Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 03:10 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,648,987 times

Advertisements

TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) — A Michigan man was sentenced to 43 years in prison Friday for driving the wrong way on an interstate and slamming his pickup into a minivan, killing a Maryland mother and four children who were returning home from a Christmas trip. Michael Gagnon of Adrian, Mich., had a blood-alcohol level more than twice the legal limit and marijuana in his system, authorities said.

Drunken driver gets 43 years for killing mom, kids - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 04:39 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,654,115 times
This might not go down too well but it's my opinion so I'll say it anyway.

I think 43 years is totally ridiculous. We've all done stupid things in our lives and it's very sad that this stupid thing resulted in the deaths of five people, however he didn't go out with the intention of killing people and, although he was somewhat lax in the sense department, he isn't a bad person. A very silly person who's stupidity led to a tragedy but not a bad person. He is clearly suffering as a result of it, he pleaded no-contest to all the charges and admitted his guilt without hesitation. I feel terrible for the people who died and their family and friends but throwing someone in the slammer for a moment of madness isn't going to bring them back or make anything better. He's being treated like a murderer when all he really is is a person who made a very bad error of judgement which resulted in a tragedy.

Just my 2c.

R.I.P. to those who died.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:20 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,400,594 times
Sorry Will, usually I agree with you but not this time ! I think what he did is just as bad as murder. He may not have planned it, but he did do it. I'm glad he's going to prison, he should get life. That way he won't have the oppurtunity to make more bad decisions that may cost people their lives. He's probably a repeat offender and just never been caught before. I just don't have pity for people who drink and choose to drive when they know it can result in someone's death ! He killed four kids !!!

Old 06-27-2008, 05:44 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,463,791 times
I hope he serves every last day and it sets a precedent for more strict sentences when inconsiderate self absorbed SOBs take life so casually as to drink and drive. I have NO PROBLEM if these people want to kill themselves, I will load the gun for you but don't take others with you or worse yet, drink, drive and kill others and have the nerve to walk away unharmed.

Why do I feel strongly?

When I worked as a dispatcher, while I was fresh out of training, we had an accident like this. The drunk walked, staggered away. I kept having to send out more body bags because the ambulance at the scene didn't have enough for the husband, the wife and all their kids that the drunk mowed over. ON many nights I was bored in the office and wished I could ride along with the officers as I did on occasion. That was one night I was glad to NOT be in the cruiser.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:45 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,889,311 times
Forty-three years in prison is an appropriate sentence for Gagnon, but no matter how much time he serves in prison, that will not repay for the tragic loss he caused for the husband, and family of Bethany Griffin, and their 4 children.

It's also ironic, that many times we hear of tragedies like this, drivers who were under the influence, and caused such accidents, often survive with only minor injuries.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:02 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,905,841 times
He deserved what he got.

Here in Australia he probably would've gotten only 10 years

Old 06-27-2008, 07:47 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,463,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Forty-three years in prison is an appropriate sentence for Gagnon, but no matter how much time he serves in prison, that will not repay for the tragic loss he caused for the husband, and family of Bethany Griffin, and their 4 children.

It's also ironic, that many times we hear of tragedies like this, drivers who were under the influence, and caused such accidents, often survive with only minor injuries.
They used to say it was because they were so relaxed from the alcohol that they survived. Kind of seems sick because of the irony. The alcohol is what kills the people in the other car but what saves the drunk.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:44 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,303,693 times
The drunk got off easy. In countries like Ecuador, he would have been executed.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:32 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,889,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
They used to say it was because they were so relaxed from the alcohol that they survived. Kind of seems sick because of the irony. The alcohol is what kills the people in the other car but what saves the drunk.
Well, it doesn't look like he'll be able to "relax" too much in prison after knowing that his irresponsible behavior caused the death of 5 innocent people. If he has any conscience, I can't even imagine what it would be like having to live with that guilt for the rest of his life.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:41 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,581,696 times
He deserves lethal injection.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics