Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 07:19 PM

19,726 posts, read 10,509,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I dumpster dive for a whole variety of things. If it is in the curb on trash day on my way to work....it is mine! I've gotten picture frames, plant pots, book shelves, toys.....no pride here.
do you allow extra time, every morning, for this activity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 11:07 AM
ECG

42,606 posts, read 2,748,254 times
The very finest piece I have ever found was a Austrian Crystal Chandelier..there were only a few prisms missing which I was able to find and fix myself. I still have it and is really Gorgeous!!

Old 07-08-2009, 11:13 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,924,542 times
cruxan, what's with the looooong titles? lol

Old 07-08-2009, 12:48 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,367,892 times
A friend steered me to a old dump site, I dug up 3 old irons, the kind you sit on the stove to heat, some old log cabin syrup cans that look like a cabin in good shape too, some old bottles and a pedal sewing machine, that was about 30 years ago and I've tried to remember how to find that place and just can't

Old 07-08-2009, 01:05 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,552,856 times
Mine was a piano.

Sadly it wasn't for me....one of those kick yourself moments
My aunt and I were out at a flea market and on the way home we stopped at this old house that said "everything must be sold"

So we stop, go in and here sits this old ugly grand piano. I said to my aunt HERE! You've always wanted a piano take this one.
We asked how much and the guy said $50.00.
So we scrounge up $50. It cost more to ship it home that the original cost!

So she decided that the clean up was too much for her to handle and she sends it to a restorer. Without even taking one layer of paint off, the restorer looks at her and says....How attached are you to this piano? Not being a stupid woman, her alarms in her head went off and claimed that the sentimental value was great. He offered her right then and there $10K. She turned it down, paid him $3K to restore it and found that it's worth over $50K! I can't for the life of me remember what kind it is but we still laugh about her garage sale piano.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:20 PM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,188,676 times
I found an old dump where there use to be an old saloon or beer joint and found all kinds of bottles, jugs and colored glass that much to my surprise ended up being really valuable. Made my day and many more there-after....!

Old 07-08-2009, 02:31 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,746,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I dumpster dive for a whole variety of things. If it is in the curb on trash day on my way to work....it is mine! I've gotten picture frames, plant pots, book shelves, toys.....no pride here.
i went to throw the trash away yesterday at the local bin site and when i got there sure enough i found 2----20 foot chains with lift hooks attached !!! and i was just about to buy some chains for dragging logs onto my saw mill saved me 150$ dollars chiching

Old 02-08-2023, 10:43 AM

3,287 posts, read 1,767,584 times
This thread caught my eye. 45 years ago when I lived out on Long Island NY I found two end tables, both in excellent, unscratched condition on the side of the road in front of someone's house. i pulled over and knocked on their door to check if they were really being discarded. They were, so I grabbed them and still have them. That was my best find. It's amazing what some folk will just throw out. One man's trash really can be a treasure for someone else.

Old 02-08-2023, 08:40 PM

9,736 posts, read 14,290,471 times
I picked up a very nice white wicker flower stand that I use on my front porch.

I love giving stuff away, and put things out on the curb in front of my house, regularly. I've given away chairs, tables, tools, pictures/frames, baskets, a computer monitor, anything that I know I won't use again. My basement and attic are not emptied yet! My stuff doesn't last much more than an hour or two, on the curb. I'd rather give stuff away than to have a yard sale...haul everything out, and bring much of it back inside. If it makes someone happy, I'm happy.

Old 02-08-2023, 09:09 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,619,102 times
Christmas day, we check out apartment block dumpsters, for things that got replaced. Got a nice microwave, touchpad "7" didn/t work. OK. set it for 1:28, no biggie. Free, worked for years.

Trash Amnesty day. Lawn mowers. Record collections. Appliances. $75 shoes. Rugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics