Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2022, 02:50 AM

14,845 posts, read 8,178,035 times

Advertisements

I was playing words with friends and the person I was playing used the word Tara....(which I actually believe is a word...I mean it is the name of a Goddess or something if I recall, but also isn't it the name of the plantation in gone with the wind....and it was named after something in Ireland....been so long I can't remember...) they let them use the word but on the side it says that tara is not a word...this is the second time this has happened (the other was a different word, that really wasn't a word).
Here is a screen cap

I mean...what the heck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2022, 03:29 AM

21,608 posts, read 8,776,380 times
The rules might be different for her game if one of you is using an older version of the software. So the word "Tara" might be valid in her version's dictionary but not in yours. That's the only explanation I can think of.

Old 04-18-2022, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
The rules might be different for her game if one of you is using an older version of the software. So the word "Tara" might be valid in her version's dictionary but not in yours. That's the only explanation I can think of.

That makes sense....for some reason it never occurred to me though.
That is actually the only thing that does make sense. Thanks Midge.

Old 04-18-2022, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilistic View Post
Tara may be considered not valid becasuse its a NAME but in my opinion,any valid word is acceptable....

I have mostly played Scrabble myself not words........
I have played both online.

What is really weird some words can be valid on words with friends and not on scrabble and visa versa.

I guess it matter which dictionary they use. I also have some friends in the UK and some of the words valid when you play them on scrabble are not valid when you play other Americans and visa versa.
Scrabble use to have an American english version on FB and a UK English version...haven't played scrabble on FB in awhile so I am not sure if that still applies or not.

Old 04-18-2022, 10:29 PM

44,402 posts, read 20,136,139 times
I am addicted to WWF and have 40+ games going at any given time. (Blame rainroosty for my addiction. )

I believe WWF updates its dictionary frequently, and in order to have the latest version you need to uninstall and reinstall the app. (I won't swear to this, but a few people have told me that's the trick, and it seems to work for me.) I've noticed that in a game, sometimes my opponent will play a word that I'm not allowed to play. Frustrating! Also, I see the oddest plays made in the robot games. Example from a few days ago: QGP. C'mon now! That's not a word; it's an acronym. But according to the WWF dictionary, it's a valid word.

I've also noticed a difference in the dictionaries in the two versions of the WWF game. I almost always play WWF Classic, but occasionally I play WWF2. I prefer the classic, but 2 seems to have even more acceptable words in its dictionary.

In either game, the WWF dictionary is really screwy and contains a bunch of words which can't even be found in a Google search!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 04-19-2022, 03:45 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,093,369 times
This is why I don't play WWF anymore.

Old 04-19-2022, 07:03 PM

62,005 posts, read 87,675,913 times
I used to play WWF a lot (thanks, rainroosty!) but stopped because the app became so huge. Never liked WWF2.

According to:
https://wordfinder.yourdictionary.co...d-play-in-wwf/
Acronyms and abbreviations are words.

"Qgp” is a physics term. It stands for “quark-gluon plasma.” As with “cwm,” “qgp” is one of those funny 3 letter words with high scoring potential. It lets you get away with playing a word while only using consonants to spell it. Plus, one of the consonants is the often-pesky Q.

Go figure...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics