Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 10:31 PM

961 posts, read 2,502,359 times

Advertisements

Some food for thought:
1. You will find many who confuse the Seabees w/the SEALS...
2. Don't let "Uncle" make all of your military career moves-you can influence it
3. Married?...It adds a lot of stress(mil. life, deployments, etc..)
4. ...20 years goes by faster than you could possibly realize...way too fast!
5. Enlisting in the military is honorable-ignore the "too good to serve types."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 08:17 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,371,225 times
I wish I could address your question. My interaction with the Seabees was when I was stationed overseas (Foreign Service) at one of our embassies. The host country had been badly hit by a hurricane and the Seabees were called in to assist with the reconstruction of critically affected areas such as bridges, retaining walls etc.

Now to the career part. I was not in the military and therefore can not speak to that part. I do know this, if you are in a specific field, and from my experience working for the federal government, it is hard to break out of a career group (example: admin, economic, political).

This problem is only compounded if you don't have a college degree. Determine where you want to go with your career - where you think your heart is and take advantage of every possible training opportunity and educational opportunity offered and available to you.

I hope this has been helpful to you. Please let me know fi I can be of further assistance. Good luck!!

Old 04-03-2007, 10:37 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,099,432 times
I know of SeaBees! I lived in Oxnard on the beach at Hollywood Beach. I'm sure since you are in Port Hueneme you know of Hollywood Beach. I miss it. We moved away (retired) 2.5 years ago.
My husbands grandfather was a SeaBee and was stationed in Port Hueneme in 1942. Yes 1942!
Well, go to the beach for us and enjoy your weather there in So Cal.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:23 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,441,486 times
Honestly, I'm just finding out from these posts and a little googling what SeaBees are. I'd heard the term but never attached much to it other than the fact it was a military acronym.

So, you're an engineer who works for the Navy? Aren't you allergic to iodine? Does that mean you'll be working inland? I hope they don't send you to Iraq.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:11 AM

283 posts, read 1,193,477 times
Well I truely appreciate everyone's input. Hope to get lots more. Always interesting to see how others feel about your profession. My oh my how time does fly. I still feel like I just signed up yesterday and 2 years have passed since then. Only one since boot but I had to wait a little while to go. I had always had desk jobs and had gotten quite plump.

Tioga, I guess I've been lucky so far I haven't run into very many "too good to serve types". A few that don't really want to be here according to thier off duty activities and conversations but they workhard on our project sites and prefer to be there than sitting around waiting on something to do.

Jhlcomp, I know I really need to be able to select a certain position for a career path but I constantly find myself intertwined with all aspects of the military. So far having just enough knowledge about everything to get into trouble and not enough about any one thing to keep my goals specific. Working on it though, I think I have narrowed it down between political and admin. If I'm not too far off I think I can begin with admin and slowly advance it more toward political.

Roma, I do love going to the beach here but only made the mistake of going into the water without a wet suit once. It was a lot colder than expected and both the Atlnatic and Gulf. I do love the weather here too. Don't think I've ever seen so much sunshine. It has only rained (more of a mist) once since my arrival in July although the fog rolling in during the evening and nights tends to get everything wet occassionally. So I'm out at the beach no less than once a week to boogie board. Funny you mention Hollywood beach because we actually have our morning musters there sometimes for beach log runs just because its so wide and long we can do what we need to and stay out of everyones way.

Ellie, I am actually a builder for the SeaBees because I am able to move up in rank quicker than as an engineer. After moving up to first class or chief I plan to change my rate to engineer or swap over to officer after my first active duty term. Of course that all depends on how well things go for me and what the military needs. Yes I am allergic to iodine and I do have some problems with swelling when I go to the beach but it is only severe if I get cut or ingest it. I always quick an epi close by for just in case. Took me a long time to learn how to control the reactions to it. My first deployment is just out to an island in the Pacific Ocean. Don't think I should post exactlly which one or where it is on here though. My next deployment; however, I stand a good chance of going over to the middle east. Most of my SeaBee friends are either over there now or are flying out to several locations there scattered all over the middle east this and next week. I really lucked out in getting this deployment so I could finish my semester in college. Not sure exactly how much access I will have to internet to complete the classes but I have all the printed documentation and can just enter all but my finals online every weekend. When finals do come around my officer in charge, fire team leader and me will be flying back home for 3 days to take our tests. I have been really pleasantly surprised and impressed by how far the Navy is willing to go out of the way to increase its members knowledge of subjects related to the jobs performed here.

Thanks to everyone once again.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,443 times
Default Stateside – Agent Orange – Davisville/Kingston

I am trying to locate any SeaBee’sthat were stationed at Davisville' Rhode Island between 1960-1981 who never went to Vietnam but have the symptoms of Agent Orange. I am looking into pesticides that have the same chemical composition as Agent Orange. Please e-mail me at [email]cruiseman@live.com"cruiseman@live.com[/email]

Last edited by cruiseman; 06-12-2009 at 08:37 PM.. Reason: can't read

Old 06-12-2009, 08:53 PM

84 posts, read 189,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickleswanson View Post
I had never heard of them until I joined. Want to see how many people have heard of us and what are your opinions of the SeaBees .
I live so close to the base where you are at.

Quote:
I do love going to the beach here but only made the mistake of going into the water without a wet suit once. It was a lot colder than expected and both the Atlnatic and Gulf. I do love the weather here too. Don't think I've ever seen so much sunshine. It has only rained (more of a mist) once since my arrival in July although the fog rolling in during the evening and nights tends to get everything wet occassionally. So I'm out at the beach no less than once a week to boogie board. Funny you mention Hollywood beach because we actually have our morning musters there sometimes for beach log runs just because its so wide and long we can do what we need to and stay out of everyones way.
The beaches here are great. We are having June gloom. But don't worry, the summer weather will start rolling around here. I love going to the beach with my son who just loves the water. I love Ventura County. I can't imagine living anywhere else.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,405 times
Default Seabees are the greatest.

I was with 2 MCB'S (Mobile Construction Battalions) from 1970 thru 1976. MCB 3 AND RESERVE MCB 2. These were some of the best times of my life and wish I would have been smart enough to stay.

Seabees are WELL trained combination of Marine and Construction Workers. I believe that the Seabees are the Original Special Force for the Navy. In WWII they were the UDT ( Underwater Demolition Team) which is now more associated with the Navy Seals.

Seabees do much good for others and deploy much more than other military units. They have been much help in rebuilding after war and natural disasters which make them also humanitarian influence for the United States of America. However, they are well prepared to defend themselves from attack because of their training with Marines. We are not Marines, but Marines and Seabees are close units that support one another.

Port Hueneme is a great home port. Nice beaches, cities and base. If you get over the smell of chicken s--t they use for fertilizer on the near by farms.

Enjoy your time. You'll miss it when your gone.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:12 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,389,029 times
I never heard of them either until moving to Pt Hueneme back in the 70's, there was a base right down the street from where we lived. Later in time I ended up getting a job at the EM Club as a cocktail server.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:51 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,921,080 times
Seabees work hard, and play hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics