Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2010, 02:47 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,071,399 times

Advertisements

I thought it would be a good place to ask, since there are so many people here on CD, and I'm sure of all race and color.

Lately, I've been feeling very empty inside, I don't know the cause, and nothings really happened recently in the last 4 months for me to even feel this way. I'm only a few days short of my next birthday, but I feel very shattered from the inside, and the reason is just a mystery.
And no, it's not a relationship/girl problem lol.

Anyone else able to relate to this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 05:02 AM

18,129 posts, read 11,770,718 times
Yup, birthdays will get to ya!

Spoiler

Age?

Old 04-30-2010, 05:35 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,607,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I thought it would be a good place to ask, since there are so many people here on CD, and I'm sure of all race and color.

Lately, I've been feeling very empty inside, I don't know the cause, and nothings really happened recently in the last 4 months for me to even feel this way. I'm only a few days short of my next birthday, but I feel very shattered from the inside, and the reason is just a mystery.
And no, it's not a relationship/girl problem lol.

Anyone else able to relate to this?
I checked out your profile and some of your other posts. From the little I read, there are numerous things that could contribute to your recent unsettled emotions. You're at a milestone year and transitioning in several other ways as well: new school/career, new place to live, away from family, etc. Plus, you're having this milestone year but your brother won't and that's likely contributing to your introspective mood these days. So, this existential crisis seems expected and "normal" to me - and transitory.

If you've been feeling "very empty" and "shattered" most of the time for more than a month or two, I'd encourage you to see a LSW or Psychologist/Psychiatrist. Even a few visits could make a big difference in helping you understand why you're feeling that way and how to manage those feelings/reactions. Sometimes just understanding it a little is a big relief.

All the best to you - you will weather this!

Old 04-30-2010, 09:18 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,253,111 times
This is going to sound like such a cliche.....but I have really found that when I go through times of feeling empty and unhappy....the best thing for me to do is to get out there and do something for someone else. Donate some time to a charity, help someone move, visit an elderly person, just finding something to do that makes me quit dwelling on myself and my own problems always makes me feel better and more fulfilled.

Granted, life is full of disappointments and things we don't understand, but as we understand that we all go through phases of discontent and hurt.....we grow into a new maturity. The trick is to just not focus so much on ourselves during those periods. Look out beyond today and see that there IS a light at the end of every tunnel.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:27 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,314,738 times
You are still very young and still transitioning. And, while you're going to school and have goals, you are nevertheless a young person during very challenging times here AND in the world as a whole, and that's enough to pull over a few dark clouds. Could some of it be insecurity during these bad times?

I think GloryB has some good suggestions. Doing good for someone else can enhance your feeling of purpose.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, by the way. Mine was on the 25th. Use your Taurean stubborn streak to good advantage!

Old 04-30-2010, 06:34 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,221,304 times
One thing to keep in mind.....EVERYTHING is temporary, even moods. Whatever is contributing to your funk at the moment will transition to something else and likely better. Eventually, you will get to the other side of the swamp and be in another phase of your life. Life is like that....ups, downs, level periods. In the meantime, if you have the time to devote to it, volunteering at a school, a nursing home, your local library, etc. is a good idea. Doing things to make yourself feel useful is excellent therapy. Good luck.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:54 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,243,608 times
I get in a rut from time to time.
Sometimes extra activity helps, other times I just need some quiet time.
Weather effects it once in awhile.
I think it's an individual thing.

The sun will shine for you again hang in there.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:32 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,071,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
You are still very young and still transitioning. And, while you're going to school and have goals, you are nevertheless a young person during very challenging times here AND in the world as a whole, and that's enough to pull over a few dark clouds. Could some of it be insecurity during these bad times?

I think GloryB has some good suggestions. Doing good for someone else can enhance your feeling of purpose.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, by the way. Mine was on the 25th. Use your Taurean stubborn streak to good advantage!
Happy Belated Birthday! And thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
This is going to sound like such a cliche.....but I have really found that when I go through times of feeling empty and unhappy....the best thing for me to do is to get out there and do something for someone else. Donate some time to a charity, help someone move, visit an elderly person, just finding something to do that makes me quit dwelling on myself and my own problems always makes me feel better and more fulfilled.

Granted, life is full of disappointments and things we don't understand, but as we understand that we all go through phases of discontent and hurt.....we grow into a new maturity. The trick is to just not focus so much on ourselves during those periods. Look out beyond today and see that there IS a light at the end of every tunnel.
Glory, I'm actually really interested in doing some projects for animal awareness, in our world today, they could use all the help they can get! Animal species are dying off, and they're being treated so badly, it really makes me dislike the nature of the world we live in today. So I'm trying to maximize my efforts to help them, in any way possible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
I checked out your profile and some of your other posts. From the little I read, there are numerous things that could contribute to your recent unsettled emotions. You're at a milestone year and transitioning in several other ways as well: new school/career, new place to live, away from family, etc. Plus, you're having this milestone year but your brother won't and that's likely contributing to your introspective mood these days. So, this existential crisis seems expected and "normal" to me - and transitory.

If you've been feeling "very empty" and "shattered" most of the time for more than a month or two, I'd encourage you to see a LSW or Psychologist/Psychiatrist. Even a few visits could make a big difference in helping you understand why you're feeling that way and how to manage those feelings/reactions. Sometimes just understanding it a little is a big relief.

All the best to you - you will weather this!
Yeah, a lot of the inner depression probably does come from my little brothers death... mainly because I go to college and saw him 4 days before he passed away, and I wish I took advantage of the time I had with him, I just didn't know...

It's actually taught me to appreciate the time I spend with everyone I care about, it has a lot more meaning into it.

I always convince myself there's nothing I could have done, but the last few hours I ever saw him, make me really regret how much initiative I took to spend time with him.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond to my thread, it really means a lot more than I can express on CD!

Old 05-01-2010, 05:47 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,338,192 times
I feel sad, and hopeful and sorta joyful and a little scared, but courageous and basically given the right shoulder I could cry my guts out and then laugh about it. I guess I am a little all over the place. I probably shouldn't make any significant decisions at this point. Oh well I will think about the heavy stuff later and concentrate on the beauty of the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics