Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Compared to other forums / websites, how does CD compare?
Best site out there for finding Relo type info 32 45.07%
A great site, but I have found better sites 4 5.63%
I like it best for other than Relo reasons 19 26.76%
I really don't like this site 1 1.41%
None of the above 5 7.04%
I will give my answer in the thread 10 14.08%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 05:19 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,671,168 times

Advertisements

I believe troll in Swedish and troll in English mean approximately the same thing - not someone you would want to hang out with or have living in your neighborhood.

I like the smilies too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 05:21 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I found CD using a google search. I've been here in state forums, then general forums for nearly a year. I think it is nearly time for me to rest my weary head, and when I do so, I will also probably decrease my posting here. Although I find some of the folks here really special, I also see a growing negative trend in too many of the threads, something I find discouraging.
Which is exactly why I've dramatically decreased my posting lately. Maybe I was part of the problem- in fact, I'm sure I was- but life is too short and my energy is too valuable to me to give it to anyone who doesn't deserve it. Negativity, hostility, and ignorance just suck. I don't want it in my "real" life and I certainly don't need it in my cyber-life, either.

Besides- the reason I originally came here was to find out information about my new destination city and about moving, etc., and the time for the rubber to meet the road is almost at hand. Until then, I'll be so busy packing and tying up loose ends anyway. Once I move, I'm sure I'll be on here even less than I've been lately.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:49 PM

36,417 posts, read 16,024,816 times
I really don't remember how I found this forum, never had been on any other either. I amy have been doin immigrant demographics on North Carolina or something. But here I am, at first extremely drawn to it, fun, exciting, educational. I never go to my state forum, I always go to new posts. I only participate in topics I have an opinion on or some fun ones.

I think the negativity for me is the repetitiveness of some of the threads and characters. I don't want pure entertainment, I want information I can use and I really feel close (in a virtual sort of way) to many posters here. Some have made me laugh and some have brought me to tears and that's what life is about for me.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:51 PM

36,417 posts, read 16,024,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no signal View Post
He's a troll in real life too. He's been in jail countless times and has a rap sheet a mile long. He has been on probation since god knows when and he has violated it several times. Drug possessions and DWIs and all. He's been unemployed since February and has had to wear an ankle bracelet because he has been under house arrest since April. He's probably gonna get pissed at me for giving out his criminal history on here if he can still read the forums. I dunno what the rules are regarding bans and whether he can still view threads. I don't care though, since I've got 4 inches and 60 LBS on him.
Why would you speak so poorly and badly about your brother. It's one thing to mention his character flaws but to go on and on and on is a bit weird for me. It's not because I haven't known anyone like that!

Old 06-18-2007, 05:53 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,889,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
I like CD (love even, since I spend several hours here every NIGHT) but there is one thing that truly bothers me...

THE SMILEYS!!!!! I am addicted! I am starting to hate them, yet I can't because I cannot stop using them! I even try to use them while writing in RL, or when speaking.
What am I supposed to do??
Sweden -

You're so funny. I like your smileys. They're the artwork accompanying your words. I don't use them often, as I don't want to take the time, but I never mind them & it speaks to someone's playful side.

I'd like to see you trying to use them when speaking. That would be
...VV

Old 06-20-2007, 12:51 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,115,902 times
Glad to hear your are almost where you want to be, mb919; so I am, or at least I am a-hopin!

Take care!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
Which is exactly why I've dramatically decreased my posting lately. Maybe I was part of the problem- in fact, I'm sure I was- but life is too short and my energy is too valuable to me to give it to anyone who doesn't deserve it. Negativity, hostility, and ignorance just suck. I don't want it in my "real" life and I certainly don't need it in my cyber-life, either.

Besides- the reason I originally came here was to find out information about my new destination city and about moving, etc., and the time for the rubber to meet the road is almost at hand. Until then, I'll be so busy packing and tying up loose ends anyway. Once I move, I'm sure I'll be on here even less than I've been lately.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:58 PM
HDL HDL started this thread

3,216 posts, read 6,786,231 times
Thumbs up I think the BEST part of CDF is reading

my own posts over and over again !!! I am absolutely 'hysterical' Lucy Ricardo's got nothin' on me (LOL)!!!

https://www.city-data.com/forum/relat...tml#post916493

https://www.city-data.com/forum/relat...tml#post919662

TOOT your OWN HORN time (TOOT TOOT) !!!

In fact, I think I'll bring out the whole band for this number

The preceding has been a paid advertisement. No animals have been harmed in producing this post .

Last edited by HDL; 06-20-2007 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: Yeah, so what if I shamelessly advertise:-0 Whatcha going to do about it?

Old 06-20-2007, 02:03 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,530,896 times
Now you're just showing off!!!

Old 06-20-2007, 02:07 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,015,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
I know what you mean.
I've *mostly* quit the Political forum for the same reasons.
I found CD when googling for relocation info.
There are some very, very good people here, who offer quite helpful information, a true positive.
However, these folks will often be overshadowed by the strident, shrill flamers who seem to get kicks from making dramatic, combative, frequently misspelled declarations.
It can wear a person down, and life is indeed too short to let people, especially online ones, rent space in your head. Being a moderator overwhelmed me--those mods work hard, y'all.
There is a new wave of people coming in, which brings in new energy, which is nice--when the vibes are positive.
I do wish more people would use the Search button, but that seems to be an issue at many messageboards.
We are still settling in here at our new town, and I hope to get a job at some point, and will not post as much then.
I do not think I need to quit CD cold turkey, but I probably will chill out a bit.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:20 PM
HDL HDL started this thread

3,216 posts, read 6,786,231 times
Red face I needed a laugh and some positive energy

so I brought my own fuzzy dear I can't let all the negativity in RL and on CDF rent space in my head . I recommend reading an HDL post a day to keep the doctor away . Oops, I better get buzzy righting some more (hehehe !!).

https://www.city-data.com/forum/garde...tml#post697485

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
Now you're just showing off!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics