Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2007, 10:45 AM

409 posts, read 1,237,015 times

Advertisements

I work for a large corporation. We have many buildings. We have hallways in each building, and connection every building. A cafeteria is on the other side of the complex. The hallways are wide, can can easily accommodate many people walking in opposite directions.

Why is it that so many people walk four across, blocking the entire hallway? I was just coming back from the cafeteria with my lunch in a 'to go' bag. There were three (large) people walking toward me shoulder to shoulder, blocking the entire hallway. I moved my lunch from my side to in front of me, and there still wasn't enough room to walk past them. They saw me coming, and did no move to give me room to pass. I bumped the one person, almost knocking them down. They said "hey", and I responded with "I can't make myself disappear, and I can't fly, so you need to move over" and kept walking.

When my co-workers and I walk in the hallways, and see someone coming from the other direction, we drop behind on another to make it easier for them to pass.

Why is it that so many people are so self-centered that they can't see past their noses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2007, 01:11 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
I have noticed this too. It is not just in hallways but even at the mall or on sidewalks. Like you said, I can't just disappear of fly over you, you have to MOVE OVER!! I don't get it either. I've taught my kids to "stay to the right" and I will even on purpose at times say it loud enough for others to hear, as in GET THE HINT. This is one of those peeves that bothers me just as much as the people that stand waiting for the elevator RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE DOOR!!! Hello moron, in order for YOU to get ON, I need to get OFF. Stay off to the side of the doors and wait till they open to see if there is anyone needing off before jumping in their way or preventing us from being able to get off.

Old 01-12-2007, 03:33 PM

8,942 posts, read 20,370,228 times
Unfortunately, a lot of people in today's society just simply DON'T CARE how they act, where they walk, whatever. The bigger problem of this is......it isn't going to change. Just go into some restrooms in Target or Wal Mart and look at what some people do: dont' flush the toilets or the urinals and you can find toilet paper all over the floor in some stalls. Just what kind of people are they and would you like to see how their house looks inside (I don't think I even want to go there).
Some people are just plain....... you fill in the space!

Old 01-12-2007, 03:54 PM

431 posts, read 393,749 times
There's a wide range of rude behaviors that we all experience pretty much on a daily basis, and one of the most rude are annoying ring tones and cell phone conversations in general. People talking on cell phones, in public places, in a loud or annoying manner ~ they could care less about anyone around them. It's a "me, me, me" society we live in. People curse in public, yell at their kids, reply to a text message in the middle of a conversation with you. Human decency is on the decline. Not much hope for a change since, unfortunately, most of today's parents are the ones who are so rude, so this is being taught to kids as the normal way to behave.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:05 PM

8,942 posts, read 20,370,228 times
Lannie, how TRUTHFULLY RIGHT you are!! It's like I have said in another Thread, "How many of you want to go back to the "good ol' days" of Lassie and Rin Tin Tin????????" If the wife and I could, we SURE would.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:47 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I have noticed this too. It is not just in hallways but even at the mall or on sidewalks. Like you said, I can't just disappear of fly over you, you have to MOVE OVER!! I don't get it either. I've taught my kids to "stay to the right" and I will even on purpose at times say it loud enough for others to hear, as in GET THE HINT. This is one of those peeves that bothers me just as much as the people that stand waiting for the elevator RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE DOOR!!! Hello moron, in order for YOU to get ON, I need to get OFF. Stay off to the side of the doors and wait till they open to see if there is anyone needing off before jumping in their way or preventing us from being able to get off.
I know what you mean momof2dfw. When I lived in San Francisco, getting off a MUNI train or bus, or a BART train meant avoiding being trampled by the people swarming into the trains or buses as the doors opened instead of allowing these disembarking to get off first. I finally got to the point where I just looked down and crossed my arms so that my elbows were making sharp points and plowed through the incoming hordes.
There are benefits to being slim...the bones make sharper points at contact!

Old 01-16-2007, 12:14 PM

409 posts, read 1,237,015 times
I tried something new today. I now walk with my drink in my outside hand. People seem to move when the fear of a 24oz drink being dumped on them is there.

Old 01-16-2007, 12:34 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyandMarried View Post
I tried something new today. I now walk with my drink in my outside hand. People seem to move when the fear of a 24oz drink being dumped on them is there.
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good one. But, you mean they actually NOTICED the drink? They can't see a person their same size coming but they can see a 24oz drink cup? LOL!!! This reminds me though of something just as rude involving a drink. We had just gotten to the hockey game, bought a large Dr Pepper, went to our seats and put it in the cupholder right in front of us. The game had not started yet and this man and his young son come in and need down our row so we stand up out of the way for them. The man KNOCKS the drink over and spills the entire thing. Never said a word or even offered to buy another one. WTH!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sorry, I would be FLYING to buy someone another drink, I don't think I could get it fast enough nor say "I'm so sorry" enough. We ourselves had to get the usher to call for cleanup as it went all over the floor in front of us at our feet and the people in front of us. I'm sorry but you all know how much a large drink costs at these places, in the $6 range. I buy the large one to last me the entire game. To me that was just as rude if not more so than not moving out of the way. Blows my mind everyday at how rude some people are.

Old 01-16-2007, 08:32 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,934,948 times
It just isn't the same world we grew up in, is it? That's not a knock on the younger generation so much as it is the times in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics