts of each city that can accommodate any socioeconomic status, whether it's fancy digs or a room share in an apartment... making it easier to find a home.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Old 06-24-2007, 01:21 PM

504 posts, read 1,765,579 times
Being a single Mom means you don't have to support your child? Rent assistance, day care vouchers, how about personal responsibility and having a child you can afford?
Being a single parent is a choice, one that I made my self but your job as a parent is supporting that child not depending on the government for help.
You will need support from loving relatives more than anyone, not a city with lots of government assistance.

Old 06-24-2007, 03:17 PM

113 posts, read 771,072 times
I can understand your gall at the thought that single moms need assistance. Believe me, I was there. I never availed of public assistance and I never allowed my being a single mom to deter me from pursuing what I wanted to (career, education, etc.) I was fortunate enough to have family support throughout my son's upbringing.

But the truth is, single mothers face a gamut of obstacles, whether it's financial obstacles, social obstacles, or plain babysitting obstacles. My cousin is one of these women. My suggestion to dward417 stems simply from that. I'm not assuming that she needs government assistance, but should she need it (or anyone else for that matter), she/they should know that there resources to seek out.

Also, not everyone chooses to be a single parent. Single parenthood can come from divorce, and I don't think that was necessarily a choice when people vowed to live happily ever after. And if a single mom should need assistance, it's unfair to cast a negative light on them for seeking out resources that the government makes available for such situations.

Old 06-24-2007, 03:28 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,305,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander59 View Post
Being a single Mom means you don't have to support your child? Rent assistance, day care vouchers, how about personal responsibility and having a child you can afford?
Being a single parent is a choice, one that I made my self but your job as a parent is supporting that child not depending on the government for help.
You will need support from loving relatives more than anyone, not a city with lots of government assistance.
WHAT??

Being a single Mother is a choice?? Maybe for you, that choice was made FOR me by her Father...I never made that choice, I always wanted a family with a Father AND a Mother with children...he took that away from me.

If the man can't step up then there is no shame in taking help where its offered.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:03 PM

45 posts, read 210,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander59 View Post

I don't think most people choose to be single moms. Maybe she got a divorce.
We women are so quick to judge one another.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:30 PM

well i would like to live where i can get some assistance. I live in georgia now and have 3 kids and cannot not get anything. I make pretty decent money but its never enough. My brother lives in New York and he loves it

Old 06-24-2007, 10:31 PM

never thought of new york....wanted to move near the west coast
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting