Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 05:41 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,523,474 times

Advertisements

Interesting site. Set up a free account and you can leave a note and virtual flowers for you departed loved ones.....

Find A Grave - Millions of Cemetery Records
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 06:17 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,497,140 times
I have been a member of Find a grave, for several years.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:47 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,523,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie View Post
I have been a member of Find a grave, for several years.
I just stumbled across the site while researching my genealogy..... I'm going to have to update their site with more information on my family tree. I'm some what surprised not to find more information

Old 04-25-2009, 09:29 PM

I found out about Find a Grave, when one of their members was driving thru our small town & stopped & asked me how to find our local cemetary......thru conversation I discovered they were asking directions, because they wanted to photograph my son's grave & headstone. Things one never immagines...........
edited to ad:
I joined this group so I could attempt to control the pictures and my son's ''page''. I think anytime someone is wanting to photograph the grave of a young man/woman, who lost his/her life, in a warzone, the least people could do is ask the family, before hand......

Last edited by debey; 04-25-2009 at 10:44 PM.. Reason: edit noted in post

Old 04-25-2009, 09:36 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,429,365 times
I've been a member of Find A Grave for nearly three years and have added more than 15,000 memorials.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:14 PM

821 posts, read 2,011,851 times
member here also
addicted to the site
have taken pictures of all the grave stones and posted most of them on line and some at other graveyards
love getting the requests in my area and going and trying to find the graves to take a picture

Old 04-26-2009, 11:50 AM

1,252 posts, read 2,645,798 times
Tomb it may concern: I own stock in this company and they always have bury good urnings.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:31 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,934,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debey View Post
I joined this group so I could attempt to control the pictures and my son's ''page''. I think anytime someone is wanting to photograph the grave of a young man/woman, who lost his/her life, in a warzone, the least people could do is ask the family, before hand......

May I ask why?

When I was younger, we visited Gettysburg and I didn't need permission from anyone to photograph the grave sites there. And that's no different than where your son may be laid to rest, as the people that are in Gettysburg were the loved ones of someone, who lost their lives in a war zone.

And in reference to how someone passed away... why would a fallen soldier's grave mean more than the grave of someone who, say, lost their son to a drunk driver and therefore require permission to be photographed?

I truly don't mean to be insensitive, and I understand your pain of losing a loved one, but I'm really curious as to why you'd feel people need permission to photograph something in/ on public property.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:55 PM

I did not mean to put my son, or his death ''on a pedistal''. I appologize, to anyone I may have insulted. Normally, his death is something I DO NOT post about, on this forum. I let my guard down, last night...

Old 04-26-2009, 03:16 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,934,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debey View Post
I did not mean to put my son, or his death ''on a pedistal''. I appologize, to anyone I may have insulted. Normally, his death is something I DO NOT post about, on this forum. I let my guard down, last night...

No.... no need to apologize like that. It was never my intention to make you feel bad! My sincere apologies if it came out that way.

And my post wasn't meant to prevent you from posting about it or talking about it... I really thought there was a reason behind your train of thought and I really wanted to know what it was. Personally, I think the more you talk about it, the better it is. I guess a side note of that would also be the photographing of fallen soldiers as they "come home". I never understood the "no no" factor in that. The coffins are not identifiable and therefore don't infring on the families privacy, but instead, it reminds those of us going about our daily routine that there are people out there who don't know us, but are willing to give their life for us so we can do those daily routines. And I think it serves as a reminder to us.

IMO, if I had known your son, and let's say I lived on the West Coast and he's laid to rest on the East Coast, this website would allow me to pay my respects in a way I otherwise couldn't.

My family and I love your son for the sacrifices he made for us. And we don't take that for granted.

Again, my apologies if it sounded like I was being rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics