Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 07:14 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,636,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I seem to buy an item and a day or so later it goes on sale!
Yes, this happens to me, also!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 07:17 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,715,860 times
How dare they mislead me! That's how riots start.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:42 AM

7,965 posts, read 11,775,075 times
It's so funny.....I'm with you ALL on this one. Sometimes I get so ticked off...especially if I head out early, the first day of the sale and was really looking forward to picking "it" up. Sometimes, I look at it as fate....not supposed to spend the money on it right now. There are some stores though that I KNOW does it on purpose, just to bait you into coming into the store. What they heck, you're already there, might as well pick up some other things while you're there. A couple of those stores don't have the power to bait me anymore though. In those instances, I just say.....yeah, well, it won't be there anyway, think I'll just stop at a store where I know I'll save money on EVERYTHING!

Shared pet peeve?....hehe...yeah, when I buy stuff I need and the sale paper comes out the next day.....40% off what I JUST paid! grrrrr LOL

Old 04-01-2010, 08:38 AM

54,511 posts, read 33,979,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Something you've wanted goes on sale at a great price. You get to the store at opening time, first day of sale and lo and behold they sold out!
There's always.. yard/garage sales..

Actually when an item goes on sale but the store is out of stock, many stores will order the item and you'll be able to get it at the sale price.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:39 AM

11,864 posts, read 11,085,922 times
Quote:
Something you've wanted goes on sale at a great price. You get to the store at opening time, first day of sale and lo and behold they sold out!
Now that wouldn't have been pretty. PO'd doesn't even describe what I'd be and as far as I'm concerned if they were advertising the product, I was there "at opening time, the first day of the sale and they're sold out?" False advertising and that's something that is a huge peeve of mine. Me being, well me, I would have probably raised holy cain and told the store manager "either I get this item at the price you advertised it at and one that I was here to buy the very second you opened so no way you're 'sold out' or I'm not only going to call your regional manager and file a complaint against you personally, but my attorney will be calling your legal department."

Now - I WOULD NOT have taken it that far (attorney calling legal department, though I would have filed a complaint including with the BBB) but many, many, many years ago I did work in retail management and one thing the company did not want was bad publicity or people causing a stink. 10-1 by the time I finished with them, the item would either magically appear out of the back room, the manager would have called another store (if a chain) to locate the item or I would have received a rain check with a written guarantee that I could pick up the item in X days at the advertised price. I remember all too well almost getting trampled to death by women when we had a sale and I would open the front security gate to let them in But if we advertised certain items were on sale, then they were on the shelves or racks ready for the ensuing fights over 'it's mine - no it's mine'

Maybe that's why I don't like to shop now.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:24 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,619,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
Yes, this happens to me, also!!!
This happened to us with a X-mas tree purchase after the season at Walmart...they wouldn't give us the new price. We fixed their red wagon by returning it to a different Walmart and then repurchasing it at the lower price.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:39 AM

27,497 posts, read 27,521,349 times
Car dealerships are known for that , they put an ad out for a car, special price....but then if you dont read the fine print, youre in for a disappointment. They only have THAT car with THAT VIN number for that price. "...But let me help you find a car like that, one that youre gonna really love..." (but I wont tell you what the price on it will be).
I cant speak for all the Lowes stores but do know at our store when we put an ad out and run out of the product, we will look on the computer to see if our next closest store still has anymore, and if not, we will order more and honor the sale price when they come in.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:48 AM

54,511 posts, read 33,979,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 115db View Post
Car dealerships are known for that , they put an ad out for a car, special price....but then if you dont read the fine print, youre in for a disappointment. They only have THAT car with THAT VIN number for that price. "...But let me help you find a car like that, one that youre gonna really love..." (but I wont tell you what the price on it will be).
I've seen tactics like that too, they lure you in then they try to sell you another vehicle that's much more expensive and make it sound like it's much easier to drive out of the dealership with a new or used vehicle you weren't looking for. The way I've dealt with dealers like that in the past was to tell them that I wanted a vehicle with a manual transmission, and a combination of other options that are hard to find in one vehicle, and they won't have. When I bought my Nissan SUV in 2001 (I bought it new) that was what I wanted, and I was lucky to find one with the luxury options, and the 5-speed manual transmission.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:51 AM

44,753 posts, read 62,104,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 115db View Post
I cant speak for all the Lowes stores but do know at our store when we put an ad out and run out of the product, we will look on the computer to see if our next closest store still has anymore, and if not, we will order more and honor the sale price when they come in.
Great peeve. Happens daily to sucker you in. Car dealers, ugh.

Most sales, in the ad somewhere, where you need a magnifying glass, usually say limited supply, 1st 3 customers, stock on hand, etc etc. They alway's have a legal disclaimer, if not you got them by the you know what.

In many states if they don't have a disclaimer then by law they need to give a raincheck or offer you an equivalent item at the same price.

And lastly you can scream and yell and make a commotion, so they'll give you something to keep you quiet, or throw you out the store.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:55 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,297,589 times
Quote:
Reel 'em in, reel 'em in. Take off the bait, and toss them out!
That's how I feel sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics