Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 12:41 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,530,896 times

Advertisements

Very well said, AksarbeN, as usual. I just have to say the thought of asking a cashier at our grocery store to run back and get butter for me almost has me rolling on the floor. Oh, and a tip riding on how fast you fetch the ketchup? Hey, don't want those curly fries getting cold-better hustle, there little lady!

The truth is bad manners can be found in ALL age groups. Fortunately, so can good manners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 12:58 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,533,702 times
I was born in 1962. All this time I could have been rude???

Rats!! I guess I have to start making up for lost time.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:16 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,259,466 times
Aksarben, well said, as always.

Kali's G, I'm with you. I was born in '54 and I have 8 more years on you where I couldhave been rude, too. Darn.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:27 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,031,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post
I was born in 1962. All this time I could have been rude???

Rats!! I guess I have to start making up for lost time.
You and me both! I was born in '64. I guess I just need to catch up with all the rudeness I've been missing out on. I have to stop by the gas station on my way home from work tonight. I think I'll start by telling the cashier he better hurry and turn that pump on or else!

Old 10-15-2008, 06:02 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,615,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
I've noticed that the Baby Boomer generation seems to operate with a sense of entitlement. They are "special" and the workers at restaurants and retail establishements are their surfs who must serve them. Often the B.B.s are condesending and rude to the point of almost yelling at the poor college student or struggling waitress. The other day I was eating at a restaurant, sitting at a table next to a B.B., and was unfortunate to hear him ask for ketchup and finish up by barking at her, "Remember, your tip is riding on this."
I've also seen them at my grocery store say condesendingly (barely glancing at the checker), "I've forgotten to grab butter. Go get it for me." Fetch fido! Fetch!
I've been watching out for it now and noticed that THAT particular generation is ruder than any other. People born in the 60s and later are more polite and usually begin requests with, "I'm sorry, could you...." and finish with, "Thank You".
People born before the 40s usually leave it up to the "youngsters" to volunteer. Usually asking in an almost humble way, "My wife sure could use some sugar free syrup..." "I need cheese but its too far away for me to walk right now. My legs are just killing me."
Why do B.B.s feel so entiteled??
I'm not personally attacking the OP o.k............however reading this post makes me think the 20 somethings especially the Males are WEAK physically and emotionally. I constantly see the 20 somethings getting their feelings hurt here on CD and out about in the work force etc....as an example. Someways i can't blame them as i guess i would be too if i sat in front of a computer and played video games and text message all day as they are the Technology Generation ......where as i and other MTV Boomers being raised in the 70's as a kid we didn't have these things so we were physically and mentally tough.

We played basketball and tackle football at the parks. We mowed lawns and washed cars with a rag and bucket and a garden hose. We helped our Dad's work on his station wagon or truck etc... We got in fist fights with each other and then shook hands when it was over. If we acted up in school we got swatted by the assistant principle.

To lable a WHOLE generation ''condensending and rude'' cause some boomer acted like an A-HOLE with a Ketchup bottle makes me roll my eyes and think softness in the young generation.

I think the ''Bad News Bears'' movie with Tatum O'neal is a great example of who we kids were in the 70's and not so soft or feelings getting hurt so easy.

If i sounded rude....well sorry as that wasn't my intent and i think most on City Data know me as a happy go lucky dude .

Old 10-15-2008, 07:51 PM

641 posts, read 2,370,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
I'm not personally attacking the OP o.k............however reading this post makes me think the 20 somethings especially the Males are WEAK physically and emotionally. I constantly see the 20 somethings getting their feelings hurt here on CD and out about in the work force etc....as an example. Someways i can't blame them as i guess i would be too if i sat in front of a computer and played video games and text message all day as they are the Technology Generation ......where as i and other MTV Boomers being raised in the 70's as a kid we didn't have these things so we were physically and mentally tough.

We played basketball and tackle football at the parks. We mowed lawns and washed cars with a rag and bucket and a garden hose. We helped our Dad's work on his station wagon or truck etc... We got in fist fights with each other and then shook hands when it was over. If we acted up in school we got swatted by the assistant principle.

To lable a WHOLE generation ''condensending and rude'' cause some boomer acted like an A-HOLE with a Ketchup bottle makes me roll my eyes and think softness in the young generation.

I think the ''Bad News Bears'' movie with Tatum O'neal is a great example of who we kids were in the 70's and not so soft or feelings getting hurt so easy.

If i sounded rude....well sorry as that wasn't my intent and i think most on City Data know me as a happy go lucky dude .
Stereotype. I'm a 20 something male and I'm not weak emotionally or physically. I'll whoop yo ass.

j/k

Old 10-15-2008, 08:20 PM

433 posts, read 2,356,101 times
Well, we're all going to find out who's "weak" or "entitled" in the next few years with what the economy is likely to dish up to us.

This Baby Boomer really had no choice but the military in the mid 70s because the economy was so bad back then. We may see that situation again soon for the young people. You learn to survive with hard times. That thing never changes for all age groups and generations.

And perhaps we're all a little spoiled now...

Old 10-15-2008, 08:38 PM

2,947 posts, read 1,675,326 times
A baby boomer here. And I was raised to say, please, thank you, excuse me or pardon me. Also to treat others as I would have them treat me. I STILL hold doors open for any age group to enter a door before myself. I do not bark at anyone my parents did not raise a dog. As a matter of fact, I have hugged young peope that have been polite and conversational at a resteraunt and even at the grocery store. So please do not label any group of people due to a few sour grapes. Besides isn't that a way of being predudice? And that in itself is not a very complimentary thing to be labled either.
I've been out to dinner and have heard a younger person tell a wait staff person to go F... themself. I will not classify all younger people into a group or sub group due to that.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:49 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,615,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal rooster View Post
Stereotype. I'm a 20 something male and I'm not weak emotionally or physically. I'll whoop yo ass.

j/k
I like that answer Nocturnal Rooster .

Now can you do hard physical laborius work?? We need the 20 somethings in the Buildings Trades industry nationwide as 70% to 80% of us in the trades are Boomers as we can't find 20 somethings in large numbers to do these kind of trades and hard physical labor. All i see is mostly 40 or 50 somethings doing this and if the 20 somethings had this interest they could make a killing in salary after a couple of years as a Journeman but sadly we struggle to find young 20 something males to do HARD physical work and sadly they are being replaced by foreign workers.

Are there lazy Boomers that are demanding handouts....yes .....and when i see most of the ''will work for food'' Boomer transit's wanting a handout or longing at the parks all day and i always yell at them to get a job and earn their keep like the rest of us. But to say all boomers demand handouts and/or because of a Boomer Jerk with a Ketchup bottle acted like an idiot means all Boomers are arrogant etc.. is way off base.

6/3

Old 10-15-2008, 09:13 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,263,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
It’s a little obvious that some people tend to paint with a broad brush when it comes to discrimination (of any type). I’ve noticed there are problems with any generation, any race, any sex, any place in the country, but when I allow myself to get a better view of what I’m looking at ~ there really isn’t a problem, just people who are behaving badly at times, or others who are behaving very well. I was very impressed with the youth when I recently went to a high school graduation and meet so many wonderful well educated well mannered kids ~ before I attended that, I thought most kids just were gang members who caused trouble. You have to look for what you want to see! Great kids who are going to change the world and make it a better place was all I noticed.

Baby-boomers entitlement – I don’t see it and I live in an area that have many seniors from all over the country who have relocated here.

Foreverking

I seem to find that many elderly people “volunteer”. They are the ones who work the polls on election day, they are the ones who spend time with the sick in the hospital pushing carts with books and magazines to rooms for the patients. I’m a baby-boomer and I’m volunteering for several different areas of need by the community, I’m one of many who spend their extra free time giving it back to others who are too busy to do the things in society that need attention.

If you have heard or seen an elderly who is complaining about their pain,,,,, maybe they hurt more then you know. It’s natural that the body as it gets older becomes more painful for the person. Let’s not be so critical of others who may have personal issues of their own that they deal with each day of their lives.

I’m sure that you may have seen or heard “rude” people in restaurants or stores, but not all of them are elderly, rudeness comes in all age groups, social groups, sexes, and areas of the country; it’s just poor manners and their upbringing. As a baby-boomer on limited income I always tip 20% and never have a bad comment for a waiter/waitress. I’m not alone in this b-b group there are many who do the same.

And finally I will close with saying that the most rude act I’ve ever seen in a restaurant was when I spend time with my parents enjoying a meal when a younger man (in his late 20’s or early 30’s) with his family came over to our table are started an argument with my 85 year old father about his 83 year old wife and how loud she spoke at our table. The strange man didn’t even notice nor care to understand that mom was deaf in one ear and extremely hearing impaired in the other ear ~ even with using a hearing aid. He continued to argue with my father and wouldn’t listen to anything that was being said. He (a 25-30 year old) couldn’t have been more out of place with comments and rudeness! However I don’t group all young family parents into a category of poor behavior as it appears in your post depicts of baby-boomers. Again,,,, rudeness can be found among all people in our society, I’m sorry that you’re failure to observe others may be limited.
I never said Baby Boomers were elderly. Though they are "getting up there", they arent decrepit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics