Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you want to live?
Live in the country and love it 16 36.36%
Live in the country and want to move to a more populated area 5 11.36%
Live in the city or suburbs and love it 16 36.36%
Live in the city or suburbs and want to move to a less populated area 7 15.91%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 06:40 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times

Advertisements

Country mouse by far!! At this stage of my life all I want is "peace and quiet" and that I have out here in the boonies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 09:20 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
I love the country and the wide open spaces but I also like a little civilization at times. I don't like big cities but when I am in the country I miss newspaper delivery and pizza delivery, lol.

Right now I am able to enjoy both world's. I am in FL now where it is busy and I have close neighbors and when I get tired of everything here I get to go home to my mountain top and peace and quiet.

In my heart I am a country mouse but if I am ever alone or become sick I will most likely want to be closer to a town.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:20 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
I grew up in a city, now live in a suburb, would love to live in the city again. I'm a city person.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:22 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
I'm in a LARGE metro area and by 12/31/2023 have every intention of moving to a town with the population of 1012.

lol that's my retirement date. Hubby says we'll be gone the next day.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:26 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,886,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I live in a city and wouldn't want it any other way. The country is a great place to visit, but I choose not to live there.

Do you like where you live? City/suburbs or country?

I prefer bigger cities or towns. I live in the country too and it's really hard to get a job here (unless you grew up here and people know you for a long time. Those are the ones that seem to get the jobs around here in the town I live in now). It sucks!

I like bigger cities, because they'll hire anybody. And when you go out, you don't see the same face more than twice (I like that a lot). Can't get that here (you see the same people every weekend and it gets boring).

Old 01-19-2010, 10:47 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,866,725 times
City or country - It doesn't matter, it all depends on your own perspective of things.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:14 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,326,170 times
Country mouse at heart. I grew up on a farm so that will always be a part of me. I learned how to drive a tractor before I ever drove a car, slept with the windows open, doors unlocked, roosters, peacocks, guineas whailing when the sun rose, running around with no shoes on!

I love the peace and quiet of the farm but living in the suburbs has made me appreciate convenience! So while I love the country, I have to admit, I've grown to love the burbs for the convenience of stores, doctors, etc.

I would probably be scared to death to sleep in my grandmother's house in the country by myself now.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:43 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,032,916 times
I'm a city mouse and I like it that way. I've lived in the country and it was nice and quiet and peacefull but I prefer being a short drive from the grocery stores and other conveniences/entertainment in the city. I don't like the city to be too large though, I prefer no larger than about 200,000 people or so (hate that big city traffic...LOL).

Old 01-19-2010, 02:08 PM

36,420 posts, read 16,030,417 times
Country Mouse here and love it.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:03 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,866,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
I'm a city mouse and I like it that way. I've lived in the country and it was nice and quiet and peacefull but I prefer being a short drive from the grocery stores and other conveniences/entertainment in the city. I don't like the city to be too large though, I prefer no larger than about 200,000 people or so (hate that big city traffic...LOL).
Dave, big city "traffic" is not the problem, the problem is when traffic moves on a freeway at a very slow pace, or stops, which really should not happen because it should travel at the posted speed limit, which is usually between 55 to 75l MPH. The cause of traffic slow-downs on a freeway is usually people who don't know how to drive. One slow driver way up ahead can slow down everyone else behind them for miles.

I usually catch the tail-end of both rush hours, and for the most part, I don't have had any problems, unless there's an accident on the freeway, which causes some people to slow down to look at the accident, rubberneckers. I don't know why some people want to slow down and look even if the vehicle(s) involved in the accident are not blocking traffic.

I can go on and on with slow traffic, but I won't. Compared to other cities, traffic in Phoenix still moves faster, that's what a lot of people, who moved here from other cities, tell me. In some cases the cities they moved from have less population than Phoenix.

I can't remember exactly what the population in Phoenix was around the time I was born (October of 1956), but I think it was around 400,000. It's now 1.5 million. The entire metro area is 3.4 million, but it's spread out over a very wide area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics