Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 05:49 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,160,744 times

Advertisements

I recall as a young person that my parents were almost constantly invited to cocktail parties. during the late 1960s and early 1970s this was without a doubt the most common and popular form of adult socializing and entertainment (at least where I lived).

My parents *were* social butterflies (I'll admit it), which I definitely am not. However, I can honestly say that during the past....oh....30 years, I have not been invited ONCE to a cocktail party. I've been to many BBQs, a few miscellaneous sorts of parties (birthday, 4th of July, etc.,) but not one, single cocktail party.

Recently, I picked up a wonderful little book written in the 1960s entitled "Playboy's Guide to Entertaining" and it reminded me how wonderful those cocktail parties were.

Does anybody have them, or go to them any more? I am wondering if perhaps in a more metropolitan (big city) atmosphere, if people might still be enjoying this wonderful tradition. Maybe in Europe? Anybody?

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 06:26 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,220,336 times
Cocktail parties with buffets are probably still quite common in high powered circles, especially when there is social and business-related mixing to be done, but with the cost of booze being what it is today, most people I know opt for a BBQ with beer and wine on a summer evening or a BYOB party for a New Year's Eve or Halloween party. Still you might find a small group of friends meeting at someone's house for cocktails before going on to a dinner party at a Country Club.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:19 PM

44,651 posts, read 61,691,885 times
Cocktail parties were a popular phase amongst most people years ago. Today it seems to be primarily a status symbol with the white collar class.
Me, I'd rather be with the down to earth blue collar beer and bar-b-que group.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:49 AM

27,366 posts, read 27,416,550 times
Hmmm, never been to one of those and I probaly wouldnt go if I were invited to one, would feel a bit out of place.
My idea of a 'cocktail' party would be a small bunch of hicks (and I say that proudly!) gathered on someones front porch and the kitchen counter filled with bottles of stuff you can make your own 'cocktails' with. JD and Coke, L I Ice tea, Bloody Marys, and the blender is on the other counter if you wanna make your own Margaritas, etc. The ice chest of beer is outside.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:50 AM

27,366 posts, read 27,416,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Cocktail parties were a popular phase amongst most people years ago. Today it seems to be primarily a status symbol with the white collar class.
Me, I'd rather be with the down to earth blue collar beer and bar-b-que group.
Im with ya here!

Old 04-13-2010, 11:54 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,313,679 times
They're dead here. Oregonians are notorious for not entertaining in their homes and I'm no different. I've been here and cannot recall being invited to, or anyone giving a, cocktail party just to drink and socialize.

Husband and I have put on a couple of neighborhood bbq's, though. One was a pig on a spit and that was fun in a different way.

Cocktail parties may very well still exist in the upper-class group but I wouldn't know.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:16 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,739,303 times
Not sure you would call them cocktail parties since they were usually held in the driveways, but when we first moved here if anyone sat out in their driveway with a drink after work you would end up with anywhere from 10 to 30 adults and children.

We played fun games like closest to the far curb wins and the prize was another beer (yeah, like the loser didn't get one!). That game was held in our drive where the slope was a great encouragement to rolling beer cans. Bouncing off the far curb was acceptable.

Some of the best times we ever had. It's a shame the neighborhood is currently filled with people I'd rather not socialize with...

I suppose it wasn't hoity toity enough to be considered a cocktail party.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:19 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,970,587 times
If we were to have a virtual cocktail party here on this forum, what drink would you like me to serve you?

Old 04-13-2010, 03:25 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,970,587 times
BTW, I know how to make a Kangaroo Cocktail, a Rob Roy, a Manhattan, a Margarita, Dacquiris, and Tom Collins. Oh and a couple of different foo-foo martinis.

I don't know what's involved with Sex On A Beach. (Don't tell my husband! )

I can make Hot Buttered Rum but it's pretty bad. We also have wine, beer, juice. So what can I serve you?

Old 04-13-2010, 03:49 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,463,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
If we were to have a virtual cocktail party here on this forum, what drink would you like me to serve you?

I'll take a Long Island Iced Tea please.

It only takes 2 to make an awesome 'cocktail' party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics