Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2022, 11:05 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,596,319 times

Advertisements

I stopped at a 2-table roadside rest area once, peacefully refreshing myself with tortilla chips and bean dip and a generic cola, when another car stopped. Man, woman, couple of kids in back. Long drive, stopping to switch drivers. Both front doors opened, the two adults walked around the front of the car, and when they crossed over in front, they touched each other. They touched.

I wanted to run over and give them a Gold Star, but I didn't happen to have any on me at the moment.
Maybe someone should market a travel-pak of gold stars, for moments like this.

What kind of things have you seen that deserved a gold star?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2022, 11:30 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,791,370 times
My first grade teacher, just to return the favor and let her know what an impression she made in my life and the other children she taught.

The sweet girl who brought out my groceries and wouldn't accept a tip.

The 87 year old lady who struck up a conversation with me at Hardee's. She spun around and starting talking to me like she knew me. She was so inspiring with her make-up, coiffed hair, clothes, jewelry, shoes and purse that all matched and just her general spunky and pleasant attitude. I even took a picture of her. She told me that at her age all that a lady had left sometimes was to dress up and make herself feel better. So sweet.

Old 07-31-2022, 05:11 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,051,946 times
A stranger who helped me several years ago, when I was recovering from extensive foot surgery. It was wintertime, and I was using a knee walker. Despite the presence of several inches of snow on the ground, I needed to go to the grocery store. I drove to the store and got out of the car. I had to hop on one foot to get my knee walker out from the back seat. It was very difficult wheeling through the parking lot and into the store. When I got inside and went to get a shopping cart, I realized that I couldn't use the walker AND push a cart at the same time. How could I shop? What to do?

I stood there, looking at the carts and fighting back tears, (it had already been a long and difficult day), when a lady came up to me and asked whether she could help by pushing a cart for me. She proceeded to help me shop, then helped me get my stuff to the car, and then went back in to do her own shopping. What a wonderful example of grace! Her name was Gloria. She would not accept anything but my thanks for helping me in such a big way. She deserves a whole slew of gold stars!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 07-31-2022, 05:34 PM

9,720 posts, read 14,257,964 times
January 2022, we had a small snowstorm. That was after my husband passed away Christmas Eve, 2021. We have a town ordinance saying we have to clear our main sidewalks within hours after it stops snowing. I didn't think I should try to shovel, at age 82, so while I was pondering.....I looked out the window and the Mayor of the Town was clearing my sidewalks and driveway, even brushing the snow off my car. He deserves a bunch of gold stars, and I'll be forever grateful.

Old 07-31-2022, 07:02 PM

5,576 posts, read 6,501,669 times
I've said before on other threads, place an order at JellyBelly.com for their individual packages of "Thank You" branded jelly beans. Order a case (30 total) and it comes out to a little over $1.00 a package, I believe. Then just give them to those who go above and beyond helping you or someone else. Everyone I give one to is VERY pleasantly surprised. The last young man I gave one to actually said, with a big smile, "you made my day".

Old 08-01-2022, 04:23 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,596,319 times
When driving, I often take "long cuts" to see the country --, back roads from A to B. Once, I think in Louisiana, I came around a curve, and saw a quite overweight 30-ias woman suddenly slow from a jog to a nonchalant stroll. My first 2+2 added up to, she had decided, privately. to do something about her weight and was embarassed to be caught in the act. From my own experience, I knew the feeling. When I came alongside her, she gave me the sweetest smile and a friendly wave, maybe relieved that I was a stranger. I felt like her support group of one, and wanted to give her a gold star. Such a little thing. Why do I remember that, after maybe 30 years.

Old 08-07-2022, 10:44 AM
Status: ""Someone for Everyone" is a CLICHE" (set 18 days ago)

30 posts, read 31,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post

What kind of things have you seen that deserved a gold star?
Recently visited a small church in a town in Colorado...The local parishioners were so friendly! It reminded me of the town of Mayberry in the Andy Griffith Show!

Their welcoming hospitality was truly inspiring...They treated me (a visitor) like I was one of them!

Old 08-11-2022, 10:59 AM

2,157 posts, read 1,442,340 times
Youngster in blue deserves a gold star.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XED8sHBF3L8

Old 08-11-2022, 03:48 PM

560 posts, read 786,103 times
What an uplifting thread! And on a particularly unpleasant day reminded me that I have been on the receiving end of some extraordinary acts of kindness from complete strangers. These memories and this topic has turned my day around.

Some have occurred recently, but I'll never forget this exceptionally peculiar event that happened in the 1980s when I was living in downtown Long Beach. Not a safe area. Getting home from work late one evening, fumbling with my keys at the security door, (sort of a security door), while juggling a few bags of groceries with my large purse dangling from my shoulder. From behind me a deep masculine voice said, "Let me hold your things while you open the door." I thought uh oh, this will not end well. While I was floundering around with the lock this young man had picked up my groceries that I'd dropped. When the door was open he simply handed the bags back to me and told me to be more careful.

It probably bears mentioning again that this was a pretty dodgy neighborhood and the man looked just as dodgy. Anyway, it's not something I'll not forget because I was terrified, astonished, and so grateful. For those of you familiar with that area of L.B. CA, it's not far from where the old Long Beach Pike used to be.

Last edited by Seadory; 08-11-2022 at 04:00 PM..

Old 08-12-2022, 10:25 AM

24,452 posts, read 25,987,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
Youngster in blue deserves a gold star.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XED8sHBF3L8
Yes he does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics