Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 07:10 AM

4,951 posts, read 2,544,560 times

Advertisements

I don't really enjoy New Years so I don't do anything special for it.

I do have 3 address books, all of which I use regularly.

I do not collect nickknacks. I do have a whole lot of pictures of my kids all over the house.

Good Morning everyone!!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Enjoy your Saturday!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 07:24 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,690,477 times
Great questions AliceT.

I remember Minnie Pearl. Her name is mentioned when someone forgets to remove a price tag.

I keep a regular phonebook.

We have a lot of figurines from Occupied Japan. I collect dog figurines. We collect Van Briggle pottery.

I hope the whole Hee-Haw gang is having a great week end.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:32 AM

18,270 posts, read 25,987,616 times
ALLRIGHT REDBIRD!! Great cover!! Can't remember if I put it on this forum or the music forum but one of my neighbors answers the phone that way when she is in a good mood, which is often (she's from Chattanooga). Aside from her $1.98 hat, she was an influential member of Nashville's Grand Old Opry. Jerry Clower, Jeff Foxworthy, and others cite her as being a huge influence on their careers. Speaking of her albums, all told Sarah Cannon (Minnie Pearl) put out 6 LP's and a number of 45's as well! Redbird's copy is on the Starday label and it is VERY collectible with Country AND 50's music collectors. Part of the Country Music Hall Of Fame, she encouraged gals like Patsy Cline, Kitty Wells, Loretta Lynn, and plenty more women country singers to stardom. A HUGE figure in Country music's early days! A quick note- if you look closely in the movie "Coal Miner's Daughter", the movie based on the career of Country superstar Loretta Lynn, she makes an appearance in the film, along with Ernest Tubb as they greet Loretta on stage after she performs a song to the crowd. A great movie!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 10-25-2008 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 10-25-2008, 07:54 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,309,894 times
I remembered MP's tag, but had forgotten about How-DEEEE! Thanks for the memory. BTW, nice job of filling in for Karla this week, Alice. Thank you.

I have a little file in our cabinet that has 10,000 little scraps of paper w/addresses on them. Does that count?

DH has a beautiful collection of Lladro figurines. Love them. Plus we collect Santas. The musical Santas stay out year round.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:55 AM

2,947 posts, read 1,679,044 times
The ? of the day is based on the event of 1912.
How many here remember what Minnie Pearl was most famous for? (hint) this is largely a matter of opinion...

I remember Minnie Pearl, her hat and her How Dee My Grandfather watched the Grand ol Oprey every week. Wasn't she also on Hee Haww?

Extra Credit ?
What kind of address book do you have? Is it a regular address book, a calendar, notebook, index cards, something else?

A regular, also on computer and floppy disc. Phone #'s in speed dial.

Bonus ?
Are you a nickknack fanatic? Pictures encouraged.

Not me, I HATE dusting.

M Mike does Charity need to go shopping @ V S or is she to shy to go in person?

Old 10-25-2008, 09:46 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,302,605 times
Minnie Pearl was famous for her price tag on her hat and her HowDeeeeeee.

Address Book,my phone and e-mail.

Knicknack fanatic,naw I'm not too bad just have a few.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:36 AM

34,295 posts, read 20,605,922 times
She is fun-NEEE!
From that album:

"This old feller told me it looks like I washed my face real good and forgot to iron it!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
ALLRIGHT REDBIRD!! Great cover!! Can't remember if I put it on this forum or the music forum but one of my neighbors answers the phone that way when she is in a good mood, which is often (she's from Chattanooga). Aside from her $1.98 hat, she was an influential member of Nashville's Grand Old Opry. Jerry Clower, Jeff Foxworthy, and others cite her as being a huge influence on their careers. Speaking of her albums, all told Sarah Cannon (Minnie Pearl) put out 6 LP's and a number of 45's as well! Redbird's copy is on the Starday label and it is VERY collectible with Country AND 50's music collectors. Part of the Country Music Hall Of Fame, she encouraged gals like Patsy Cline, Kitty Wells, Loretta Lynn, and plenty more women country singers to stardom. A HUGE figure in Country music's early days! A quick note- if you look closely in the movie "Coal Miner's Daughter", the movie based on the career of Country superstar Loretta Lynn, she makes an appearance in the film, along with Ernest Tubb as they greet Loretta on stage after she performs a song to the crowd. A great movie!

Old 10-25-2008, 11:44 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,574,261 times
Ah yes! I go back a ways farther than Minnie Pearl. I remember her well. Thanks for the link, Redbird. I have bookmarked it.

Addresses are in books, and on scraps of paper ( but not 10,000 ,nomoresnow..). I very seldom send letters anymore, and very few cards, so most of my messages are via e-mail.

I have lots of knick knacks, but have almost stopped getting them. A bunch came from the gals in the EHC when I was a member...a lot came from yard sales and auctions, some were from family (the most cherished), and some I sent for. My favorites are the small blown glass ones, and birds. Oh, I almost forgot...the seashell-covered elephant my sis got for me at Eureka Springs on one of her visits.
I guess my vase collection could be called 'knick knacks' too, and my windchime collection!
Yep, they are all real dust catchers, but I stll like them. A few are in nice decorative glass fronted wall cases my husband built for me many years ago. If I had room for it , I would love to have a curved-glass cabinet for a lot of my stuff.

I don't do much on New Years, either in the eve or on the day. I do like to watch the parade...that's about it.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:10 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,145,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
Karla is back but asked me to do the honors today, just in case she sleeps in. And, just in case she doesn't sleep in, I decided to do it really early

October 25 is the 298th day of the year (299th in leap years ). There are 67 days remaining until the end of the year. Do you have your champagne and noisemakers ready for 31 December? Yep! And we're going to DJ a New Year's Eve party with a 1950's diner theme...oughta be fun!

Historically, on 25 October in:
1764 - Abigail Smith married a young lawyer by the name of John Adams
1861 - The Toronto stock Exchange was created.
1864 - John Francis Dodge was born. (automobile pioneer)
1912 - Minnie Pearl was born (singer and comedian) HOOWWDIE! I used to love when she came on HEE-HAW!
1962 - Cuban missile crisis. Adlai Stevenson shows photos at the UN proving Soviet missiles are installed in Cuba.
2001 - Window XP was introduced to the public.

Word for the day is quorum (n)
The minimum number of members required for a group to officially conduct business and to cast binding votes.

The ? of the day is based on the event of 1912.
How many here remember what Minnie Pearl was most famous for? (hint) this is largely a matter of opinion...All I can remember are hats with the tag still on...and her smile and her voice.

Extra Credit ?
What kind of address book do you have? Is it a regular address book, a calendar, notebook, index cards, something else? I have one on my computer and one regular one in my briefcase & another in the hubby's.

Bonus ?
Are you a nickknack fanatic? Pictures encouraged. NOPE!

P.S. Magnum Mike, we do not want to see your collection of Victoria's Secrets catalogs!

have a great rest of the weekend folks...great job alice!

Old 10-25-2008, 12:43 PM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,713,922 times
Howdee, I am just so proud to be here! And don't you like this new hat of mine. You know it is new, because it still has the pricetag hanging right here on it.

I have several address books. Some of the people in them are still alive. I have to cross out names every time I go through one. One for those people I used to work with, one for relatives, one for the people Mr. VA used to work with, one for the people he works with now, one for church people and on and on. So what do I do when I need an address? I google the persons telephone number! That includes my children too, I'm afraid.

It is two months until Christmas and I still have Halloween and Election Day and Veterans Day and Thanksgiving and Birthdays to get through before New Year's Day. Then there will be more birthdays until Easter. Then there will be more birthdays and then Mother's Day and then vacation and then Father's Day and then the Fourth of July. Big families are nice, but they are also expensive. Then I can watch TV all Summer between swimming and then Labor Day and then more birthdays and anniversaries and soon a whole year has gone by again. Wow!

Last edited by NCN; 10-25-2008 at 12:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics