Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2022, 08:38 AM

7,445 posts, read 5,547,080 times

Advertisements

Good morning, beautiful people! I went to check for the questions for the day and realized that it's on me! Sorry - I've been reveling in 30 degrees instead of the forecast of below zero with the wind chill factored in (10 degrees if you don't factor in 40 mph gusts from the north). Actually, I've been wallowing in my bed. So here we go with the questions:

1. Tell us about a particular cold snap you've experienced in the past. I think it was 5-6 years ago we had a polar vortex and every place closed for one day.

2. Are you expecting more snow before 2023? How much if you are. Not sure, we are suppose to get a big snow storm with wind and zero temp. Tomorrow, but the weather reporters keep changing their minds. It’s a big joke where I live that we might get 0-180 inches or it might rain or nothing.

3. Tell us your favorite memory involving snow or ice. Big snow storm I think it was 1967/68. Snow was up to my waist.

4. How deep was the biggest snow you've ever seen? I think probably 6 feet.

5. Does where you live typically get snow each year? Yes. If yes, how much is typical? Depends, usually 1-4 inches. Some years are worse than others.

6. How many outdoor faucet covers do you own? Yesterday I had to go to three hardware stores before I found any. Plus two of my outdoor faucets have hoses on them that are completely stuck - I have tried and tried to get them off - I've even tapped on them, and gone after them with a wrench and no luck. None

7. What do you do to get ready for winter temperatures, if anything? Get out the shovels, ice scrapers and brushes for our cars. Make sure the furnace is ok. Get out the winter blankets and clothes.

8. Have you ever experienced a white Christmas? Yes. Tell us about it if so. We usually have snow by Christmas.

9. What's your favorite holiday song and why? White Christmas. Pretty song.

That's all I've got for today. Happy Hump Day and peace out!
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2022, 10:42 AM

24,684 posts, read 26,256,936 times
1. Tell us about a particular cold snap you've experienced in the past.
Locally in So CA there was a freeze warning and the temps dropped into the 20's. this required all the surrounding orange groves to fire up their smudge posts to help prevent freezing. Very unusual for us.

2. Are you expecting more snow before 2023? How much if you are.
Locally none, Sierras, s few feet.

3. Tell us your favorite memory involving snow or ice.
Back in the mid 40's in OH we talked the mayor into blocking off the street that was good for sledding because of the hill it was on.Us kids enhanced the snow on the road by adding water that turned to ice. Perfect Neighbors were not to happy as they couldn't drive up ot down hill without sliding into a ditch.Over night, the tickked off neighbors spread ashes from their furnaces up and down the hill effectivly ruining our sledding.

4. How deep was the biggest snow you've ever seen?
Deepest I've seen is in Glacier NP.
https://blog.glaciermt.com/wp-conten...98fabcd3_b.jpg

5. Does where you live typically get snow each year? If yes, how much is typical?
In 60 years here, we have only seen a dusting of snow back in the late 60's

6. How many outdoor faucet covers do you own? Yesterday I had to go to three hardware stores before I found any. Plus two of my outdoor faucets have hoses on them that are completely stuck - I have tried and tried to get them off - I've even tapped on them, and gone after them with a wrench and no luck.
None, never heard of them.

7. What do you do to get ready for winter temperatures, if anything?
Change from shorts to jeans and make sure my hoody is handy.

8. Have you ever experienced a white Christmas? Tell us about it if so.
Possibly when I lived in OH.

9. What's your favorite holiday song and why?
Both of King and Countrys version of the Little Dummer Boy.

Thanx Karhrine, stay comfy and warm.

Old 12-21-2022, 10:42 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,882,870 times
[quote=KathrynAragon;64625340]Good morning, beautiful people! I went to check for the questions for the day and realized that it's on me! Sorry - I've been reveling in 30 degrees instead of the forecast of below zero with the wind chill factored in (10 degrees if you don't factor in 40 mph gusts from the north). Actually, I've been wallowing in my bed. So here we go with the questions:

Oh it's coming tomorrow night. It's going to be brutal but not as brutal -20 without the wind chill.
There is a bomb cyclone coming tomorrow.
The big 1967 storm when I was a kid. It was amazing.
When I lived in the Sierra Nevada mountains I would sink up to my cheeky monkeys in snow.
5. Does where you live typically get snow each year? If yes, how much is typical?
We do, but not nearly enough. It used to be on the ground in early December until late March. It's not like that anymore.
6. How many outdoor faucet covers do you own? Yesterday I had to go to three hardware stores before I found any. Plus two of my outdoor faucets have hoses on them that are completely stuck - I have tried and tried to get them off - I've even tapped on them, and gone after them with a wrench and no luck.
Oh oh. We have 3 outside faucets but they have never been covered.
We just put in the interior storm windows. We insulated the house years ago and put weather stripping around each door. We have 4 exterior doors. We also have an oil space heater going now with the pocket doors closed. Our furnace is so old. We will replace it next spring, if it makes it.
Yes. It's rare these days but we will definitely have one this year. My first Christmas with our Indian friends was a white Christmas. The little one was 5 and we dressed up warm and went for a walk with our magic glasses. When you look at the Christmas lights wearing the glasses, it will show you different shapes. It was snowing and just magical.
It's a toss up between a choir singing Silent Night and Dance of The Sugar Plum Fairy.

Thanks Kathryn. My college shorty and his brother are coming tonight. He just got back from the Galapagos. I haven't seen them since the 4th of July.

Old 12-21-2022, 01:17 PM

44,752 posts, read 62,104,060 times
1. Tell us about a particular cold snap you've experienced in the past. -8F in Korea when in the military. It was plain 'ol cold.

2. Are you expecting more snow before 2023? How much if you are. No snow here.

3. Tell us your favorite memory involving snow or ice. Taking the kids to the mountains to play in the snow for their first time.

4. How deep was the biggest snow you've ever seen? 6-8 feet.

5. Does where you live typically get snow each year? If yes, how much is typical? Zero here in the desert.

6. How many outdoor faucet covers do you own? n/a Yesterday I had to go to three hardware stores before I found any. Plus two of my outdoor faucets have hoses on them that are completely stuck - I have tried and tried to get them off - I've even tapped on them, and gone after them with a wrench and no luck.

7. What do you do to get ready for winter temperatures, if anything? Nothing.

8. Have you ever experienced a white Christmas? Tell us about it if so. Only overseas in Korea when in the military.

9. What's your favorite holiday song and why? No favorite.

Old 12-21-2022, 02:02 PM

8,003 posts, read 5,454,126 times
Good Afternoon Peeps!

1. Tell us about a particular cold snap you've experienced in the past. When I was in Chicago a few weeks ago--oh, that wind hitting on my face--it stung!

2. Are you expecting more snow before 2023? How much if you are. Who knows?! Some years we get a lot, some little. I feel like we are due for a blizzard!

3. Tell us your favorite memory involving snow or ice. A few years ago when we had two blizzards in a row. The piles of snow on my driveway were over five feet!

4. How deep was the biggest snow you've ever seen? ~four feet

5. Does where you live typically get snow each year? If yes, how much is typical? Nothing typical here--some years we get a lot, some not so much.

6. How many outdoor faucet covers do you own? Two Yesterday I had to go to three hardware stores before I found any. Plus two of my outdoor faucets have hoses on them that are completely stuck - I have tried and tried to get them off - I've even tapped on them, and gone after them with a wrench and no luck. <--typical, my plumber told me to be sure to unscrew them from time to time or they will not be able to come off.

7. What do you do to get ready for winter temperatures, if anything? Normally do a check on my car tires to be sure they are in good shape.

8. Have you ever experienced a white Christmas? Tell us about it if so. Yes, many. Love them.

9. What's your favorite holiday song and why? Raffi, "On Christmas Morning". It reminds me of the joy my sons had on Christmas morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGZ2iQvJuw8

^Thanks Kathryn !

Old 12-21-2022, 02:19 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,670,207 times
Great answers, everyone and thank you thank you thank you!

Old 12-21-2022, 04:50 PM

11,446 posts, read 9,393,489 times
1. Tell us about a particular cold snap you've experienced in the past. - Worth repeating that I'd rather deal with cold than the heat index at 95+ degrees F. We had way too many of them this past summer.

2. Are you expecting more snow before 2023? How much if you are. - A trace is possible.

3. Tell us your favorite memory involving snow or ice. - 3 major snow storms during the 2009-2010 winter including back to back on February 5th and 10th. 30+ inches on the 5th then an additional 17. Where I was living at we lost power for 2 full days. A memory for sure. Really don't have a favorite. Well, maybe the Vermont snow I experienced in 2014. I love Vermont!

4. How deep was the biggest snow you've ever seen? ^

5. Does where you live typically get snow each year? If yes, how much is typical? - We haven't had a good snow since 2015.

6. How many outdoor faucet covers do you own? Yesterday I had to go to three hardware stores before I found any. Plus two of my outdoor faucets have hoses on them that are completely stuck - I have tried and tried to get them off - I've even tapped on them, and gone after them with a wrench and no luck. - N/A.

7. What do you do to get ready for winter temperatures, if anything? - It doesn't bother me as much as others. I want to move further north to escape the extreme heat.

8. Have you ever experienced a white Christmas? Tell us about it if so. - No memory of one.

9. What's your favorite holiday song and why? - See answer #7, yesterday's QOTD. I like rock.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/64620268-post8.html

Thanks, Kathryn!

Old 12-21-2022, 07:33 PM

1,896 posts, read 871,117 times
1. Tell us about a particular cold snap you've experienced in the past. The 2021 Texas blizzard . The neighborhoods around us lost power for a multiple days, but there is a reptile zoo next to use which never lost power and probably saved us from a life without power. Saying that not having plumbing for 5 days was no fun.

2. Are you expecting more snow before 2023? How much if you are. No, hoping to get at least 1-2" next year.

3. Tell us your favorite memory involving snow or ice. Had a decent snowfall in the D/FW when I was a kid and with all the other kids on the street we built little forts in the front yards and had a large snowball fight.

4. How deep was the biggest snow you've ever seen? 10" at one time (North NJ). Seen snow packs in the 10' range (central MN) quite a sight.

5. Does where you live typically get snow each year? If yes, how much is typical? Nothing to maybe 2-3"

6. How many outdoor faucet covers do you own? Personally none, but the building has three. Someone uncovered the main valve for the community during the last freeze which froze up right away. This probably saved many a residence from ruptured pipes as there was no water in the system (other then in the ground).

7. What do you do to get ready for winter temperatures, if anything? Plants inside and lots of layers of clothing.

8. Have you ever experienced a white Christmas? Tell us about it if so. Almost every year as a kid-teen. Will be going back to Scotland for the first time in about 15 years next year.

9. What's your favorite holiday song and why? Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas Time - Paul McCartney

Old 12-21-2022, 07:48 PM

453 posts, read 172,266 times
Early 2011. We had a night where it got down to like -30F. In Oklahoma. I'd expect people to have ran around acting like it was the apocalypse considering they think that 60 degrees is cold down here. Oh, and it got up to 80 degrees a week later.

We're hoping to get a little. Maybe if we get up to an inch and it sticks around we might have our first white Christmas since 2009.

The big ice storm of 2007 cancelling my finals and thus allowing for me to not have to take my College Algebra final, saving my butt because I am terrible at math!

Probably early 2011. We got over a foot.

When I was little snow was a lot more regular. Like not North regular, but we'd get a good storm of at least 6 inches a year. Now we're lucky if we get above 1 inch total for a season.

6. How many outdoor faucet covers do you own?
Faucet covers? Hm?

Um... dress warm? What else do I need to do?

Yes. The last one was 2009. It was the first recorded blizzard in the Tulsa area. Lol. I think the last time we had a white Christmas before that was 2000.

O Come O Come Emmanuel and Coventry Carols. They both have roots to early music, which is cool. (The former uses a melody from a medieval piece, the second song I believe has origins in the Renaissance altogether).

Old 12-21-2022, 08:58 PM

21,729 posts, read 8,867,054 times
It's been chillier than usual here, but we almost never get freezing temperatures.
We don't get any snow.
My stepsister and I were snowed in at a house in Lake Tahoe. It snowed continually for about four days straight. I'd never seen that much snow before. I learned how to shovel snow and built a snowman, more things I'd never done before.
I'm not sure, maybe about 4-6 feet at a ski resort in the Sierra.
No, we don't normally get any snow. On rare occasions there might be a light dusting that melts quickly, but when that happens it's front page news.
None. They are not needed in our climate.
Nothing.
I've never had a white Christmas.
"O Come All Ye Faithful" because I have a memory of hearing my father harmonizing to it on Christmas Eve on one of the extremely rare occasions he set foot in a church.

Thanks, KathrynAragon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics