Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2023, 09:17 PM

21,674 posts, read 8,819,807 times

Advertisements

Welcome to Questions of the Day for Sunday, August 20, 2023. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Leo. Some notable people born on this date include philosopher Paul Tillich, authors H.P. Lovecraft and Jacqueline Susann, architect Eero Saarinen, boxing promoter Don King, musicians Isaac Hayes, Robert Plant and John Hiatt; journalist Connie Chung, TV personality Al Roker and actresses Joan Allen, Amy Adams and Demi Lovato.

Today’s Questions:
Today is National Radio Day. How many radios are in your home?

What is the oldest item of clothing that you own? Do you still wear it?

What is at least one thing that you are really good at?

Are you still in touch with any friends from your school days?

What do you miss the most about being a child?

Today in History:
636 – Battle of Yarmouk: Arab forces led by Khalid ibn al-Walid take control of the Levant away from the Byzantine Empire, marking the first great wave of Muslim conquests and the rapid advance of Islam outside Arabia.
1308 – Pope Clement V pardons Jacques de Molay, the last Grand Master of the Knights Templar, absolving him of charges of heresy.
1648 – Battle of Lens: An outnumbered and hastily assembled French army under Louis II de Bourbon, Prince de Condé, decisively defeats a Spanish army led by Archduke Leopold Wilhelm of Austria near Lens in the last major military confrontation of the Thirty Years' War, contributing to the signing of the Peace of Westphalia in October that year.
1707 – The first Siege of Pensacola comes to an end with the failure of the British to capture Pensacola, Florida.
1775 – The Spanish establish the Presidio San Augustin del Tucson in the town that becomes Tucson, Arizona.
1794 – Northwest Indian War: United States troops force a confederacy of Shawnee, Mingo, Delaware, Wyandot, Miami, Ottawa, Chippewa, and Potawatomi warriors into a disorganized retreat at the Battle of Fallen Timbers.
1858 – Charles Darwin first publishes his theory of evolution through natural selection in The Journal of the Proceedings of the Linnean Society of London, alongside Alfred Russel Wallace's same theory.
1866 – President Andrew Johnson formally declares the American Civil War over.
1882 – Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture debuts in Moscow, Russia.
1905 – Sun Yat-sen, Song Jiaoren, and others establish the Tongmenghui, a Republican, anti-Qing revolutionary organization, in Tokyo, Japan.
1914 – World War I: Brussels is captured during the German invasion of Belgium.
1920 – The first commercial radio station, 8MK (now WWJ), begins operations in Detroit.
1920 – The National Football League is organized as the American Professional Football Conference in Canton, Ohio
1926 – Japan's public broadcasting company, Nippon Hōsō Kyōkai (NHK) is established.
1938 – Lou Gehrig hits his 23rd career grand slam, a record that stood for 75 years until it was broken by Alex Rodriguez.
1940 – In Mexico City, exiled Russian revolutionary Leon Trotsky is fatally wounded with an ice axe by Ramón Mercader. He dies the next day.
1940 – World War II: British Prime Minister Winston Churchill makes the fourth of his famous wartime speeches, containing the line "Never was so much owed by so many to so few".
1944 – World War II: One hundred sixty-eight captured allied airmen, including Phil Lamason, accused by the Gestapo of being "terror fliers", arrive at Buchenwald concentration camp.
1949 – Hungary adopts the Hungarian Constitution of 1949 and becomes a People's Republic.
1962 – The NS Savannah, the world's first nuclear-powered civilian ship, embarks on its maiden voyage.
1968 – Cold War: Warsaw Pact troops invade Czechoslovakia, crushing the Prague Spring.
1975 – Viking program: NASA launches the Viking 1 planetary probe toward Mars.
1977 – Voyager program: NASA launches the Voyager 2 spacecraft.
1988 – Iran–Iraq War: A ceasefire is agreed after almost eight years of war.
1991 – Dissolution of the Soviet Union, August Coup: More than 100,000 people rally outside the Soviet Union's parliament building protesting the coup aiming to depose President Mikhail Gorbachev.
1993 – After rounds of secret negotiations in Norway, the Oslo Accords are signed.
1998 – The Supreme Court of Canada rules that Quebec cannot legally secede from Canada without the federal government's approval.
1998 – U.S. embassy bombings: The United States launches cruise missile attacks against alleged al-Qaeda camps in Afghanistan and a suspected chemical weapons plant in Sudan in retaliation for the August 7 bombings of American embassies in Kenya and Tanzania.
2002 – A group of Iraqis opposed to the regime of Saddam Hussein take over the Iraqi embassy in Berlin, Germany for five hours before releasing their hostages and surrendering.
2014 – Seventy-two people are killed in Japan's Hiroshima Prefecture by a series of landslides caused by a month's worth of rain that fell in one day.
2020 – Joe Biden gives his acceptance speech virtually for the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination at the 2020 Democratic National Convention.

Word of the Day:
fungible \FUN-juh-bul\ adjective
· (of a product or commodity) replaceable by another identical item; mutually interchangeable.
"it is by no means the world's only fungible commodity"
· something (as money or a commodity) one part or quantity of which can be substituted for another of equal value in paying a debt or settling an account. Oil, wheat, and lumber are fungible commodities.

Quote of the Day:
“We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
- H. P. Lovecraft

Today Is:
World Mosquito Day
International Day of Medical Transporters
National Chocolate Pecan Pie Day
National Accessible Air Travel Day
National Radio Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2023, 12:40 AM

44,720 posts, read 61,951,002 times
Today’s Questions:
Today is National Radio Day. How many radios are in your home? 2

What is the oldest item of clothing that you own? Do you still wear it? Old work shirt, wear it doing dirty yard work.

What is at least one thing that you are really good at? Napping.

Are you still in touch with any friends from your school days? No.

What do you miss the most about being a child? Being playful with friends.

Old 08-20-2023, 02:31 AM

37,832 posts, read 41,178,545 times
Today’s Questions:
One but it isn't plugged in nor are the batteries in it.

What is the oldest item of clothing that you own? Do you still wear it? I got rid of almost all of my old clothes when I retired and moved so nothing is more than 16 years old. I'd say an old shirt which is the same as my newer shirts, just a different color.

What is at least one thing that you are really good at? analysis

Are you still in touch with any friends from your school days? No

What do you miss the most about being a child? Going to school/learning new things.

Old 08-20-2023, 04:22 AM

11,426 posts, read 9,356,197 times
Today’s Questions:
Today is National Radio Day. How many radios are in your home? - Zero

What is the oldest item of clothing that you own? Do you still wear it? - IDK. I do not wear anything that I consider old.

What is at least one thing that you are really good at? - Good worker and colleague.

Are you still in touch with any friends from your school days? - Nope

What do you miss the most about being a child? - Nothing. Perhaps if I had an actual childhood...

Thanks, Bay!

Old 08-20-2023, 04:38 AM

16,751 posts, read 17,524,682 times
Bonjour Bay!

Today’s Questions:

One dedicated radio, plus various devices capable of delivering radio programmes.

It's a sheepskin coat that I bought in 1976. It still looks really good, and I did wear it when we had our last really cold snap here. I used to be able to wear it with a jacket underneath, now with just a sweater, but still pretty good going, I guess. I can't bear to part with it. I also have well made shoes that I have had for around forty years, re-soled, re-healed when required.

I don't like blowing my own trumpet, but I'm pretty good at general knowledge quizes, with a background in both science and the arts.

A couple on FB. Generally I have moved on from those days, and my days in the UK.

Hmm. My sister. She died of cancer ten years ago.

Merci Bay.

Old 08-20-2023, 05:00 AM

9,784 posts, read 14,358,171 times
Today’s Questions:
Today is National Radio Day. How many radios are in your home? Just one old one in the basement I should get rid of.

What is the oldest item of clothing that you own? My cherished Grateful Dead T Shirt
Do you still wear it? No, but when I open my closet and see it, I get a "warm" feeling!

What is at least one thing that you are really good at? Organizing

Are you still in touch with any friends from your school days? I tried going to a couple girlie lunches (8-10 women...High School Class of 1958) but my life is far removed from theirs. They don't understand why I'm "still working"????? OMG!!!! (they don't get it that it's my choice to work and own a business). All they talk about is their great-grandchildren (I have none). Most of those women are not mobile or have serious health issues. I won't be going to those lunches anymore.

1) My parents
2) My mother's "bird in the nest" breakfasts she fixed me
3) My father, teaching me how to start a bonfire without matches
4) My mother sewing my gown for my 8th grade prom
5) My father teaching me how to drive
6) My mother and father teaching me good work ethic

Thanks, Bay

Last edited by rdlr; 08-20-2023 at 06:05 AM..

Old 08-20-2023, 06:04 AM

7,998 posts, read 5,433,083 times
Good Morning

Today’s Questions:
Today is National Radio Day. How many radios are in your home? Zero

What is at least one thing that you are really good at? Procrastinating

What do you miss the most about being a child? Riding bikes all day, having badminton tournaments, Girl Scouts

Today in History:

1991 – Dissolution of the Soviet Union, August Coup: More than 100,000 people rally outside the Soviet Union's parliament building protesting the coup aiming to depose President Mikhail Gorbachev.

Thanks Bay!

Today Is:
World Mosquito Day
National Radio Day

Happy Sunday!

Old 08-20-2023, 06:21 AM

30,788 posts, read 16,422,116 times
Today’s Questions:

none

probably a winter jacket I bought as a souvenir of Maine. Only worn when the temp drops below 25F

procrastinating

nope. That was over 50 yrs ago. Don't even know how many are still alive.

not much.

Thanks, Bay. watch out for Hilary

Old 08-20-2023, 06:32 AM

7,275 posts, read 7,152,743 times
Today’s Questions:

Proper radio, just one I keep in the garage. But we have Alexa so each one of them can be a radio, too. Plus both cars.

Probably my wool dress coat. And no, I don't wear it but I kept it because I have relatives who live up north and maybe I might need it.

Nothing, really. All my skills are middle of the road.

Via facebook, just a couple.

Not being the one to plan, worry, or pay the bills!

Old 08-20-2023, 07:04 AM

126,437 posts, read 19,199,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Welcome to Questions of the Day for Sunday, August 20, 2023. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Leo. Some notable people born on this date include philosopher Paul Tillich, authors H.P. Lovecraft and Jacqueline Susann, architect Eero Saarinen, boxing promoter Don King, musicians Isaac Hayes, Robert Plant and John Hiatt; journalist Connie Chung, TV personality Al Roker and actresses Joan Allen, Amy Adams and Demi Lovato.

Today’s Questions:
Today is National Radio Day. How many radios are in your home? ................Three

What is the oldest item of clothing that you own? Do you still wear it?..............Scottish skirts,Walkjankers,Dirndls,shoes from Germany,Lodenmantel ...

What is at least one thing that you are really good at?...................Baking and singing

Are you still in touch with any friends from your school days?.............Yes all the way back to Grade one

What do you miss the most about being a child?................Mothers cooking,walking with my father through the forest,visiting my grandmothers and more

Today in History:
636 – Battle of Yarmouk: Arab forces led by Khalid ibn al-Walid take control of the Levant away from the Byzantine Empire, marking the first great wave of Muslim conquests and the rapid advance of Islam outside Arabia.
1308 – Pope Clement V pardons Jacques de Molay, the last Grand Master of the Knights Templar, absolving him of charges of heresy.
1648 – Battle of Lens: An outnumbered and hastily assembled French army under Louis II de Bourbon, Prince de Condé, decisively defeats a Spanish army led by Archduke Leopold Wilhelm of Austria near Lens in the last major military confrontation of the Thirty Years' War, contributing to the signing of the Peace of Westphalia in October that year.
1707 – The first Siege of Pensacola comes to an end with the failure of the British to capture Pensacola, Florida.
1775 – The Spanish establish the Presidio San Augustin del Tucson in the town that becomes Tucson, Arizona.
1794 – Northwest Indian War: United States troops force a confederacy of Shawnee, Mingo, Delaware, Wyandot, Miami, Ottawa, Chippewa, and Potawatomi warriors into a disorganized retreat at the Battle of Fallen Timbers.
1858 – Charles Darwin first publishes his theory of evolution through natural selection in The Journal of the Proceedings of the Linnean Society of London, alongside Alfred Russel Wallace's same theory.
1882 – Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture debuts in Moscow, Russia.
1905 – Sun Yat-sen, Song Jiaoren, and others establish the Tongmenghui, a Republican, anti-Qing revolutionary organization, in Tokyo, Japan.
1914 – World War I: Brussels is captured during the German invasion of Belgium.
1920 – The first commercial radio station, 8MK (now WWJ), begins operations in Detroit.
1920 – The National Football League is organized as the American Professional Football Conference in Canton, Ohio
1926 – Japan's public broadcasting company, Nippon Hōsō Kyōkai (NHK) is established.
1938 – Lou Gehrig hits his 23rd career grand slam, a record that stood for 75 years until it was broken by Alex Rodriguez.
1940 – In Mexico City, exiled Russian revolutionary Leon Trotsky is fatally wounded with an ice axe by Ramón Mercader. He dies the next day.
1940 – World War II: British Prime Minister Winston Churchill makes the fourth of his famous wartime speeches, containing the line "Never was so much owed by so many to so few".
1944 – World War II: One hundred sixty-eight captured allied airmen, including Phil Lamason, accused by the Gestapo of being "terror fliers", arrive at Buchenwald concentration camp.
1949 – Hungary adopts the Hungarian Constitution of 1949 and becomes a People's Republic.
1962 – The NS Savannah, the world's first nuclear-powered civilian ship, embarks on its maiden voyage.
1968 – Cold War: Warsaw Pact troops invade Czechoslovakia, crushing the Prague Spring.
1975 – Viking program: NASA launches the Viking 1 planetary probe toward Mars.
1977 – Voyager program: NASA launches the Voyager 2 spacecraft.
1993 – After rounds of secret negotiations in Norway, the Oslo Accords are signed.
1998 – The Supreme Court of Canada rules that Quebec cannot legally secede from Canada without the federal government's approval.
1998 – U.S. embassy bombings: The United States launches cruise missile attacks against alleged al-Qaeda camps in Afghanistan and a suspected chemical weapons plant in Sudan in retaliation for the August 7 bombings of American embassies in Kenya and Tanzania.
2002 – A group of Iraqis opposed to the regime of Saddam Hussein take over the Iraqi embassy in Berlin, Germany for five hours before releasing their hostages and surrendering.
2014 – Seventy-two people are killed in Japan's Hiroshima Prefecture by a series of landslides caused by a month's worth of rain that fell in one day.
2020 – Joe Biden gives his acceptance speech virtually for the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination at the 2020 Democratic National Convention.

Word of the Day:
fungible \FUN-juh-bul\ adjective
· (of a product or commodity) replaceable by another identical item; mutually interchangeable.
"it is by no means the world's only fungible commodity"
· something (as money or a commodity) one part or quantity of which can be substituted for another of equal value in paying a debt or settling an account. Oil, wheat, and lumber are fungible commodities.

Quote of the Day:
“We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
- H. P. Lovecraft

Today Is:
World Mosquito Day
National Radio Day

Thank you Bayarea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics