Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 07:17 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,852,797 times

Advertisements

Robinhood, I would be in worse shape than you. I'm traumatized just by reading your story!!

Don't ever step on one of them in your house- the babies scatter everywhere! (Been there, done that!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 08:13 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,222,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkjetsfan74 View Post
im not afraid of spiders, but i still hate to see them crawling around my house. i love taking out the vacuum and suck them up, cause its alot less messy than smacking them with rolled up newspaper
I couldn't suck it up in my vacuum because I would live in fear of the thing crawling out of the bag and delivering its retribution on me. Ick...... I am going to have nightmares tonight of giant spiders.

Robinwood I feel your pain. Two weeks ago I went to move a bag from the floor and a spider (don't know what kind and don't care) that was as big as a 50 cent piece or larger crawled out from under it. I was on top of the bed screaming like a banshee for my husband to come kill it. He just looked at me like I was nuts. (He did kill it though) To me a good spider in the house is a dead spider.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:42 AM

13,905 posts, read 3,386,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I wish you didn't go out and kill it. It had it's babies on its back. That's sad.
I don't why people are taught whenever they see a bug they have to kill it. You don't have to do that. You could have just let it go on it's merry way and you probably would have never seen it again. They never stay in the same place too long.
I have to agree with you PinkString. I personaly am allergic to spider bites and each time I am bitten I have to have med packs to reduce the horrible swelling and itch. However, I do not kill spiders when I see them, I just try to avoid them We have an agreement, spiders and I, if you stay over there, I won't kill you. It seems to work pretty well.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:09 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,681,346 times
The spider was outdoors where she belongs, why would you kill her?

Old 06-01-2007, 09:15 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,300,354 times
I'm not scared of spiders, but a lot of people I know are, even "little", household type spiders. And, I'm sorry, but if I saw a tarantula, I'd have had a heart attack and died right then and there, but not until I had somebody else stomp on it for an hour. eeeeeuuuuuu!

Old 06-01-2007, 12:07 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,823,263 times
With the exception of poisonous spiders in an area where you are spending time, or being highly allergic to bites, they should be left alone.

What most people don't realize is that spiders eat those nasty bugs you really don't want around.

As long as I don't have an infestation I welcome them in my home, as does my wife.

I can't believe you killed that spider and it's babies. Gotta wonder what nasty is going to be running around your yard that they might have eaten...

Old 06-01-2007, 12:17 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,253,591 times
Something that big deserves to be stuffed and mounted. 30-06 oughta do the trick. But be careful to make it a head shot, you don't wanna **** off a big mama like that. She might have friends (or God help us, local offspring).

Have you considered calling the Gambino family and taking out a contract for a hit? They might take it off of your hands and putting it into someone's bed for a revenge thing. The Mafia might actually pay bounties for things like this. Speaking of which, doesn't the state of Texas (3rd largest state, by the way, after we slice Alaska in half) have a bounty on things like this? If they don't, why not?

Old 06-01-2007, 01:05 PM

485 posts, read 1,650,915 times
Well, I do apologize to all of the tarantula lovers out there. Actually I didn't kill it, my husband did. Perhaps I should have asked it in for a soft drink and some cookies. I have to say the reason my husband killed it was because it was bigger than my youngest daughter's foot and she refused to go back outside until he killed it. There are still plenty of spiders outside to take care of those nasty things you speak of. I would rather my children be outside getting excercise and sun than stay huddled in the house to preserve the life of a monster tarantula and her babies.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:58 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,823,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
Well, I do apologize to all of the tarantula lovers out there. Actually I didn't kill it, my husband did. Perhaps I should have asked it in for a soft drink and some cookies. I have to say the reason my husband killed it was because it was bigger than my youngest daughter's foot and she refused to go back outside until he killed it. There are still plenty of spiders outside to take care of those nasty things you speak of. I would rather my children be outside getting excercise and sun than stay huddled in the house to preserve the life of a monster tarantula and her babies.
Good point. I can't argue with it. Priorities are what they should be.

Actually the soft drink and cookies wouldn't be acceptable. They prefer the liquidized guts of other insects. Mmmmmmm, nummy!

Old 06-01-2007, 02:32 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,760,611 times
well personally I like spiders, but the last time i let one crawl across the floor, I had two kids and my wife up half the night and the kids in between us, so I pick a good nights sleep over the spider, but when they arent around, I just put it outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics