Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 05:51 PM

13,499 posts, read 9,998,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I just ate some ramen noodles, tines up, fork in right hand, no chop sticks, no slurping. But hey, I'm in the USA so it's all good! Whew, I was so worried (that's sarcasm, folks).

Then, because I was eating in the privacy of my own home, in my living room and not at the table, and not in a "fine dining restaurant" and with no guests present, I turned the bowl up and drank the rest of the soup. It was delicious.

I might even do that if someone was over - just depends.
That’s how everyone eats ramen noodles with a fork.

You only hold the fork in your left hand when you have a knife in the right hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2021, 06:31 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,835,501 times
I usually hold the fork in my left hand. I should be left handed. I was until they teachers had me learn to write right handed. Which I attribute to my poor penmanship. I do most things left handed anymore. Except write.

Old 08-06-2021, 07:20 PM

10,010 posts, read 5,715,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
You can of course flout basic etiquette norms if you really don't care or just like to rebel against "pointless" rules, but might as well recognize that other people will judge your manners to be poor.
Unless maybe I'm eating some place with a dress code forbidding jeans, anyone who judges me for eating peas with a spoon can jump in a geyser for all I care.

Old 08-06-2021, 08:09 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,653,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Of course restaurants serve soup; I didn't imply otherwise. But typically, you get a spoon with your soup and unless you make a point of saying you want to keep it, it is taken away with the soup bowl. It is not intended to be retained so that you can eat your peas with it.

I think it is funny that people are insisting that adults typically eat peas with a spoon. Maybe they do at home; I don't know what people do at home in private. But if I was out to dinner with someone and they were given a fork and knife to eat with, as is customary, I would think it was funny/peculiar if they called a server over and asked for a spoon because they couldn't figure out how to eat peas any other way.
I don't know what restaurants you're eating at. Most put a fork, knife, and spoon on the table or wrapped up in a napkin. I didn't say anything about eating peas so not sure why you're harping on peas. People will eat them however they want.

Old 08-07-2021, 07:48 AM

2,149 posts, read 1,519,981 times
Ok ok here is a peaceful solution to this crisis... no matter whats being served use both fork and spoon and use both hands at the same time...

Old 08-07-2021, 08:26 AM

5,194 posts, read 1,883,564 times
It depends what I'm eating. If it's something like a fruit salad or pasta then right hand, if I'm eating something that requires a lot of cutting up then the fork is in my left hand and the knife in my right hand.

Old 08-07-2021, 10:46 AM

2,149 posts, read 1,519,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman57 View Post
Ok ok here is a peaceful solution to this crisis... no matter whats being served use both fork and spoon and use both hands at the same time...
I feal compelled to add the Neanderthal Method - throw fork and spoon over shoulder and just use both hands and attack the food...with soup just lean over and slurp and as loudly as possible sorta like Curly of the 3 stooges. Wiping mouth on sleeve is permitted and when belching remember u must do so 3 times for it to be complimentary... thats what the French or Italians say.

Old 08-07-2021, 11:40 AM

44,658 posts, read 61,722,489 times
Who cares, let's eat.

Old 08-07-2021, 01:08 PM
bjh

60,147 posts, read 30,451,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Who cares, let's eat.
This!

Old 08-07-2021, 09:52 PM

44,382 posts, read 20,102,658 times
My mom taught me proper table manners. I am right handed, so I eat with my fork in my right hand. When I cut food, I hold it with the fork in my left hand and the knife in my right hand. After cutting, I move the fork to my right hand to eat the food.

My left handed friends eat with their forks in their left hands.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics