Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 11:35 AM

54,511 posts, read 33,979,136 times

Advertisements

Today in History:
1906 - Karl Nessler demonstrates 1st 'permanent wave' for hair, in London
1906? Did they have hair back then? And all that time I thought they came out in the 1970s.
1952 - "The Complete Book of Etiquette" was first published.
Does it cover etiquette on forums?
1958 - Dr. Ake Senning installs 1st pacemaker in Stockholm
Interesting name for a doctor, Dr. Ake....

Happy 7th anniversary Karla.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 11:51 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,071,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
rofl wait did I put Wednesday instead of Thursday but it now says Thursday

lol see what happens when I get to much sleep

or was it 2 days so far of cake frying my brain

Thank you all for the anniversary wishes

Off to Woodcraft with hubby to look for wood
then to pick up a bottle of vodka to try and make the pineapple vodka I love so much

See you all in a bit
I think you had "other things" on your mind Enjoy your anniversay!!

Old 10-08-2009, 11:53 AM

10,228 posts, read 16,377,005 times
Quote:
You finally crashed 'n' burned, huh?

Today's Question(s)

Do you check the weather report in the morning? Usually night before. I go online or read newspapers in the morning ~ can barely get to work on time as it is.
Do you take an umbrella with you for the afternoon if needed? Yes. And keep an extra at work.
Have you left the house without your rain protection gear thinking "the weather folks are never right" ?
Only to find that yup they were right so Numerous times.
What do you do when you’re caught out of the house and it’s raining? Well, in NYC while crossing Brooklyn Bridge, I had no choice but to keep going and get drenched. No place to hide under, and I did not have an umbrella. It was nasty.

Bonus Question:

Do you know how much air is suppose to be in your tires? Nope. I don't drive. Leave all that up to him.
When was the last time you checked?
Do you look at the tires before you drive off?

Extra Credit Question:
Fall is here and winter is coming!!!

Have you put an extra blanket on the bed yet? I dug out the electric blanket a few weeks ago, but am going to pull out a quilt this wknd. (I like to sleep very warm)
How many have turned on the furnace to get some nighttime heat? We have electric, but have managed to run the heaters for only a few hours for a few days. I held out longer than I usually do.
When was the last time you changed your furnace or A/C system filter? [Cringing.]

Just for Fun:
lol these are mine

Have you ever permed your hair ? Nope, never have.

How many of our ? women wore tube tops ? I had one in the late-70's, although I usually wore it under an open shirt.

Do you wish they would come back in style ? No. Women/girls have gotten bigger and, so, it definitely wouldn't "look" the same.

Last time you played Tag ? Like, 45 years???

Today in History:
1818 - 2 English boxers are 1st to use padded gloves
1971 - John Lennon releases "Imagine" (Still among the best albums)
2002 - On a beach in Grand Caymans I married my best friend

Word of the Day:
titivate \TIT-uh-vayt\ , transitive and intransitive verb:
1. To make decorative additions to; spruce.
intransitive verb:
1. To make oneself smart or spruce.

Today is:
National Fluffernutter Day
Health-Sports Day
Perm Day
Play a Game of Tag Day (Come to think of it, we do play Tag at the office)
Tube Top Day NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

A very special thank you to AksarbeN for saving the day by sending me the ? suggestions
Almost Friday!!!

Old 10-08-2009, 11:54 AM

10,228 posts, read 16,377,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Today in History:
1906? Did they have hair back then? And all that time I thought they came out in the 1970s.
Does it cover etiquette on forums?
Interesting name for a doctor, Dr. Ake....

Happy 7th anniversary Karla.
Need to spread more love around first, Mike. But I love your idea on forum etiquette. We need one!

Old 10-08-2009, 12:25 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,629,317 times
Today's Question(s)

Do you check the weather report in the morning? no
Do you take an umbrella with you for the afternoon if needed? no
Have you left the house without your rain protection gear thinking "the weather folks are never right" ? no rain gear
Only to find that yup they were right so
What do you do when you’re caught out of the house and it’s raining? get wet

Bonus Question:

Do you know how much air is suppose to be in your tires? more than what i have.
When was the last time you checked? about 6 months ago
Do you look at the tires before you drive off? no

Extra Credit Question:

Have you put an extra blanket on the bed yet? yes
How many have turned on the furnace to get some nighttime heat? Me

When was the last time you changed your furnace or A/C system filter?
yesterday

Just for Fun:
lol these are mine

Have you ever permed your hair ? yes

How many of our ? women wore tube tops ? never

Do you wish they would come back in style ? yes, I like to look

Last time you played Tag ? last night, I won!

Old 10-08-2009, 12:35 PM

28,804 posts, read 47,942,462 times
oday's Question(s)

Do you check the weather report in the morning? Depends on my plans for the day

Do you take an umbrella with you for the afternoon if needed? An umbrella? What's a little rain going to do to me? Getting wet is not that bad.

Have you left the house without your rain protection gear thinking "the weather folks are never right" ?
Only to find that yup they were right so Don't use "rain gear" unless I'm with Mrs. Tek, then I carry the umbrella for her.

What do you do when you’re caught out of the house and it’s raining? Enjoy it!!!

Bonus Question:

Do you know how much air is suppose to be in your tires? No, but the sticker on the car door tells me when I do need to know.

When was the last time you checked? Been a while. I always look at the tires to judge the "flatness" at the base, but only check the pressure when one looks too low. The new Sorento has a display on the dash to tell me. How lazy is that?

Do you look at the tires before you drive off? Sometimes. I will before long trips. I will check pressure before long trips.

Don't forget the spare!!!

Extra Credit Question:

Have you put an extra blanket on the bed yet?

Thanks for the reminder. I have to wash the electric blanket and set up the line in the basement to dry it.

How many have turned on the furnace to get some nighttime heat?

No, and it's cold in here! I have a blanket... Okay, edit here. I went to check the thermostat to see how big of a wuss I am and it's 61 in here. Funny that in the summer that would be a little cool. Now it's downright cold. It will be interesting to see if Mrs. Tek kicks the furnace on when she gets back Friday. The rule (hers) is "No heat in the winter so we can afford AC in the summer." This because of her terrible allergies. We have to close up and use AC for a large portion of the summer. I might just have a fire in the fireplace today/tonight.

When was the last time you changed your furnace or A/C system filter?

September. Every three months. Ours is 4" wide and catches a lot of junk.

Just for Fun:

lol these are mine

Have you ever permed your hair ? When I was young. Trying to get it to behave. I had really thick, wavy hair (big waves) and it would not behave. Even the perm was a failure.

How many of our ? women wore tube tops ?

Do you wish they would come back in style ?

Last time you played Tag A very long time ago. I do remember Kick the can when I was a teenager. Also a very long time ago...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Babble

Not too much going on today. Feeling a bit low. Been having some problems so I'm not straying too far from the bathroom.

Got Where to Retire magazine today so I have some city checking to do.

Still researching a new camera and I have settled on the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3. Now all it has to do is pass the "Mrs. Tek" test. If it doesn't then I'm looking again. I am concerned some about the size. We are spoiled because ours is small. Of course it doesn't do much...

This Panasonic takes 1280x720 video at 30 fps. It also zooms while in video mode. It has a mini-HDMI connector so you connect directly to an HDTV. 10 mega pixels and 12x optical zoom.

Problem is no one carries it in stores so I have to order from Amazon. I am taking Mrs. Tek to a local store that carries the Canon SX200 When she gets back from Milwaukee so she can see the size. The two are close to the same size so she can get a feel for it. The biggest difference is the Canon is about 3/16" of an inch thicker front to back. That's quite a bit when talking about a compact camera. I ruled out the SX200 because it doesn't zoom when in video mode.

Enjoy your day.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:38 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,604,732 times
I see I missed it this morning by that much!!!! Cool.. now I'll answer then go back and read!

Today's Question(s)

Do you check the weather report in the morning? Not unless a motorcycle in involved.
Do you take an umbrella with you for the afternoon if needed? I have an umbrella by the front door, one in the car, and one at my desk....hey don't laugh...we have world's longest rainy season...or at least some times it feels like it.
Have you left the house without your rain protection gear thinking "the weather folks are never right" ? Nope....I don't trust them.
What do you do when you’re caught out of the house and it’s raining? Curse the weatherman. And.....get wet!
Bonus Question:

Do you know how much air is suppose to be in your tires? 32 lbs
When was the last time you checked? two weeks ago
Do you look at the tires before you drive off? Not since getting the new tires.

Extra Credit Question:

Have you put an extra blanket on the bed yet? No..we're having record heat right now. Maybe January!
How many have turned on the furnace to get some nighttime heat? Right now, God has the heat on......
When was the last time you changed your furnace or A/C system filter? Last Sunday....

Just for Fun:
lol these are mine

Have you ever permed your hair ? Yes, but not in 20 years.

How many of our ? women wore tube tops ? I have...I was asked to put something else on.....
Do you wish they would come back in style ? No

Last time you played Tag ? 2 months ago with Kali!

Today in History:
1818 - 2 English boxers are 1st to use padded gloves
1971 - John Lennon releases "Imagine"
2002 - On a beach in Grand Caymans I married my best friend -Happy Anniversay Karla!!!

I went to the Southern Women's Show with the Momma...now putting my feet up before the HOG meeting.....TTFN!

Old 10-08-2009, 12:39 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,480,004 times
Today's Question(s)

Do you check the weather report in the morning? No. Southern California doesn't have "weather", we have sunshine 99% of the time, so other than temperature, which also varies little, there's really nothing to check.
Do you take an umbrella with you for the afternoon if needed? It's so rare that it's needed around here, but yes, I do carry an umbrella if necessary. My husband, on the other hand, refuses to even own one.
Have you left the house without your rain protection gear thinking "the weather folks are never right" ? When I lived in St. Louis, we used to say, "If you don't like the weather, just wait 5 minutes," it was so unpredictable.
What do you do when you’re caught out of the house and it’s raining? Get wet.

Bonus Question:

Do you know how much air is supposed to be in your tires? No.
When was the last time you checked? Never. I make my husband do it.
Do you look at the tires before you drive off? No. Not very wise, though. I drove off to work a couple of weeks ago on a flat tire.

Extra Credit Question:

Have you put an extra blanket on the bed yet? Nope.
How many have turned on the furnace to get some nighttime heat? Not for night time heat, but for morning heat, yes.
When was the last time you changed your furnace or A/C system filter? Also hubby's job.

Just for Fun:

lol these are mine

Have you ever permed your hair ? I can't begin to imagine what a perm would do to my naturally curly hair.

How many of our ? women wore tube tops ? I did. All the time. LOVED them!

Do you wish they would come back in style ? Oh hell no! The girls couldn't support one anymore.

Last time you played Tag ? 1969?

Today in History:

2002 - On a beach in Grand Caymans I married my best friend Happy Anniversary, Mr. & Mrs. Karla with a K!!!

And Happy Thursday, everyone!

Old 10-08-2009, 12:45 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,075,818 times
Today's Question(s)

Do you check the weather report in the morning?
No, if I remember it I will sometimes check it online the day before.
Do you take an umbrella with you for the afternoon if needed? If it might rain, I take it with me.
Oh yeah, this has happened many times...LOL.
What do you do when you’re caught out of the house and it’s raining? Get wet and usually run for the door quickly.

Bonus Question:

Do you know how much air is suppose to be in your tires?
32 psi.
When was the last time you checked? A while, not sure exactly.
Do you look at the tires before you drive off? Yes.

Extra Credit Question:

Have you put an extra blanket on the bed yet?
Yeah, even though it's warm here today it's been cool at night the past week or so.
How many have turned on the furnace to get some nighttime heat?
Haven't turned the furnace on yet. It' supposed to get much colder at night later this week so I may have to soon.
When was the last time you changed your furnace or A/C system filter? About 3 weeks ago

Just for Fun:

lol these are mine

Have you ever permed your hair ?
No, I don't think I would look good with one of those!....LOL.

Last time you played Tag ?
I was a little kid, so a long time ago.

And btw, Happy Anniversary Karla!

Old 10-08-2009, 12:52 PM

28,804 posts, read 47,942,462 times
Quote:
2002 - On a beach in Grand Caymans I married my best friend

Word of the Day:
titivate \TIT-uh-vayt\ , transitive and intransitive verb:
1. To make decorative additions to; spruce.
intransitive verb:
1. To make oneself smart or spruce.
Wow a Happy Birthday and a Happy Anniversary right next to each other!!

I married my best friend in 1972. She's still my best friend. May yours stay the one as long as mine has.

So were you titivated when you married that best friend?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics