Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 11:56 AM

8 posts, read 43,531 times

Advertisements

Hi snitins this is Sonya. I am with you in the hug department and even if one does not give a hug, you can always help someone across the street, save an animal, any good deed a day is great. A week ago a bird hit smack into my window at home. I ran outside to the backyard to see what was the noise. There laying on the ground against my wall was a little red bird. He looked so helpless. I quickly went over to it as it yelp, but it could not move, so I went inside my home to get a papertowel to wrap around my hand. As a defense mechanism for my hand :-) I picked up the bird and looked him over. He was not bleeding so that was good news. I then put him on my hanging plant which is hanging on my gazebo. Then I went inside my home, and from there I could see the little bird. I was hoping it's mommy or daddy would come to rescue him. I could hear other birds chirping quickly and loudly, but none were getting close to the hanging plant. After about an hour I went back outside and got close to the little bird...he looked at me....and attempted to fly away. After his second attempt, he was able to fly away. So I guess he just needed that one hour rest and then he was back to normal. As he flew away I could see that his wings were working very well. That entire day I felt so great. I was so glad I was home to help this little bird. Anyhow, I am notorious for helping out anyone or anything, no matter what I am doing at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 10:16 PM

30 posts, read 108,713 times
I LOVE these type of threads!!

Old 04-20-2007, 10:20 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,736,130 times
Default Well jees.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
There's nothing wrong with being nice everyday and going out of your way to help people. If a stranger came up to me and gave me a hug, I'd probably scream RAPE!!!!!!!!
Moderator cut: removed

Come on, lets be at least legal about it all.......

Old 04-20-2007, 10:39 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,836,062 times
Group Hug!

Old 04-20-2007, 11:15 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyagusman View Post
Hi snitins this is Sonya. I am with you in the hug department and even if one does not give a hug, you can always help someone across the street, save an animal, any good deed a day is great. A week ago a bird hit smack into my window at home. I ran outside to the backyard to see what was the noise. There laying on the ground against my wall was a little red bird. He looked so helpless. I quickly went over to it as it yelp, but it could not move, so I went inside my home to get a papertowel to wrap around my hand. As a defense mechanism for my hand :-) I picked up the bird and looked him over. He was not bleeding so that was good news. I then put him on my hanging plant which is hanging on my gazebo. Then I went inside my home, and from there I could see the little bird. I was hoping it's mommy or daddy would come to rescue him. I could hear other birds chirping quickly and loudly, but none were getting close to the hanging plant. After about an hour I went back outside and got close to the little bird...he looked at me....and attempted to fly away. After his second attempt, he was able to fly away. So I guess he just needed that one hour rest and then he was back to normal. As he flew away I could see that his wings were working very well. That entire day I felt so great. I was so glad I was home to help this little bird. Anyhow, I am notorious for helping out anyone or anything, no matter what I am doing at the time.
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
You are a wonderful person & I hope it comes back to you a zillion times!!!!!!!

Old 04-21-2007, 12:01 AM

12,981 posts, read 14,536,965 times
It could be that the one small act of kindness you show to someone might be the only kindness shown them that day. There are so many rude or just indifferent people out there nowadays, it seems, and being nice or friendly really isn't that difficult.

Old 04-21-2007, 12:12 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,217,262 times
Yesterday I went to a fast food drive through and gave the young woman a five. She gave me change for a fifty! When she returned to the window her manager was near her, so I said quietly, so she wouldn't get into trouble "Would you check to see if I gave you a fifty?" Without opening her cash drawer, she said, sort of rude, "Yes, it was a fifty, I checked it with the (money) pen." CAH- CHING! Nothing like a chicken salad sandwich and $45 bucks in change!

If some strange guy came up to give me a hug, I would knee him. One of the reasons I never liked speaking at the Rotary or similar group is that there always seems to be one 80-something year old white guy who insists on a big old bear hug, when you know he is just using that as an excuse to cop a feel. Gives me the creeps. He's the same guy who does it in church under the guise of being friendly. yuk... Guess that would be considered random acts of lechery.

Old 04-21-2007, 12:35 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,553,915 times
Acts of kindness are good, and even better are the ones we do and then keep to ourselves. To tell others is to get credit for it, like "see how wonderful I am", which takes away from the selflessness of it!

Having said that, let me add that I don't hug someone unless I know them very well. I'm only "touchy feely" with close friends and family.

Old 04-21-2007, 06:28 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
and here again lies the difference between the genders, most men will accept a hug from a woman,,,,while on the other hand, most woman would not accept a hug from a stranger.

in a perfect world,,,,more hugs would be acceptable,,,but i can understand,,,many men would try for more of a hug,, with hands on the backs,,perhaps a bit lower,,,or go for a quick grope...or try for a quick kiss..

in the business world,,i use to find myself wanting to give a hug,,,i think the handshake with a woman,,,just seems awkward,,id rather ,,,give her a bear hug,,swing her around a few times,
now, ive seen woman move in,,,give a hug even in the workplace and that seems totally acceptable,, as long as they make the first move..

as far as random acts of kindness,,it is karma,,,what you give, you will get and it makes you feel better!!!

Old 04-21-2007, 07:19 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,459,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
SandyCo[/B];607089]
Having said that, let me add that I don't hug someone unless I know them very well. I'm only "touchy feely" with close friends and family.
Me either. I'm not touchy-feely in real life, but I wanted to support the OP, even if he/she sounded a little out there. It's a better attitude to have than so many others I've seen.

I'm just so freaking tired of people behaving hatefully towards one another. There has to be a better way to do things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics