Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 06:39 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,513,817 times

Advertisements

Today's Question(s):

When you were in school and would have a substitute teacher,were there any "pranks" the class would try and pull ?
Usually not. In our small community, many of the teachers were parents of someone in the classroom. If they were gone for some reason, the sub was probably the parent of a different classmate. Or they were a neighbor, or went to the same church, or were a classmate of your parents, or were a former teacher of your parents, or (you get the idea). We very seldom had a substitute who didn't already know nearly everyone in the room. Come to think of it, it wasn't all that often that we had a sub. Could have something to do with the stress level was lower so the immune systems worked better?

Bonus Question:

Do any of our QOTD family have Wind-chimes in or around their home?
We have some hanging by the front door. They were a gift and have a really beautiful sound. Many times the paper carrier will give them a ring to let us know the paper is here (if it isn't windy. I think he likes the sound of them.)

Extra Credit Question:

In your area of the country is the custom/tradition to give a gift or money as wedding present ?
It is usually a gift. Half the fun around here is to go and pick out something that you feel the couple will like. Heck, DW can tell me who gave us which casserole and who gave us the mixing bowl set, and that was 37 years ago. Back then the gifts were usually opened at the wedding reception so the guests could see the look on your face when you opened their gift and you could personally thank the giver before you wrote the thank you notes.

Have a wonderful week everyone! It is going to be great. I can feel it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 06:40 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,575,265 times
Today's Question(s):

When you were in school and would have a substitute teacher,were there any "pranks" the class would try and pull ? I was more of an eye witness instead of a participant. This will take up some space but I gotta tell a good one I saw my freshman year. Our sub was on the "large" size. Had trouble getting up the stairs to the third floor classroom. During the middle of class, Gary, sitting by the door, slipped into the hallway when Mrs. Stolls wasn't looking, went outside and let out a whistle to signal Mike, sitting by the window. Mike jumps up, looks out the window, and yells "GARY JUST JUMPED OUT THE WINDOW!" Mrs. Stolls went and looked out the window and saw Gary, all sprawled out on the concrete below, face down. She turned white as a sheet and went huffing and puffing out the door and down the steps. Mike leans out the window to signal Gary, who slips back up the the classroom by the steps on the other side of the building. He sits at his desk and goes back to doing his work. About 5 minutes later Mrs. Stolls comes back up, all out of breath and stops dead in her tracks seeing Gary in his seat. She went back to her desk and never took her eyes off Gary and Mike for the rest of the class. Needless to say, guess what two students were in the principal's office the next morning?

Bonus Question:

Do any of our QOTD family have Wind-chimes in or around their home? I did till hurricane Ike blew through here last year and tangled them all up.

Extra Credit Question:

In your area of the country is the custom/tradition to give a gift or money as wedding present ? Don't know if it's a tradition, just a heck of a lot easier than trying to figure out what to get them! lol

Old 02-01-2010, 06:41 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,331,577 times
Good morning!

Today's Question(s):

When you were in school and would have a substitute teacher,were there any "pranks" the class would try and pull ? No, I always was in a very nice class. But at the beginning of my career I was a substitute teacher myself, and many classes were not nice at all. It's just the attitude, the way they look at you and talk to you, like you stole the "real" teacher's place. Fortunately, not all classes were like that, but it can be rough.

Bonus Question:

Do any of our QOTD family have Wind-chimes in or around their home? Not us. I must say they would quickly get on my nerves.

Extra Credit Question:

In your area of the country is the custom/tradition to give a gift or money as wedding present ? Yes. And actually, since we had "everything" when we got married, we told people we prefered money to presents so that we could pay for our honeymoon.

February is:
Flower of the Month - Primrose and Violets
Birthstone of the Month - Amethyst
Celebration of Chocolate Month
National Fiber Focus Month
National Grapefruit Month
Library Lover's Month
National Snack Food Month
Return Shopping Carts to the Supermarket Month

Today is :
Shape Up With Pickles Time
National Baked Alaska Day
Hula in The Coola Day
Bubble Gum Day
Robinson Crusoe Day

Have a great day and a wonderful week!

Old 02-01-2010, 06:44 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,704,613 times
Today's Question(s):

When you were in school and would have a substitute teacher,were there any "pranks" the class would try and pull ?

Bonus Question:

Do any of our QOTD family have Wind-chimes in or around their home? Yes

Extra Credit Question:

In your area of the country is the custom/tradition to give a gift or money as wedding present ?
Yes

Today in History:
1790 - Supreme Court convenes for 1st time (New York City)
1898 - 1st auto insurance policy in U.S. issued, by Travelers Insurance Co
1949 - RCA releases 1st single record ever (45 rpm)
1964 - Indiana tries to ban "Louie Louie" for obscenity
1972 - 1st scientific hand-held calculator, the HP-35, introduced for $395
1982 - "Late Night With David Letterman," debuts on NBC-TV

Word of the Day:

mondegreen \MON-di-green\ , noun;
1. A word or phrase resulting from a misinterpretation of a word or phrase that has been heard.

February is:
Flower of the Month - Primrose and Violets
Birthstone of the Month - Amethyst
Celebration of Chocolate Month
National Fiber Focus Month
National Grapefruit Month
Library Lover's Month
National Snack Food Month
Return Shopping Carts to the Supermarket Month

Today is :

Shape Up With Pickles Time
National Baked Alaska Day
Hula in The Coola Day
Bubble Gum Day
Robinson Crusoe Day

Old 02-01-2010, 06:49 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,012,486 times
Today's Question(s):

It was pretty hard to get away with much. Usually the sub was related to someone in the class. There was one time in 8th grade we had a sub that did not know anyone in the class. She made a big deal out of how we were to only go by our proper first names. Everytime she would call on me, she would call me William. My legal first name is actually Bill so I would ignore her. When she got tired of me ignoring her she said "William go to the principals office." I just sat there and continued to ignore her. She finally sent someone to go get the principal. He was about to suspend me until I suggested he check my records and see what my proper first name was. That sub never called on me in class ever again.

Bonus Question:

No wind-chimes here. I despise wind-chimes.

Extra Credit Question:

Not sure. Have onle ever been to one wedding and that was 35 years ago. I gave a gift.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:50 AM

48,209 posts, read 22,035,304 times
Today's Question(s):

Substitute teachers always heard that the regular teacher never assigned home work, or always let them talk etc etc etc. I don't think anyone was fooled. There wasnt anything particularly clever.....one set of identicle twins swapped identities ...but the teacher caught on that something was up because of the snickering.
Bonus Question:

When I lived in a densely settled area of California.....I thought outdoor chimes were intrusive to neighbors....we were so close.....But now in Maine....I do have two chimes on the front porch. One is a triangular gong style that sounds like a buoy; it takes a stiff wind to make that one sound. The other is a melodic chime more like the timpani section in the orchestra.
Extra Credit Question:

That is very much the custom of my Japanese partner.....cash gifts for most occasions. He never understands why I select presents....."they might not like what you select....let them pick out their own gift...they know what they want or need."

I have not experienced anyone except close family giving cash for a wedding gift. I would be a bit put off it I was told the couple would prefer cash. I don't mind a wedding registry..but to ask for cash seems "cold" to me.

Last edited by elston; 02-01-2010 at 07:02 AM..

Old 02-01-2010, 06:59 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,734,283 times
Today's Question(s):

No, no pranks. I believe I went to school when there was still at least a bit of respect for teachers, even substitutes. At worst, there'd just be some 'attitude' from some of the rebellious kids (not me!). But not too much. In my day, being sent to the principal's office still caused quite a bit of dread.

Bonus Question:

Oh God no! Not here in Perth. It's supposed to be the 3rd windiest city in the world. Wind chimes would cause noise complaints for about the 10 minutes they'd be hanging before the wind would rip them down and send them clattering to some far corner. You'd have to hang them up with industrial strength cable. Except then you'd never get any sleep. The wind is worst at night.

Extra Credit Question:

In your area of the country is the custom/tradition to give a gift or money as wedding present ? Depending on the cultural background of the wedding party. Europeans - money. Asians - money. Which might not seem as thoughtful, but it's definitely practical. Saves having to return gifts. And some gifts you can't return or the giver might feel insulted if they visit your house and find their gift nowhere to be seen. I had an aunt like that. She had the worst taste in everything. And she ignored bridal registries.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:59 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,889,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Today's Question(s):

I went to a Catholic Elem. School....so the sub was usually another nun. No pranks, believe me!

LOL.. I went to a Catholic elementery school too, and our teachers were nuns and priests, no pranks here either. About the only mischievous thing I did was I threw a paper airplane in class, and I got sent to the principle's office for that!

Old 02-01-2010, 07:00 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,913,740 times

Today's Question(s):

When you were in school and would have a substitute teacher,were there any "pranks" the class would try and pull ? ~ NEVER the substitute teachers were smarter then the class and knew what was a prank. Also I think the kids were more respectful and didn’t even try to get away with things like pranks on teachers. We normally did pranks to each other.

Bonus Question:

Do any of our QOTD family have Wind-chimes in or around their home? ~ Yes,, I’ve got some outside on the tree limb now.

Extra Credit Question:

In your area of the country is the custom/tradition to give a gift or money as wedding present ? ~ Yes,,, it’s always expectable to give gifts or money. They even have a dollar dance with the bride and pin all the bills to her dress.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:12 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,734,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
LOL.. I went to a Catholic elementery school too, and our teachers were nuns and priests, no pranks here either. About the only mischievous thing I did was I threw a paper airplane in class, and I got sent to the principle's office for that!
Naughty boy!

In my Catholic elementary school I'd have got a couple of whacks from the nun teacher first (they all carried big sticks ... and used them!), then sent to Mother Superior's office for another couple of whacks. She also carried a big stick, and used it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics