Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 09:30 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,491,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
then maybe she just hasn't had enough exposure to action type movies ?!?!!?
If you ask me, you can never have too little exposure to "action type" movies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 07:49 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,557,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
It's exactly because of her sound issues we haven't taken her to more movies. Also she is vietnamese, very tiny and can barely hold the seat down to sit comfortably. She has been exposed to probably more than most kids her age and exposure hasn't helped with her particular sensory issues. She still holds her ears when we walk on the beach. But next time I will try squishy ear plugs and see if that helps.
BTW her sister who is only 4 months older had a great time at the movies but I have always had problems with extra loud sound at public movies and I'm even losing hearing (low tones) in both ears.
Please don't take offense as I cannot control "tone" of message, but there sounds like there are issues she struggles with at an age many kids have outgrown them (or maybe not!) & thus, a general question is probably not the best for her. She has specific needs that need to be meet...maybe post this on the special needs forum & see if any parents have good suggestions b/c it does sound like she has sensory challenges that need to be addressed & which you are trying to do.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:38 AM

1,476 posts, read 2,036,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
Thanks for the tip, I'll wait until it comes out on video. I was thinking to take my kids, age 3 1/2 and 7, but thought it might be too much.

My daughter, age 7, was pretty much forced to watch UP twice and it bothered her so much for days. I don't think kids' movies are made for kids anymore. Too much adult content, too much high end graphics. Kids don't need or want all that. I feel like there aren't any appropriate movies to take my kids to anymore.
I think sandycat is absolutely correct. Most kids movies are more for adults than kids. And the theater sound systems are way too loud. Most kids have been dragged to movies or plopped in front of TV's watching whatever their parents or older sibs watch and have become desensitized to the overstimulation of excessive action, violence, noise from an early age. Just because your dd hasn't been desensitized, doesn't mean there is anything wrong with her and certainly nothing diagnosable. You sound like a sensitive mom raising a sensitive child. Let her go at her own pace, stay in touch and she'll do fine.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:34 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,654,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
It's exactly because of her sound issues we haven't taken her to more movies. Also she is vietnamese, very tiny and can barely hold the seat down to sit comfortably. She has been exposed to probably more than most kids her age and exposure hasn't helped with her particular sensory issues. She still holds her ears when we walk on the beach. But next time I will try squishy ear plugs and see if that helps.
BTW her sister who is only 4 months older had a great time at the movies but I have always had problems with extra loud sound at public movies and I'm even losing hearing (low tones) in both ears.
This is what I was hoping to find out. It's not this specific movie that is the problem for her, but the surroundings.

So, reading the title sounds like you are condemning TS3, when in reality it was the experience of the movie.

Good to know the difference.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:42 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,471,009 times
She sounds like a sensitive child. And this is not a bad thing. Some of our greatest writers and thinkers and painters and poets would have reacted just as your daughter did, kudzu. I'm going to PM you when I have a bit more time to share what I've learned.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:48 AM

831 posts, read 1,591,915 times
I am 34 and the loundess of the movies make me nervous. I would do the earplugs, take a lap blanket and a favorite stuffed animal for her. I always take a little blanket for my kids. When I can remember I take earplugs for myself. I don't think you need to "toughen her up." I would guess it is a noise thing if she thinks the ocean is too loud also. My dd is 11 and she stll says the witch in Snow White gives her thr creeps.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:35 PM

133 posts, read 629,636 times
We took our 3 and 6 year old to Toy Story 3 this weekend and while I LOVED the movie and can admit I cried, there were parts that I know would have terrified me as a kid.

My kids loved it and want to see it again and there was one part where my 3 year old looked at me and said he wanted to go home (the point where they all held hands for those who have seen it) because he had a grasp of what was going on. But a few minutes later he was laughing and asked to see it again as soon as the credits rolled.

But, there was one of those monkey toys with the cymbils that was rather scary and the big baby toy was pretty freaky. I think the 8 year old me would have been afraid of those things.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:27 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,112,526 times
I saw it today with an eight-year-old and an eleven-year-old. We all loved it!

Old 06-21-2010, 06:40 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,235,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
This is what I was hoping to find out. It's not this specific movie that is the problem for her, but the surroundings.

So, reading the title sounds like you are condemning TS3, when in reality it was the experience of the movie.

Good to know the difference.
Since she specifically referred to scary monkeys, I would assume it was both, or at least that the degree of dramatic tension, characterizations of the antagonists, and photographic technique used in TS3 might pose more of a problem than, say, Care Bears Go To Iowa?

Old 06-21-2010, 08:10 AM

47,525 posts, read 70,130,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
She sounds like a sensitive child. And this is not a bad thing. Some of our greatest writers and thinkers and painters and poets would have reacted just as your daughter did, kudzu. I'm going to PM you when I have a bit more time to share what I've learned.
That's true. Unfortunately the world and other people don't make life easy for the very sensitive. Parents sometimes have to help kids get thicker skins so they can function - but carefully because it can't be the parents making life difficult for the child. The sweet and fragile delicate flowers can be crushed, you sometimes have to help them grow tougher.

Maybe pointing out the cartoon aspect, the "behind the scenes" roles, the writers, sound effects would help her see it's not real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting