Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 08:18 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,916,708 times

Advertisements

Ever had this happen to you? I have belonged to a certain organization for three and half years, and I was approached by another woman in it for my email address (she gets a lot of funny, clever emails and wanted to pass them along). I was happy to give it to her and then I was told point blank,"Don't expect me to read your responses. I can't respond to every one, blah, blah, blah..."

I was shocked, somewhat. I work a full time job, I'm away from my house ten and a half hours a day. I can't access my email from work, so no harm there. I actually have a boyfriend, make meals, clean my apartment, do laundry, watch TV, talk to other friends and relatives on the phone, go shopping, etc. This woman isn't my whole reason for being. I almost laugh, picturing myself, panting by the computer, waiting for her emails... I understand that giving out your email address is an iffy thing, but I don't waste people's time with chain letters or multilevel marketing stuff or religious content.

Also, I wave and smile at this woman when I see her at the meetings. I've tried to be friendly with her in the past, she's somewhat stand-offish. She's tall, in her late forties, and (I have to laugh a bit) she has long hair and still does that hair flippin' thing with her hair that girls did in high school.

I could see maybe if I hung around her a lot and really made an effort to be her friend it might be overkill, but I don't!

Has this ever happened to you? A simple thing that you're enthusiastic about and happy about suddenly turns not so attractive, and almost repulsive. I guess she made this all about her. I think this incident is kind of why I don't have any close friends currently. Just everyday ocurrences with other women leave me kind of exhausted and wondering why they turn out like they do. By the way, I don't respond to every email I get!

Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 08:54 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,929,730 times
Has this ever happened to you? A simple thing that you're enthusiastic about and happy about suddenly turns not so attractive, and almost repulsive.

Sure. Maybe more than I want to admit. Friends, guys, acquintances...those type of things. Some people can be deceiving.

That sounds kind of snotty what that woman was saying but I wouldn't let it get under my skin. I put at it this way, it's her loss.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:04 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,350,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicejb View Post
Has this ever happened to you? A simple thing that you're enthusiastic about and happy about suddenly turns not so attractive, and almost repulsive.

Sure. Maybe more than I want to admit. Friends, guys, acquintances...those type of things. Some people can be deceiving.

Same answer here.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:09 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,929,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
Same answer here.
The thing about that is, those that have let you down, they have that power over you for a quick minute. It's really You (or yourself) that wields power over your well-being. You acknowledge your hurt, you vent/talk while it percolates, it simmers down and you drink it up. Oh, sorry I was thinking of coffee now.

But kiddin aside, yeah you allow yourself the feeling of hurt/disappointment/anger/etc, you vent it out, it simmers down and you let it go.

Now I must have my 3rd cup of coffee....

Old 08-22-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicejb View Post

That sounds kind of snotty what that woman was saying but I wouldn't let it get under my skin. I put at it this way, it's her loss.
But the topic is about conditional email. What's your experience with people giving you their email address?

Old 08-22-2009, 06:28 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,859,480 times
My conditions on emails is if I give you my email address I don't want to recieve jokes, political propaganda, urban legend lies and fabrications ( for which I will research and return to you and anyone else you mass mailed it to the truth ). Speaking of mass mail... don't mass mail my email out to all corners of the world If I wanted my email mass mailed out onto someone spam list I would do it myself. Lastly if I give out my email addy that means I expect you to write me, your friend, a personal note and ask how I am and expect my reply and to read my reply. In otherwords I expect to have a friendly conversation, not just jokes.

Having said that.... apparently people use email as a way to bide time and use the least amount of effort to barely stay in touch with other people. I have a few people at work who "brag" about how many people they have on thier email list. I asked, you actually write all those people? they say 'yes almost daily'... I was amazed until I did more probing and found out they only mass mail (forward) out jokes and crap. Even told them they were lame and all they were doing was a form of legalized spaming. They wanted my email and I just laughed. They think I am being unfriendly and well I guess I am if I don't want to recieve more junk in my emails. I want to actually hear from my friends and learn what is new in there life even if I only hear from them once or twice a year. That is more important then over read jokes/spam.

Yep you can say I have conditional email.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:46 PM

9,892 posts, read 13,929,416 times
I've found you can slow down the "friend" spammers by redirecting jokes etc en masse from one friend spammer to another.

For instance my Dad seems to get a lot of pleasure out of forwarding jokes and funny pics to me. **shrug** It's great to get them but sometimes it's too much, then again I'm happy he's found this little way of keeping in touch even if it's not particularly personal. I also have a girlfriend on the other side of the country with the same affliction......SOOOO I just forward Dad's emails to her and her emails to Dad. Works for me.

Now back to this woman....sounds like a notch in the belt type thing for her. Guess you can only see how it goes and if it becomes annoying go with my reciprocal "spam" approach.

She might just have trouble relating to folks and she's worried about appearing rude because she struggles to be personal.

I have had people give me their email address and make it conditional, then again I seem to get asked for my email address far more than I ask for other people's. Maybe that's what has you looking so appealing cricket? You're a chasee, not a chaser?

Old 08-22-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I've found you can slow down the "friend" spammers by redirecting jokes etc en masse from one friend spammer to another.

For instance my Dad seems to get a lot of pleasure out of forwarding jokes and funny pics to me. **shrug** It's great to get them but sometimes it's too much, then again I'm happy he's found this little way of keeping in touch even if it's not particularly personal. I also have a girlfriend on the other side of the country with the same affliction......SOOOO I just forward Dad's emails to her and her emails to Dad. Works for me.

Now back to this woman....sounds like a notch in the belt type thing for her. Guess you can only see how it goes and if it becomes annoying go with my reciprocal "spam" approach.

She might just have trouble relating to folks and she's worried about appearing rude because she struggles to be personal.

I have had people give me their email address and make it conditional, then again I seem to get asked for my email address far more than I ask for other people's. Maybe that's what has you looking so appealing cricket? You're a chasee, not a chaser?
Good point. I never ask for people's email; I did years ago, and I got the "You might send me a virus" diatribe. People usually ask for mine, and I really haven't had but a few problems: those people were blocked, and then I had an extreme case that necessitated me changing my email address (and it was a woman!).

Thanks for your feedback! Email can be an interesting, yet challenging thing...

Old 08-22-2009, 07:18 PM

43,851 posts, read 51,394,766 times
I have people who send good stuff to my email, and some who send me totally retarded forwards. They mean well....so I'm not bothered by it. I simply avoid opening the ones I don't want to read.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:02 PM

9,892 posts, read 13,929,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
Good point. I never ask for people's email; I did years ago, and I got the "You might send me a virus" diatribe. People usually ask for mine, and I really haven't had but a few problems: those people were blocked, and then I had an extreme case that necessitated me changing my email address (and it was a woman!).
Yeah, I've had a similar problem (also with a woman) myself.
Most of my email contacts know that I am very slow to get back to them and that I usually just read group and forwarded emails and don't generally reply. That tends to make me a little less interesting to the obessive compulsive type sender. I'm happy to give mine out to most people if they ask and I'm equally good at appearing completely uninteresting as an email contact if their behaviour warrants it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
Thanks for your feedback! Email can be an interesting, yet challenging thing...
Sure can! Still it's a great way to keep in touch and to pass information around. I've found it invaluable when organizing group events or holidays with people from other countries. You can just make up your travel documents in word and then forward them along, send links to websites, forward travel/accommodation emails...a whole bunch of really convenient things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics